BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taken

I wonder why in Thailand traffic does not stop for Zebra crossing

I don't have any park in a nearby vicinity. Therefore have to do daily running on the pavements. Honestly not for a single time a car has stopped or given way to me on the 03 zebra crossings during my circular run of 10 Km.

Today while crossing a car was about to hit me, luckily got out of the way in time. Then the car driver honked at me twice in anger and anxiety as to why he was forced to slow down his vehicle. End of the day this is not my country. 

My humble request to all the drivers to please slow down and give way for pedestrians to cross road especially on the Zebra crossing. 

5 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

:cheesy::cheesy: what planet are you from?

I am learning from guys like you. It takes some time to acclimatize. Thankyou. 

6 minutes ago, taken said:

My humble request to all the drivers to please slow down and give way for pedestrians to cross road especially on the Zebra crossing.  

Please be careful. In the unlikely event that someone stops to let you cross, you can almost guarantee that the cars and/or motorcycles behind him will overtake (or undertake) and run you down as you step onto the crossing.

When I first started to drive here I treated zebra crossings as I would back home. I saw a few very close misses when I stopped. Now I drive like the locals (except that I do ease off the "go" pedal and cover the brake pedal when I see folks waiting to cross).

23 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

:cheesy::cheesy: what planet are you from?

from the planet of 9 posts

Because zebras aren't native to Thailand 😎

Because that would require, road safety and driver training, neither  of which are mandatory or evident here.

Besides I don't know of any other country that also puts zebra style crossings with no connecting path in the middle of  4 lanes of dual carriageways where speeds are 60+ - the mind boggles !

18 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Because zebras aren't native to Thailand 😎

And all the ones they imported were run over in the crossings they made for them. 

The Thai behaviour is very similar to the behaviour say in Europe...15 or 20 years ago.

It took the EU metros years, many merciless enforcement by police (done in a honest way), strong repression from the law, massive public safety campaigns and today people do STOP in zebra crossings in major western countries.  Simple.

They dont even stop for red lights till after many have gone thru the red...Why would they stop for a silly pedestrian?

TIT = Me First (sad but true)