Jump to content
BANGKOK
taken

I wonder why in Thailand traffic does not stop for Zebra crossing

Recommended Posts

Daily commute Bang Kunthian - Wangwian Yai - Yaowarat and vice versa, my opinion the traffic's wacky but most drivers & bikers are sane enough to not rude and cause a scene. now me never been to developed countries, but Thailand is quite better than nearby China, Vietnam, still needs improve though.

 

I'd say in my experience 2 out 4 Thai drivers are friendly enough to gently slow down to give way to pedestrians, many also OK to give way car cuts in row, 

1 out of 4 don't stop because safer to clear awared pedestrian, but too danger to sudden brake in front of tons bikers. usually give a hand gesture apologie

Still there're many is total sturbon jerk, no argue with that. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They do not care, they will happily run you over.
 
I am currently in a 1st world country where they actually obey zebra crossings .
They stop for pedestrians.
Plus no motorbikes on pavements.

Can you send picture?


Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, seasia said:

They do not care, they will happily run you over.

 

I am currently in a 1st world country where they actually obey zebra crossings .

They stop for pedestrians.

Plus no motorbikes on pavements.

I'll bet you're a non smoker...

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Crossing a road in Thailand seems to bring out the true a-hole in some drivers....

IMO it's the pedestrians (99% tourists) that cause the mayhem.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have you been to any Thai driving school or did you get any Thai driving lessons, they don't cover that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Baffles me as it's in the Thai highway code believe it or not. :whistling:

Yeh, but has any Thai read it?   LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mavideol said:

have you been to any Thai driving school or did you get any Thai driving lessons, they don't cover that

I am sure you must be knowing Thai driving rules. Then you must be aware of the fact why we see Zebra crossings everywhere in Thailand.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, taken said:

I am sure you must be knowing Thai driving rules. Then you must be aware of the fact why we see Zebra crossings everywhere in Thailand.

like many things here in Thailand, they are cover by their law, unfortunately nobody or the majority don't follow the law, zebra crossings (as explained above by daveaustin post) is covered by their code

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Section 32 and section 70 may help but as for stopping at a pedestrian crossing there appears to be no specific reference.

 

 

Thai driving rules.pdf 259.4 kB · 0 downloads

Exactly no specific reference.

It's no big deal like OP makes it out be, what I understand from DLT vids is you only stop if a pedestrian is physically on what's the Thai Pedestrian crossing, crosswalk (what westerners refer to wrongly as a Zebra crossing) they a white spaced strip only on the road surface, some I've seen are yellow from the road edge to opposite road edge.

A pedestrian is not suppose to assume that a car approaching is gonna stop they are supposed to wait until the road is clear to cross.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, taken said:

 I am learning from guys like you. It takes some time to acclimatize. Thankyou. 

the reason is no enforcement.

next.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Thailand these pedestrian are target zones.

 

In Australia if you see someone who is possibly think of using a pedestrian crossing you better stop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Exactly no specific reference.

It's no big deal like OP makes it out be, what I understand from DLT vids is you only stop if a pedestrian is physically on what's the Thai Pedestrian crossing, crosswalk (what westerners refer to wrongly as a Zebra crossing) they a white spaced strip only on the road surface, some I've seen are yellow from the road edge to opposite road edge.

A pedestrian is not suppose to assume that a car approaching is gonna stop they are supposed to wait until the road is clear to cross.

Then, why paint them on the road in the first place? If a pedestrian must wait until the road is clear, then it is a normal part of the road that doesn't need to be painted black and white. So, again, why the black and white paint?  Look sanook, look pretty , look handsome, makes the road look nice, What? 😞

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

The OP will be from Britain.

In UK the law is that Pedestrian Crossing belong to Pedestrians.

Once a pedestrian places a Foot on a "Zebra" crossing he owns it and is in the right in event of a traffic accident.

Thailand is different.

john

Once before I was a twinkle in my father's eye they were known as Belisher Crossings after the UK transport minister who introduced them in the 1930's.

That was because of the " belisher beacon " at the kerb.

220px-BelishabeaconLED.jpeg.eec83b389b8b3eba78a62f120c6b9df8.jpeg

 

Also it was only to be taken in humour in England and my Jamaican friends as well because the Zebra crossing were Black & White so whatever person it was on the crossing while approaching in a car you would say repeating  " Now I see ya now I don't ".  😄  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...