Jump to content
BANGKOK 16 July 2019 01:16
Steve80

Getting First Marriage Visa

Recommended Posts

I am a UK male under the age of 50 who is married to a Thai Female.

 

I would like to get a Thai Marriage Visa to live in Thailand with my Wife.

 

I am reading different things on different sites and they are not all stating the same thing. I am guessing some are out of date, such as on one site I read the 400,000 baht needs to be in an account for a period of three months, and another which stated a monthly income is required in addition to the 400,000 baht.

 

I have read the three main requirements are:

Marriage Visa Qualifications

  1. Must be legally married to a Thai national.
  2. Must not have any criminal history and can travel to Thailand.
  3. Must meet the financial requirement: security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application.

 

I have a Thai Bank Account in my name with this amount and meet these requirements.

 

It also says:

"Please note that you must first obtain a 90-day visa or a 1 year non-immigrant O visa from your home country or country of residence prior to your application for the Thai marriage visa."

 

This is where I am struggling. I found a page at: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

Which states as requirement for an O visa:

" Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over. "

Which I do not meet, and will not do so for some time, and have no control over, so I do not believe I can get a 1 year non-immigrant O visa, and will have to get a 90-day (single) entry visa.

 

I have also read that Non-Immigrant Type O (multiple entry) are no longer issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

 

I am guessing the 90-day visa is this one here:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7495/81755-Visa-Fees.html

 4. Non-Immigrant (3 months validity / Up to 90 days / Single Entry)

 

Does anyone know if there are any other requirements (medical certificate, financial income or otherwise) to be able to obtain the 90-day single entry visa, to be able to obtain the Marriage visa?

 

Also if what I have stated is correct at this current time, and if I run into any hurdles if there is anyone I should be "offering a gift" (or bribing) or should under no circumstances offer a gift, for the process to go as smoothly as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s very straightforward. First you need to apply for a a Single Entry Non-Immigrant ‘O’ Visa as listed on the website. You can apply online and send your passport/documents by post.

Non-Immigrant Type (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

 

When you enter Thailand with this visa you’ll be granted a 90 day stay. Within the last 30 (45 at some offices) days you go to your local immigration office and apply for a 1 year extension of stay. The 400K must have been in your Thai bank for at least 2 months prior to the date you apply.

 

33 minutes ago, Steve80 said:

Does anyone know if there are any other requirements (medical certificate, financial income or otherwise) to be able to obtain the 90-day single entry visa, to be able to obtain the Marriage visa?

There are no medical requirements. London should issue the visa with just a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your wife’s ID. No financials are usually insisted upon even though listed in the website.

 

33 minutes ago, Steve80 said:

Also if what I have stated is correct at this current time, and if I run into any hurdles if there is anyone I should be "offering a gift" (or bribing) or should under no circumstances offer a gift, for the process to go as smoothly as possible.

Not in London. Almost certainly not needed in Thailand. It’s very easy as long as it’s a legit marriage and you’ve got the money in your bank.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto, as posted by Elviajero.

 

I'd just add the age restriction of age 50 minimum is in reference to foreigners wishing to retire in Thailand and no such age restriction applies to those married to a Thai.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There are no medical requirements. London should issue the visa with just a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your wife’s ID. No financials are usually insisted upon even though listed in the website.

In the light of the recent changes to Non O applications at London - i.e. no more 12 month multi entries based on marriage and online application only, are we sure that London are still not requiring financials?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

In the light of the recent changes to Non O applications at London - i.e. no more 12 month multi entries based on marriage and online application only, are we sure that London are still not requiring financials?

Short answer is no. Financials have always been listed, and if you ever ask an embassy employee they will say that financials are needed; however, the embassy do not, as a rule, insist on financials. I don't see why that will change. There is no reason for them to insist on financials for a SE non 'O' as the reason for the visa is to visit a family member. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

In the light of the recent changes to Non O applications at London - i.e. no more 12 month multi entries based on marriage and online application only, are we sure that London are still not requiring financials?

Good question.

As I'm reading and understanding no financials are required for a Non O SE on the basis of marriage to a Thai. Although it states;

Quote

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

There is no mention of what level of finance is required.

Unlike the requirement for a Non O SE based on retirement, which states;

Quote

Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I wouldn't trust anything the Thai Embassy in London states on its website. For example, the new requirements on medical insurance are, as I understand it only applicable to O-A visas. However, on the newly revised London website there is no mention of medical insurance in the requirements for an O-A. There is however a requirement for medical insurance for an O-X.....................baffled!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elviajero said:

The only visa that currently requires medical insurance is the O-X.

 

The Thai authorities are proposing insurance for the O-A too, but as yet that hasn't been confirmed; which is why you don't see it on the website.

Right, thanks for pointing that out - I thought the decision had been made.  However, much of the content of the revised Thai Embassy's (London) website is poorly translated and makes little sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I get an extension based on marriage and a re-entry permit (if that's the right wording for it) can I come and go as many times as I like or is there a limit and a set number of days you have to be in Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

If I get an extension based on marriage and a re-entry permit (if that's the right wording for it) can I come and go as many times as I like or is there a limit and a set number of days you have to be in Thailand.

If apply for a  multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) you can leave and enter as many times as you want to. 

There is no requirement to be in the country any amount of time other than being here to apply for a new extension prior to your existing one ending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve80 said:

I am reading different things on different sites and they are not all stating the same thing. I am guessing some are out of date, such as on one site I read the 400,000 baht needs to be in an account for a period of three months, and another which stated a monthly income is required in addition to the 400,000 baht.

There are many sites set up by law firms and etc with false and misleading info.  Best to pay attention as to whether they are .com, .net and etc verses a real site with .go.th at the end of the url.

This is official list of the basic requirement to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If apply for a  multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) you can leave and enter as many times as you want to. 

There is no requirement to be in the country any amount of time other than being here to apply for a new extension prior to your existing one ending.

Thanks. I am going to look for work on a 3 week rotation, last time I did it I just did visa exempts but I think the marriage visa is the way forward. Come over for 3 months to sort it out then start looking. Do you get the re-entry permit at the same time as the extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...