41 percent of vegetables in Thai markets exceed contamination standards

Jonathan Fairfield

41 percent of vegetables in Thai markets exceed contamination standards

tp1.jpg

Pesticide watchdog Thai-PAN has today (Wednesday) published its most recent survey, which reveals that 41% of all vegetables in Thailand’s fresh markets are contaminated with chemical pesticides to a level that exceeds internationally acceptable standards. 12 types of banned chemicals were also discovered.

Ms. Prokchol Ousap, coordinator of Thailand Pesticide Alert Network (Thai-PAN), reported that the organization recently collected 286 samples of vegetables in collaboration with agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), provincial health officials, Tambon health workers, members of national farmer council, consumers’ association and civil society.

She said that the sample sources ranged from fresh markets and shop houses to produce shelves in department stores in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Yasothorn, Srakaew, Chanthaburi, Ratchaburi and Songkhla. The samples included 15 types of vegetables and nine types of fruit commonly consumed by the public. They were sent for analysis by ISO-17025 certified laboratories in the United Kingdom.

“The result is shocking as they found that 41% of the samples were contaminated with chemical pesticides,” said Ms. Prokchol.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/41-percent-of-vegetables-in-thai-markets-exceed-contamination-standards/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-27

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than banning those chemicals and enforcing the ban, there is nothing to be done about it. Farmers here will continue to do what they do. No sense of caution or empathy. Unless of course they can be shown there is more money to be made organically. Most farmers here learn about how and what to spray from their dad, uncle, neighbor. None of them have been through a course. They wrap a cloth around their face to spray but use bare hands on the nozzle. My father in law sprays for neighbors, does it for days on end. No precautions, done it for years. This year he has hardly been off the couch, for health issues.

59 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

reveals that 41% of all vegetables in Thailand’s fresh markets are contaminated with chemical pesticides to a level that exceeds internationally acceptable standards.

lower than i would have thought☹️

If this is the result with food for the home market how does Thailand manage exports without it getting refused? I live among mango and orange orchards and the spraying is bad enough that we can smell it from a long way off. These places operate tractor towed spray tanks with what must be hundreds of litres of chemicals. The little guys we see all day long on m'bikes with tanks on their backs heading off to small holdings. Its a way of life and I see no education or ideas coming through to stop it. Those 3 favourite chemicals that still haven't yet been banned make up 80% of all thats sold in the agricultural shops.

It's all boils down to the crop's yield, farmer's common sense dictates that, the more deadly pesticide they spray the less damage to the crop the more money they make and da hell with the end user's health,

now, if the government can control and educate theses guys, then a solution is in sight, if not, which is most likely to happen, then we're all doomed to continue eating poised veg and fruits...

Scary, especially if you rely on eating out or takeaways, I'm guessing many vendors might be less than thorough on the washing front, and a lot of the food here is stir fried which probably removes little or nothing in the way of contaminants. Like RobboR I tend to cook at home, so I'm hopeful that washing, and boiling veg in salted water, get's rid of most of the crap, as for fruit, most of it is peelable, just have to wash things I eat unpeeled and raw - apples, tomatoes, grapes, etc. - extra thoroughly, I suppose.

Then you have to consider the street food is full of it which takes the ante up quite a bit. Just because it is cooked into a final food does not mean it dissipated. For fruits it is more in the skin so not so bad, but vegetables is the hard one. Most food agri factory have in house labs to test for them before they get sent out.

21 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It's all boils down to the crop's yield, farmer's common sense dictates that, the more deadly pesticide they spray the less damage to the crop the more money they make and da hell with the end user's health,

now, if the government can control and educate theses guys, then a solution is in sight, if not, which is most likely to happen, then we're all doomed to continue eating poised veg and fruits...

The farmers, family, kids and those living in close proximity to the fields get daily exposure, especially dangerous when breathing it in.  The end user's can soak, clean and scrub, somewhat limiting their total exposure.

This government is not likely to step up and educate or control this.  Look at the wonderful job they are doing with any of the current problems.

We are not all doomed to continue eating poisoned veg.  Limit your use or exposure by cleaning and just not live here.  As if there isn't already enough reasons not to live here.  The smart ones are the short term tourists.  

One if the reasons we planted our own veggies and have a  large hydroponic greenhouse  for our family where  we grow several types of salads melons and tomato even chillies, it's nice to have two rai of land...... 

We have a large fishpond as well where we grow tilapia the natural way without hormones to grow them fast so it takes one year to a size of about 800 gram instead of 6 months and we added around 1000 juvenile fish last year and they  breed well so plenty of stock. ????

Washing does not help, especially with systemic pesticidesThe biggest problem is that there is not even a good lab in thailand. The Central Lab in Bangkok can not testing most pesticides on the basis of outdated technology, which is why the samples must also be sent to England.

9 minutes ago, DuiDui48 said:

I use to  Wash vegetables and fruits with hydrogen peroxide to remove dirt and pesticides. Add 1/4 cup of H2O2 to a sink of cold water. Afterwashing, rinse thoroughly with cool water.

And now?

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“The result is shocking as they found that 41% of the samples were contaminated with chemical pesticides,” said Ms. Prokchol.

They've known this for years but still do nothing to stop the poisoning of the public.

Next year we will hear the same again!

35 minutes ago, nausea said:

Scary, especially if you rely on eating out or takeaways, I'm guessing many vendors might be less than thorough on the washing front, and a lot of the food here is stir fried which probably removes little or nothing in the way of contaminants. Like RobboR I tend to cook at home, so I'm hopeful that washing, and boiling veg in salted water, get's rid of most of the crap, as for fruit, most of it is peelable, just have to wash things I eat unpeeled and raw - apples, tomatoes, grapes, etc. - extra thoroughly, I suppose.

And no doubt these vegetables that are contaminated are not properly cleansed of their chemicals either irrespective of whether it is a local poor household or an expensive Bangkok restaurant or hotel.  As many of the very large growers are ultimately owned and operated by families of the elite who can afford to dine out most nights in upmarket Bangkok eateries,    well the irony of it  ????

3 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I ozonate all my fruit and veggies, even those purchased in traditional stores. Don't bother postulating the negatives of ozonation. My choice.

Ive had an Ozone machine for years I do the same as you I also do the Bottled water

11 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Surprised they can get hold of 12 banned chemicals, I wonder what they are?

at the end of the linked article:-

Mr. Prokchol said that carbendazim, which has been banned in the U.S. for more than a decade, is the most commonly detected chemical. Also found in the samples were carbofuran and methomyl, which have been officially banned.

The other nine chemicals detected in the laboratory analysis, which are not in the List of Hazardous Substances B.E. 2556, are Boscalid, Ethirimol, Fenhexamid, Fluxapyroxad, Isopyrazam, Metrafenone, Proquinazid, Pyrimethanil and Quinoxyfen. Use of these chemical falls under the responsibility of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives (MOAC), while their contamination of foods falls under the authority of the FDA, Ministry of Public Health (MOPH), she said.

One if the reasons we planted our own veggies and have a  large hydroponic greenhouse  for our family ...

I'm thinking to grow veggies using hydroponics.  I teach Science and part of the student curriculum that I recently covered was all about hydroponics.  Since I mainly eat fruit and veggies, it got me thinking to grow my own hydroponically (is that a real word - I suppose so!).

This is a useful article about organic apple cider vinegar which has many health benefits including:

“Fruit and Veggie Wash

Vinegar is one of the best natural agents for removing certain pesticides and bacteria from your fresh produce. Try a solution of 10 percent vinegar to 90 percent water as a bath to briefly soak produce. Just place your veggies or fruit in the solution, swish them around, and rinse thoroughly (don't use this process on fragile fruits like berries since they could be damaged in the process or soak up too much vinegar through their porous skins).”

"Mother of vinegar, a cobweb-like amino acid-based substance found in unprocessed, unfiltered vinegar, indicates your vinegar is of the best quality. Most manufacturers pasteurize and filter their vinegar to prevent the mother from forming, but the "murky" kind is best, especially if you're planning to consume it.”

https://articles.mercola.com/apple-cider-vinegar-benefits-uses.aspx

CDCE1D48-5EB4-4892-8217-3E2DF97E9989.png

@attrayant

I wonder how member attrayant will respond to this. He called me out on pesticide use before I told him it was widespread and that it often exceeded the limits. He said the investigations were bias, but this time the thai FDA was involved. So I wonder if wants to review his comments.

Archived