41 percent of vegetables in Thai markets exceed contamination standards

Jonathan Fairfield

49 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

So how do you know ozone treatment works? Can u reference research results please?

I imported my first ozone generator into Thailand 25 years ago from a manufacturer in Canada. I used it for medicinal purposes (bodily insuflation etc) and also for overall health since I not only ozonate my fruit and veggies but all drinking water too. Used properly there is no danger whatsoever and it is efficacious for a variety of health purposes, not least washing fruit and veggies.

The scientific research literature on the safety of ozone is VAST and I'm not going to do your research for you. Some very positive research has been done in Germany and Japan for example where oxygen therapy (ozone) is used extensively.

Would just point out though that you can expect to find highly biased and negative reports emanating from certain Big Pharma funded studies in the USA where the Pharma industry has succeeded in demonising ozone. Are you American by any chance?

I have hundreds of studies on file, but out of curiosity I just Googled the topic and came up with these studies for starters:

Removal of residual pesticides on vegetable using ozonated water

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0956713506000065

"The present study validated that ozonation is a safe and promising process for the removal of the tested pesticides from aqueous solution and vegetable surface under domestic conditions."

Removal of residual pesticides in vegetables using ozone microbubbles

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304389410015207

Abstract

"The removal of fenitrothion (FT) pesticide residues from vegetables by immersion in ozone-microbubbled solution was demonstrated. FT-treated lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and strawberries were immersed in ozone-microbubbled, ozone-millibubbled, and dechlorinated water. After that the percentage of residual FT in the vegetables was determined. Residual FT was efficiently removed from lettuce by immersing it in ozone-microbubbled solution containing more than 1.0 ppm dissolved ozone, or continuously generated ozone-microbubbled solution containing 2.0 ppm dissolved ozone. Similarly, for cherry tomatoes and strawberries, the continuously generated ozone-microbubbled solution containing 2.0 ppm dissolved ozone was highly effective. These results showed that ozone microbubbles effectively removed residual pesticides not only from leafy vegetables but also from fruity vegetables."

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Everything you eat contains salt. It's not essential to add salt to anything, that's just done for taste. Iron is present in red meat.

If you want to call these items inorganic food so you can disprove my original statement, go ahead. I'll try not to lose any sleep over something so significant.

Yes I do agree and I will call salt and iron food as per the definition of the word food but not just to disprove you as it is also considered a supplement and I'm not sure about what nutritionist say about it so I'm not going there but you did seem to want to correct me so I did what I normally do and refer to the dictionary but only to defend my side of the argument not to disprove your argument.I'll also

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

try not to lose any sleep over something so significant.

11 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Well f*** me mate, I shop exclusively at Tops and only wash fruits and vegs in the most passing of ways.  F***! 

Actually, from an update on channel 3 news this morning, things are worse than in this article. 41% contamination at open markets, but over 60% contamination in food stores like Tops, Foodland, etc... Even those expensive "organic" section veggies tested positive for pesticides. I suppose the reason the stores have higher levels is that they are marketing a better looking product. The takeway from this is to make sure to wash veggies carefully (soak actually) in baking soda and vinegar, but there is a powdered product you can use which does the job too.  Nothing is safe. Also, the channel 3 newscast mentioned that the imported veggies and fruits of all types were found to be much lower in pesticides, and from experience, Makro has tons of these and is cheaper by far anyway.

13 hours ago, Lungstib said:

If this is the result with food for the home market how does Thailand manage exports without it getting refused? I live among mango and orange orchards and the spraying is bad enough that we can smell it from a long way off. These places operate tractor towed spray tanks with what must be hundreds of litres of chemicals. The little guys we see all day long on m'bikes with tanks on their backs heading off to small holdings. Its a way of life and I see no education or ideas coming through to stop it. Those 3 favourite chemicals that still haven't yet been banned make up 80% of all thats sold in the agricultural shops.

If you can smell the chemicals then you're overexposed already! Hope you don't have kids!

5 hours ago, Derek B said:

Are there no certified laboratories in Thailand?

If it is available to be purchased it's use is available to be abused by the ignorant or uncaring.

Exactly.

Pesticide analysis is an extremely exacting discipline requiring state of the art equipment and highly-skilled sample preparation. Australia, the USA and the UK AFAIK are the only countries with the capability.

2 hours ago, Antonymous said:

I imported my first ozone generator into Thailand 25 years ago from a manufacturer in Canada. I used it for medicinal purposes (bodily insuflation etc) and also for overall health since I not only ozonate my fruit and veggies but all drinking water too. Used properly there is no danger whatsoever and it is efficacious for a variety of health purposes, not least washing fruit and veggies.

The scientific research literature on the safety of ozone is VAST and I'm not going to do your research for you. Some very positive research has been done in Germany and Japan for example where oxygen therapy (ozone) is used extensively.

Would just point out though that you can expect to find highly biased and negative reports emanating from certain Big Pharma funded studies in the USA where the Pharma industry has succeeded in demonising ozone. Are you American by any chance?

I have hundreds of studies on file, but out of curiosity I just Googled the topic and came up with these studies for starters:

Removal of residual pesticides on vegetable using ozonated water

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0956713506000065

"The present study validated that ozonation is a safe and promising process for the removal of the tested pesticides from aqueous solution and vegetable surface under domestic conditions."

Removal of residual pesticides in vegetables using ozone microbubbles

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304389410015207

Abstract

"The removal of fenitrothion (FT) pesticide residues from vegetables by immersion in ozone-microbubbled solution was demonstrated. FT-treated lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and strawberries were immersed in ozone-microbubbled, ozone-millibubbled, and dechlorinated water. After that the percentage of residual FT in the vegetables was determined. Residual FT was efficiently removed from lettuce by immersing it in ozone-microbubbled solution containing more than 1.0 ppm dissolved ozone, or continuously generated ozone-microbubbled solution containing 2.0 ppm dissolved ozone. Similarly, for cherry tomatoes and strawberries, the continuously generated ozone-microbubbled solution containing 2.0 ppm dissolved ozone was highly effective. These results showed that ozone microbubbles effectively removed residual pesticides not only from leafy vegetables but also from fruity vegetables."

Thanks for that. I will look into it. Im English and my concern is not with its safety but its efficacy. There r so many quack Alernative beliefs around I dont just take claims like this for granted. If interested I will check it out. Sciencedirect looks genuine though and their website not full of ads for quack medicines and therapies which is reassuring.

There is NO need for any of these chemicals. The government should have already officially banned these chemicals and then lock up all the idiots insisting on continuing as there is no other way.

About once a year i see a news article that is "shocking". The only shocking thing is peoples memories i guess.

I read an article above about tractors with spray tanks and such. Not all are bad chemicals. We have a farm with mainly mangoes but a bit of everything and we spray sadao tree oil we make ourselves from the sadao tree, mix it with water and spray it during the butterfly season as they dont like the smell and even though this is perfectly harmless we still only do it on the sensitive plants/trees.

Alot of our neighbours have died carelessly from using the weed/grass killers and we are the idiots to ever question it and as our neighbours are chikdish low iq morons they purposely spray as close as they can to our property just to be idiots. Jokes on them. They will die soon and our fruit and veg will still get high prices and keep my family healthy!!

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Imported may be better, some, depending on where it's coming from. Remember, in Thailand, a lot of times "imported" means coming from China....

At any rate, there was a chart in the Thai-PAN report that compared the results for imported fruits vs. locally grown fruits on sale here, as shown below. The first column results are imported, the second locally grown, the third fruit overall. (I don't believe they broke out where the various imports were coming from).

1398972442_FruitsImportedvsThailandGrown.jpg.2954cabca86f580adc62a4d5edff3191.jpg

In our home, though, I try for myself to stick to frozen veggies, usually the Waitrose brand that Tops and Central sell, and the Birds-Eye brand imported from Australia that Villa often has.

Know what you mean as nowadays I mostly rely on frozen veg. from countries that I trust far more than those from Thailand/China etc. ☹️

4 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Alot of our neighbours have died carelessly from using the weed/grass killers and we are the idiots to ever question it and as our neighbours are chikdish low iq morons they purposely spray as close as they can to our property just to be idiots. Jokes on them. They will die soon and our fruit and veg will still get high prices and keep my family healthy!!

I hope you have your own closed circuit water supply. Otherwise tests might show a nasty surprise.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Know what you mean as nowadays I mostly rely on frozen veg. from countries that I trust far more than those from Thailand/China etc. ☹️

I should mention, just for clarity, all of the veggies tested by Thai-PAN here were FRESH ones from the markets, and none of them were frozen. So they didn't deal at all with Waitrose from the UK or BirdEye from Australia...

In terms of their import testing, I couldn't tell whether they tested any imported veggies at all this year. They did test imported fruits, because they have a chart comparing imported vs locally grown fruits in terms of pesticide residue levels, and the imports came out better. 

Among the markets they tested, except for Siam Paragon and to a lesser extent Tops, they don't seem to stock many imported veggies. But all of them AFAIK stock imported fruits of type that Thai-PAN says they tested, especially red apples and grapes. So those probably were part of their import fruit testing.

1046298222_2019-06-2712_32_16.jpg.ac9d2c4772f51dc0ee96e3b31cd408bd.jpg

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I expect it's not so harmful even in the excess quantities reported, as safety levels are on the very low side. But it's typical Thailand really!

Depends on your genetic makeup I suppose. If you're Keith Richards you can drink pesticides by gallon, a millenial snowflake however will die reading the label on a pack of veggies in the internet.

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Everything you eat contains salt. It's not essential to add salt to anything, that's just done for taste. Iron is present in red meat.

If you want to call these items inorganic food so you can disprove my original statement, go ahead. I'll try not to lose any sleep over something so significant.

If you do a fair bit of exercise in a hot country, sooner or later you will want extra salt.  Salt is harmful to some people, but much less so to the majority especially if you have high potassium intake (although the balance is not proportional).

On 6/27/2019 at 6:31 AM, RobboR said:

I never eat salad or any raw veg here. Only buy imported fruit.

Any veg I do buy I peel and cook, which apparently gets rid of most of the contamination.

you cannot wash or cook of pesticides that are INSIDE of the produce, that is a myth

Archived