Non Immigrant O VISA change to multi entry deposit

Hello everyone,

I need to change my Single entry Non immigrant O VISA based on marriage changed to multi entry at the Immigration office in Sakhon Nakon.

I thought I read somewhere instead of showing 400,000 baht in a bank account, I can show deposits made to a Thai bank account of 40,000 baht every month. Can anyone verify this? If so, would you know how many months in advance do I have to show 40,000 baht deposited into a Thai bank account before my single entry VISA expires.

Thanks in advance for your help on this

• Confused 1

You need to know that what you are looking for is an extension of stay based on marriage, and that is NOT a VISA.

Furthermore to be able to travel outside Thailand with this extension you need to purchase from immigration in beforehand a so called Re Entry Permit allowing you to leave without them cancelling your extension....

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

What nationality are you.?

It makes a difference.

EDIT.

You appear to be American.

You need to show 40,000 a month being transfered to your Thai bank from abroad.

As this is the first year they are supposed to be showing leniency and 3 or 4 months should be enough.

Go and ask them.

This is for a 12 month extension of stay.

Edited by fishtank

You would be applying for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You can apply for it during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from you non-o visa.

You need proof of a income of 40k baht or 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months.

To prove the 40k baht income you can use proof of income from your embassy or if you cannot get proof of income from your embassy proof of the 40k baht going into a Thai bank every month for 12 months. For the first extension of stay application you only need proof of it being transferred  for a couple of months or more.

After you get the extension of stay stamp in your passport you can apply for a single or multiple re-entry permit to keep you extension valid when you enter the country after a trip out.

• Like 1

Furthermore to be able to travel outside Thailand with this extension you need to purchase from immigration in beforehand a so called Re Entry Permit allowing you to leave without them cancelling your extension....

glegolo

You can get a re-entry permit at the airport

16 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Bearing in mind the relevant embassies stopped issuing income letters at the end of last year how many months of Income deposits are Immigration accepting? 12 would be unreasonable until Jan 2020 at the earliest.

In the OP's case only 2 months are needed since it is his first extension of stay.

For those already on extensions immigration offices have been told to be flexible and lenient this year.

In the OP's case only 2 months are needed since it is his first extension of stay.
For those already on extensions immigration offices have been told to be flexible and lenient this year.

No leniency from Jomtien for the first extension, 12 months needed, from the horses mouth

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No leniency from Jomtien for the first extension, 12 months needed, from the horses mouth

That is obviously impossible for someone just arrived. I await other reports.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, glegolo said:

You need to know that what you are looking for is an extension of stay based on marriage, and that is NOT a VISA.

glegolo

Thanks for the info. Sorry I meant extension of stay. I arrived with a single entry as the Thai consulate in Hawaii (where I originally traveled from) could only give me a single entry and was told I could change it to a multi entry at an immigration office in Thailand.

12 hours ago, fishtank said:

What nationality are you.?

It makes a difference.

EDIT.

You appear to be American.

You need to show 40,000 a month being transfered to your Thai bank from abroad.

As this is the first year they are supposed to be showing leniency and 3 or 4 months should be enough.

Go and ask them.

This is for a 12 month extension of stay.

Thanks for your response. You're right, I'm an American. I currently reside here in Thailand since 2009 but every year during the school break, I go back home and at the same time been applying and getting a multi entry Non Immigrant O visa but the Thai consulate in my hometown can only issue single entry non immigrant o. Ill drop by the immigration office and inquire to be sure though like you suggested.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would be applying for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You can apply for it during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from you non-o visa.

You need proof of a income of 40k baht or 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months.

To prove the 40k baht income you can use proof of income from your embassy or if you cannot get proof of income from your embassy proof of the 40k baht going into a Thai bank every month for 12 months. For the first extension of stay application you only need proof of it being transferred  for a couple of months or more.

After you get the extension of stay stamp in your passport you can apply for a single or multiple re-entry permit to keep you extension valid when you enter the country after a trip out.

Thanks again Ubonjoe for your input. You've helped me a lot in the past with other issues I had along with this. For the last couple of years, I've been having money (about 60,000 baht)deposited into my account back home but never transferred it into a Thai bank account and just used my card to use money here in Thailand. I came back to Thailand this year this past May 5th and my 90 day entry will be up this coming August 2nd, would you think it'll be too late to apply for an extension even if I deposited 40,000 baht in a Thai bank account starting from July? Sorry if what I'm asking you is not clear.

Sorry also that I'm really clueless about the procedure I must do for changing my single entry to a multi entry at an immigration office here. 

Edited by joninisaan

11 hours ago, joninisaan said:

I came back to Thailand this year this past May 5th and my 90 day entry will be up this coming August 2nd, would you think it'll be too late to apply for an extension even if I deposited 40,000 baht in a Thai bank account starting from July? Sorry if what I'm asking you is not clear.

The rules state only one transfer is needed but the more you can do before applying the better.

Best to check with your local immigration office about it since some may want more.

You could also could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife if they wanted a couple more transfers and then apply for the one year extension.

The OP sounds just like me 5 years ago when I first started asking you similar questions. I’m glad the income verification procedures didn’t change until after I was living here for a while and I knew more about the immigration rules. If I were new to living in Thailand today and if I didn’t know the rules today I think I would probably find the immigration system very confusing if I were new to Thailand today.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The rules state only one transfer is needed but the more you can do before applying the better.

Best to check with your local immigration office about it since some may want more.

You could also could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife if they wanted a couple more transfers and then apply for the one year extension.

OK, Ill go check with the immigration office first thing next week. Thanks again ubonjoe for your help on this and all other past questions I had which you helped answer for me.

11 hours ago, Mel52 said:

The OP sounds just like me 5 years ago when I first started asking you similar questions. I’m glad the income verification procedures didn’t change until after I was living here for a while and I knew more about the immigration rules. If I were new to living in Thailand today and if I didn’t know the rules today I think I would probably find the immigration system very confusing if I were new to Thailand today.

Up until 2017, I've been getting a multi entry Non immigrant O visa from the Thai Consulate in Honolulu (where I'm from) with no problem but for 2018 last year, the Thai Consulate in Honolulu stopped issuing Multi Entry Non immigrant O visas and only single entry. So, last year I sent my passport to the Thai consulate in Los Angeles for a multi entry which I got no problem. But this year, they denied my application so I resorted in getting a single entry from the Thai Consulate in Honolulu. So this is why, I'm really clueless now in the process of getting my single entry changed to a multi entry.

46 minutes ago, joninisaan said:

I'm really clueless now in the process of getting my single entry changed to a multi entry.

That is because it cannot be done without going out for a new multiple entry non-o visa.

As I explained you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage and then get a multiple re-entry permit.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is because it cannot be done without going out for a new multiple entry non-o visa.

As I explained you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage and then get a multiple re-entry permit.

Please can you clarify something for me Joe, if you are granted the one year extension of stay based upon marriage, the original visa is of course no longer valid at the end of that year but can you continue to apply for another one year extension of stay based upon marriage in the following year and so on?

9 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Please can you clarify something for me Joe, if you are granted the one year extension of stay based upon marriage, the original visa is of course no longer valid at the end of that year but can you continue to apply for another one year extension of stay based upon marriage in the following year and so on?

Not sure what visa you are writing about. If it was single entry visa it would be invalid on the date it was used if a multiple entry visa it would expire as some time after the extension was done but it could not be used for an entry since that would make the extension invalid.

You can apply for new extension of stay year after year without ever leaving the country unless you wanted to and then you would need a re-entry permit.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what visa you are writing about. If it was single entry visa it would be invalid on the date it was used if a multiple entry visa it would expire as some time after the extension was done but it could not be used for an entry since that would make the extension invalid.

You can apply for new extension of stay year after year without ever leaving the country unless you wanted to and then you would need a re-entry permit.

Sorry for the confusion, but your second paragraph answered my question, thanks.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:10 AM, ubonjoe said:

OK so my understanding is, since I entered Thailand on a single entry non o visa May 5 and got stamped by the passport control officer "admitted until 2 August, I can go straight to Savannakhet sometime before August 2 to apply for a non o multiple entry visa without applying for a one year extension of stay first here in Thailand? My plan is to stay in Thailand till April of next year which then I will fly back home to Hawaii for a couple of weeks and there, I will apply for a new non o single entry visa.

2 hours ago, joninisaan said:

OK so my understanding is, since I entered Thailand on a single entry non o visa May 5 and got stamped by the passport control officer "admitted until 2 August, I can go straight to Savannakhet sometime before August 2 to apply for a non o multiple entry visa without applying for a one year extension of stay first here in Thailand? 

You can do it that way or apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then go out for the multiple entry non-o visa near the end of the 60 days.

2 hours ago, joninisaan said:

My plan is to stay in Thailand till April of next year which then I will fly back home to Hawaii for a couple of weeks and there, I will apply for a new non o single entry visa.

No need to get a single entry non-o since your multiple entry non-o visa will still be valid. It is valid for one year from the date of issue.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do it that way or apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then go out for the multiple entry non-o visa near the end of the 60 days.

No need to get a single entry non-o since your multiple entry non-o visa will still be valid. It is valid for one year from the date of issue.

Thanks again for your help and response Ubonjoe. If I get a 60 day extension first, how far in advance can I go to the Immigration office to apply for a 60 day extension before my 60 days is up on August 2 and do I need to show funds deposited into a Thai bank account or 400,000 baht in my bank account?

Also, do I need to report myself to the Immigration office before I go to Savannakhet for my multi entry non o?

Edited by joninisaan