New law in Thailand risks drawing an avalanche of plastic waste

rooster59

New law in Thailand risks drawing an avalanche of plastic waste

MARWAAN MACAN-MARKAR, Asia regional correspondent

https___s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com_psh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4_images_6_3_8_9_21399836-3-eng-GB_Cropped-15614306040735397.jpg

A recycling plant near Bangkok: According to Greenpeace, Thailand's plastic waste imports jumped nearly sevenfold between 2016 and 2018 to 481,000 tons.   © Reuters

BANGKOK -- Thai environmentalists are pressing Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to slow the enactment of a law they say could create a loophole in monitoring pollution and result in Thailand importing more plastic waste from abroad.

The law amends the 1992 Factory Act and is set to take effect in October. The amendment was approved in late February by the National Legislative Assembly, the then military-government's rubber-stamp parliament, to create a business-friendly environment, according to the government. It was one of many laws the outgoing military junta rushed through parliament before a contentious general election in late March.

Under the amended rules, only industrial companies with more than 50 employees and machinery exceeding 50 horsepower are subject to monitoring for waste discharge and antipollution measures. Previously the law applied to any industrial site with seven or more workers and machinery of at least five horsepower.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Environment/New-law-in-Thailand-risks-drawing-an-avalanche-of-plastic-waste

NIKKEI Asian Review: 2019-06-27

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Contaminated fruits and vegetables, poison air and water, trash everywhere, filthy beaches, corrupt cops and maniac drivers. 

Must be some reason I live in this shit hole.

The temples?

The import of waste for recycling shouldn't be a problem per se. It's that it'll just be dumped into the environment without any recycling whatsoever. Corruption, don't you just love it, makes the exotic Thailand so free compared to the nanny states of the West.

Strange, the Thais are always accusing tourists and farang of dirtying their country, and then they import mountains of garbage from other countries!
Why? If you are unable to keep your garbage at bay!

Just read in the paper today about how Malaysia imported about 700,000 tons of plastic from many countries who use it as a dumping ground. When the illegal factories have picked out what they can recycle, they burn whats left !!!  

Malaysia orders plastic waste to be returned to origin country - Nikkei Asian Review

Thailand should follow its neighbour's environmentally-friendly example 

and repel pollution "pirates" seeking to dump their plastic waste on someone else's doorstep.

We've already got more than enough of our own to contend with.  

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Contaminated fruits and vegetables, poison air and water, trash everywhere, filthy beaches, corrupt cops and maniac drivers. 

I'm sorry but I must strongly disagree with your post. The list is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too short.

Loopholes are left so that the elites can make oodles of cash. There is no chance that this champion of the elites, Mr Prayut will close any loopholes. What is the point of laws that don't have any loopholes. Let them eat cake.

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Corrupt immigration, deadliest roads, women that fleece ya, etc...yea me2 love this place.  No better place on earth or beyond...

Archived