BANGKOK
rooster59

No 'boots on the ground' in Iran dispute, Trump says; cites 'unlimited time' for new deal

12 minutes ago, Ulic said:

What I don't understand is if the drone was shot down in international airspace how did Iran recover parts of it. What was the track of the drone. Was it in Iranian airspace but shot down as in was leaving. The  USS Vincennes was in Iranian territorial waters when it shot down the Iranian passenger jet. I would not just take Trump's word on anything. The US military has been known to lie even to Congress while under oath. 

It's a long way down and given wind and other factors where it landed is not determinative.

35 minutes ago, Ulic said:

What I don't understand is if the drone was shot down in international airspace how did Iran recover parts of it. What was the track of the drone. Was it in Iranian airspace but shot down as in was leaving. The  USS Vincennes was in Iranian territorial waters when it shot down the Iranian passenger jet. I would not just take Trump's word on anything. The US military has been known to lie even to Congress while under oath. 

The Americans certainly know where the drone was and this is evidenced by their lack of providing detailed proof other than and small spot placed on a map. Trump met with Gina Haspel and soon after there was a change in the US regimes aggressive stance, it all seems suspicious.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think Iran is going to play along with Donald’s plan to strangle their economy they are calling his bluff

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ulic said:

What's to understand? Where the drone was intercepted and where the debris ended up aren't the same place. That's without taking into account currents.

The parts displayed by the Iranians seem to be the body (or "shell") of the drone, which is made of relatively light materials. Some of these would probably even float. If this was planned ahead, then they'd have an extraction team on the ready, and anyway nearer.

The evidence provided by the Iranians is no clearer, as far as I'm aware.

22 minutes ago, userabcd said:

The Americans certainly know where the drone was and this is evidenced by their lack of providing detailed proof other than and small spot placed on a map. Trump met with Gina Haspel and soon after there was a change in the US regimes aggressive stance, it all seems suspicious.

This suggests Haspel is among the hawks:

https://www.businessinsider.com/top-aides-reportedly-urge-trump-into-war-with-iran-2019-6