Thai government announces hotel license amnesty

rooster59

Once the local authority has been notified, owners will be given the opportunity to take the necessary measures to improve the current conditions of the buildings to meet the requirements set by the NCPO order. This includes measures such as improving the building’s fire safety system.

Incredible!!! Does that mean that too many soldiers are running unlicensed hotels?

Why's the NCPO still existing after " the democratic election"???

Article 44 is still being used to keep people quiet. 

I'd guess that this amnesty is not for foreigners, innit?

Most if not all have fire extinguisher , problem is not that but hotel license which requires things like stairs of certain size, parking , green zones and  at the end building permit initially showing building was built as a hotel .

i am kind of split on this one.

they may get all hotels to register , collect taxes and let it go as most will not be able to comply .

or after receiving full

database, it may make it easier for them to crack down .

15 hours ago, justin case said:

typical thailand... amnesty for illegal hotels

but farangs that did not do TM30 even it is the owner's responsability, and there are no HOUSE OWNERS in thailand that are farang, have to pay the fine for sure

I believe there are many house owners in Thailand that are foreigners, foreign landowners are in somewhat short supply.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:59 AM, ezzra said:

Illegal hotels are illegal because they don't want or can not comply with standard safety measures and building violation codes, by declaring amnesty it's to say Yes, you can continue as you are and if and when a disaster will happen, will cross that bridge when we get to it, but for now, continue to operate in clear violations of safety regulations...  

On 6/27/2019 at 11:05 AM, darksidedog said:

There goes all attention to safety across the country's hotels for the next two years then. Even those who tend to safety currently will let standards slip. I wonder how many lives this decision will end up costing? Money and convenience always seem to be more important than injury and death here.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, PatOngo said:

I can't wait for the TAT announcement informing the millions of tourists that their chances of staying in a substandard/illegal hotel are very real. This is a national scandal! Is there no shame whatsoever?

On 6/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, Phuketshrew said:

So if they can continue to be illegal then there will be no liability insurance. Just who will show any responsibility when the next disaster occurs, which is now much more likely?

Foreign governments need to issue a travel advisory.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, PatOngo said:

I would love to hear comments from Trivago, Booking.com, Expedia, TripAdvisor etc. as they will be selling these rooms to tourists!

On 6/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, fforest1 said:

The fire extinguishers are a strawman....Every one would agree that hotels need to have fire extinguishers that is just common sense..So pretty much 100% of all people support forcing hotels to be registered with the authorities and have fire extinguishers.....

Hell look at all the posts here people are angry that they are being given 2 years to comply.....And yes it is a joke when fire extinguishers could be installed in a few days....

did you guys read the op at all?? 

"This includes measures such as improving the building’s fire safety system.

The notification and the building improvement of fire safety systems must be completed within 90 days from the date of the NCPO order"

fire safety is one of the measures needs to be fixed with in 90 days (not 2 years), and fire safety is not simply extinguishers. And all those hotel booking sites ARE selling all those hotels now as well, so isn't it better that now measures are taken to make them safer?

if there is no insurance to these hotels due to not being legal, that means they operate without insurance already. But the idea is to get them safe first (within 90 days) and then work the other issues concerning the license according to city planning regulation - mostly bureaucracy

Archived