A few divorce queries

rott

I hope someone can advise (farang /thai wife.)

Can the divorce only be done in the amphur where you married?

Do the two have to attend together or can they go separately?

Can an attorney attend in place of the farang or must he attend in person?

I suspect the answers are 1) yes 2) separately 3) in person, but would like confirmation. "Law" offices seem to only do translations.

1. In any Amphur if the staff are willing.

2. Husband and wife need to be physically present at the same time. You can't get married one at a time and divorce is no different.

3. You need to attend in person. You can't send someone else to sign for your marriage when your are not present, and divorce is no different.

If this cannot be achieved then you will need to go to Court, where only one party needs to be present. This can happen when one person will not attend an Amphur for whatever reason.

Blackcab has answered, but you don't need a lawyer for an amphur divorce. The whole point is that everything is settled before you turn up. If it's not settled you can't get a divorce in an amphur- you will have to go to family court where you will need a lawyer.

All you do in an amphur is sign the document.

If you don't read Thai, get a copy of the documents and get it translated before the divorce so you know what you are signing.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you don't read Thai, get a copy of the documents and get it translated before the divorce so you know what you are signing.

No need, your translator will tell you what it says.

If you don't speak Thai you need your witness to be able to translate.

Sometimes the head of the Amphur can speak English, but not often.

And they won't let you divorce if they aren't sure you understand what is being said.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No need, your translator will tell you what it says.

If you don't speak Thai you need your witness to be able to translate.

Sometimes the head of the Amphur can speak English, but not often.

And they won't let you divorce if they aren't sure you understand what is being said.

Sorry, but not what happened to me.

I didn't have a translator, or witness- the amphur staff witnessed. 

They certainly let me divorce and I certainly didn't understand what was being said. I just signed. They never said anything to me one way or another.

When I advise the OP to get translated documents, I'm giving advice I learned the hard way.

I was lucky and there were no traps in the documents, but it could have been bad for me.

In LOS, what happens in one amphur is not indicative of what will happen in another.

Archived