Gambling: Prayut set to go after the cuddly toy "mafia"

rooster59

25 minutes ago, pookondee said:

The worst part about it, is that its the least educated and least who can afford it get addicted to it.

Based on that fact, probably for the best they continue to "control" gambling, as the poor & educated also have zero hope of having a decent life under the present regime!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have thought the Thai Government had more pressing issues, but I guess officials are not getting their cut, so Prayut is going to press them hard now. 

9 hours ago, Basil B said:

????????????

Let stop Thais getting hooked on gambling at an early age in a country that gambling is a big problem.

Gambling is a problem because a lot of people are vulnerable to addiction to it. The old addictions, alcohol, drugs and tobacco, tend to be introduced in the teenage years. But there is a hidden menace introducing gambling to young children. Computer games, a potential addiction in itself, contain surreptitious introductions to gambling. Societies and Governments across the world have yet to wake up to this.

10 hours ago, kkerry said:

I was in a large shopping centre the other day and on the top floor was a section near the escalators with about twenty of these machines and just one middle aged woman playing. I went inside a large shop for about ten minutes and when I came out she was still there. I wandered around for twenty minutes and afterwards went to the escalators to go back down and she was still feeding money into the same machine exactly like a slot machine addict. If I didn't win something after three goes I'd give up and walk away but some people just have to keep going, so even at ten baht a play I can see some people managing to lose a fair bit of money.

Cheaper just to buy the toys.

???? ???????????????? 

She wasn't gambling. She was money laundering.

Why stop here?

Next the machine that drops the chocolate bars out,

Saves all that dental care too.

Then move back to the darts.

Suppose the government run lottery is not considered gambling? 

Or the fact that sellers still charge 100 baht even though the tickets say 80.

Maybe because the government  make millions from it..

It’s not so much a gamble, rather an outright con. My son “won” a bear or something once, but I’m sure that we were lucky as the machine’s computer decided it was time to hold on and deliver. 

What I find hysterical on these playports is staff armed with a bag of toys opening the machines occasionally to “replenish” the stock!!!

Do they still have arcades in Thailand where you can shoot a real gun?  I remember one visit where we could shoot a .22 short or gallery load from a rifle. That was probably 20 years back or so.

Years later, my wife's youngest sister came to the USA.  Took her out in the boonies and let her shoot my Smith & Wesson 6" model 686 .357 magnum revolver.  I think she went through a box of 50 full-power 140 grain Winchester Silver Tip hollow-point ammo.  Pretty stout stuff. She loved it. 

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Parents have complained that their kids are constantly pestering them for money to feed their gambling habit.

Not a gambling habit, just kids wanting a cheap toy to play with... 
Thailand had lost the plot entirely!

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Stock Market is gambling is it not?

I don't disagree, but those who are in charge set the rules to suit themselves.

Stock market will probably be defended as making an informed decision about financial opportunities.

Lottery is a 'game of chance' - as described by a previous government when criticised it was gambling.

15 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I was unaware they had electric,  in Wales in the 60's :giggle:

Yes indeed Boyo! but the pubs were closed on Sundays (although at 5 it did not really concern me)

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

The only 'gambling' i see is whether the claws will hang on to the toy or not... other than that, these machines are just a big con and they have been around for many years and only in this country they're classified as gambling...Oh well...

These crane claws are carefully balanced to prevent you winning so they cannot realistically be called gambling as the odds are 90% in the favour of the machine owners 

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

Well picked up.!!

New Quay. Wales

Newquay Cornwall. 

????

Def the Welsh one family had house there!

New Quay (Welsh: Cei Newydd) is a seaside town (and electoral ward) in Ceredigion, Wales with a resident population of around 1,200 people, 

Welsh Assembly‎: ‎Ceredigion
UK Parliament‎: ‎Ceredigion
Ceremonial county‎: ‎Dyfed
Principal area‎: ‎Ceredigion

Archived