Video: SOM NAM NA! Thais show no sympathy for pick-up driver

rooster59

Video: SOM NAM NA! Thais show no sympathy for pick-up driver

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU2My83ODE2NDM0L25ld3Byb2plY3QtMjAxOS0wNi0yNnQyMjUyLmpwZw==.jpg

Caption: You were the victim of your own actions

Thais who posted comments on a dash cam video on Facebook had but one comment.

Som Nam Na - this means serves you right in Thai. 

The video showed traffic moving along the Wang Tapin to Pluak Daeng road in Rayong yesterday morning.

A pick-up tries to undertake using the edge of the road but loses control on the gravelly and dusty surface. 

The driver spins and ends up in the roadside undergrowth. Another pick-up narrowly avoids a collision by severe braking.

The footage on the "Choke Racing" page came with the understated comment from the poster: "If you'd been a bit more patient this would not have happened". 

Other comments were far more critical with "Som Nam Na" ringing out everywhere. 

Sanook did not report on the fate of the driver of the crashed vehicle.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-27

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

20 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

Not defending his undertaking in the least, but it would be nice to see people stick to the left lane, i.e. unless they are overtaking. It is clear from the double yellow markings on the right lane (middle of the road) that he could not overtake on the right side.

I am sure this accident wouldn't have happened if people obeyed the road rules and stayed to the left unless overtaking, e.g. two wrongs don't make a right, just a thought ???? 

all you lot blind there was a dual carriageway. traffic hogging the right lane like all thais do, they will not drive on the left just in case they come up behind a slow moving vehicle, suddenly this dual carriage way turned into a single track gravel, with no warning whatso ever

Just the daily ordinary chaos created by dumb zeros that hardly even can show their children how to play with toy cars in the sandbox.

Yep, definately a som nam na-case that should be used education material. Sorry, forgot! There is no education for beeing a stupid driver in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not defending his undertaking in the least, but it would be nice to see people stick to the left lane, i.e. unless they are overtaking. It is clear from the double yellow markings on the right lane (middle of the road) that he could not overtake on the right side.

I am sure this accident wouldn't have happened if people obeyed the road rules and stayed to the left unless overtaking, e.g. two wrongs don't make a right, just a thought ???? 

Judging by the condition of the inside lane at the point of the accident nobody is using it, same applies in the opposite direction, this could be due to the way that the dirt collects after rain etc.

He / she should have driven to the conditions, it was very easy to see that the left lane was covered in crap after they had overtaken the motorbike.

39 minutes ago, Alan Michael said:

Why didn't the filming car and the car in front stop?

Was it safe to do so?

To be honest when people stop very few can provide any useful assistance and just get in the way by taking pictures on there mobile phones.

34 minutes ago, Mattd said:

He / she should have driven to the conditions, it was very easy to see that the left lane was covered in crap after they had overtaken the motorbike.

For some reason, he/she (my money is on he) had to get home or wherever he was going, as quick as possible.

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

For some reason, he/she (my money is on he) had to get home or wherever he was going, as quick as possible.

I reckon your money would be safe on both counts.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

1) double yellow lines don't stop Thai from overtaking on the right

2) why would you drive on the left where the road works are . completely driving safe in the right lane unless of course you want to see more accidents like this one .

Needless to say, the driver in the black pickup improperly passed on the left and accelerated too fast, causing his wheels to spin and ultimately lose control of his vehicle. But the driver in the white pickup contributed to the conditions leading up to this accident as well. Even though the left hand lane had dirt and gravel on the road surface it was still driveable and the slower moving white pickup should have moved over, even if it meant slowing down a lot if he was concerned about chipping the paint on his pickup.

I'd really like to look some of the Thai Facebook posters in the eye and ask them how often they drive like that. I suspect, if they were honest, they'd say it's an everyday occurrence. For me, the defensive driving takeaway from the clip is that the guy behind you is often the most dangerous guy on the road and you need to keep an eye on him at all times.

Totally disagree. 
Everywhere I go I'm stuck behind some incoherent idiot driving 30Km/h on an open road with no awareness of any other living being on the planet.  If you want to drive slow AF go ahead and do so, but get the heck out of the damn way!   It's called common courtesy,  or also called integrity.  I pass people aggressively every few km as it's the only way to get where I'm going..
While I'm on the rant,  When the light turns green it means GO.  Why do people take so long to get up to speed?  And...  you don't need 4 frickin lanes to make a U-turn.  
Okay, rant over.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

all you lot blind there was a dual carriageway. traffic hogging the right lane like all thais do, they will not drive on the left just in case they come up behind a slow moving vehicle, suddenly this dual carriage way turned into a single track gravel, with no warning whatso ever

If you look at the lines painted on the roadway it appears that the left lane was actually still there but that the brush and trees were choking it from the side and it was also full of dirt and sand. While the driver didn't exercise enough caution, I don't believe that he was passing on a dirt shoulder. (or at least what was ever meant to be a dirt shoulder)

20 minutes ago, action said:

While I'm on the rant,  When the light turns green it means GO.  Why do people take so long to get up to speed? 

People in Thailand hesitate at intersections because first and fastest away is the one who gets t-boned by someone running the red light from the other direction...  numerous Thai videos on YouTube (and ThaiVisa).

24 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Did you notice that the truck that crashed indicated both times he changed lanes ??  Give him a tiny bit of credit !!

Indeed, a rare thing to see. It's so rare that I always comment on it when I see it. Most of the times I have to read the car's "body language" to guess the driver's intention. 

Archived