BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Video: SOM NAM NA! Thais show no sympathy for pick-up driver

Video: SOM NAM NA! Thais show no sympathy for pick-up driver

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU2My83ODE2NDM0L25ld3Byb2plY3QtMjAxOS0wNi0yNnQyMjUyLmpwZw==.jpg

Caption: You were the victim of your own actions

Thais who posted comments on a dash cam video on Facebook had but one comment.

Som Nam Na - this means serves you right in Thai. 

The video showed traffic moving along the Wang Tapin to Pluak Daeng road in Rayong yesterday morning.

A pick-up tries to undertake using the edge of the road but loses control on the gravelly and dusty surface. 

The driver spins and ends up in the roadside undergrowth. Another pick-up narrowly avoids a collision by severe braking.

The footage on the "Choke Racing" page came with the understated comment from the poster: "If you'd been a bit more patient this would not have happened". 

Other comments were far more critical with "Som Nam Na" ringing out everywhere. 

Sanook did not report on the fate of the driver of the crashed vehicle.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-27

I agree completely. Som Nam Nah!

We have all seen similar driving frequently. 

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

We could make a song about it:

Song nam na my Lord Som nam na ....

(repeat 3 times)

Oh Lord Som nam na ....

20 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

Not defending his undertaking in the least, but it would be nice to see people stick to the left lane, i.e. unless they are overtaking. It is clear from the double yellow markings on the right lane (middle of the road) that he could not overtake on the right side.

I am sure this accident wouldn't have happened if people obeyed the road rules and stayed to the left unless overtaking, e.g. two wrongs don't make a right, just a thought 🙂 

all you lot blind there was a dual carriageway. traffic hogging the right lane like all thais do, they will not drive on the left just in case they come up behind a slow moving vehicle, suddenly this dual carriage way turned into a single track gravel, with no warning whatso ever

2 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

they will not drive on the left just in case

Or because it is gravelly and dusty

Just the daily ordinary chaos created by dumb zeros that hardly even can show their children how to play with toy cars in the sandbox.

Yep, definately a som nam na-case that should be used education material. Sorry, forgot! There is no education for beeing a stupid driver in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not defending his undertaking in the least, but it would be nice to see people stick to the left lane, i.e. unless they are overtaking. It is clear from the double yellow markings on the right lane (middle of the road) that he could not overtake on the right side.

I am sure this accident wouldn't have happened if people obeyed the road rules and stayed to the left unless overtaking, e.g. two wrongs don't make a right, just a thought 🙂 

Judging by the condition of the inside lane at the point of the accident nobody is using it, same applies in the opposite direction, this could be due to the way that the dirt collects after rain etc.

He / she should have driven to the conditions, it was very easy to see that the left lane was covered in crap after they had overtaken the motorbike.

23 minutes ago, Alan Michael said:

Why didn't the filming car and the car in front stop?

Would you stop far an idiot like that?

7 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Would you stop far an idiot like that?

Yep, I would stop for anyone to see how they are and give help if necessary.

Does this make me a bad person?

36 minutes ago, Alan Michael said:

Because... THIS IS SPARTA

39 minutes ago, Alan Michael said:

Was it safe to do so?

To be honest when people stop very few can provide any useful assistance and just get in the way by taking pictures on there mobile phones.