Video: SOM NAM NA! Thais show no sympathy for pick-up driver

rooster59

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sanook did not report on the fate of the driver of the crashed vehicle.

My wife recognized the driver by his license plate.  He is a professional driving instructor.  My wife's ability to steer a pickup is a testament to his professionalism.

3 hours ago, kkerry said:

People in Thailand hesitate at intersections because first and fastest away is the one who gets t-boned by someone running the red light from the other direction...  numerous Thai videos on YouTube (and ThaiVisa).

That's not the problem.  It's after starting off on green & safely passing the intersection, so many drivers are incredibly slow at accelerating when safe to do so!

Were the vehicle which took the video and the other vehicle in front of him, who were breaking the law by not driving in the left lane, fined?

The driver should have slowed down on the gravel road, but if the two other slow vehicles would not have clogged the right lane this accident would not have happened

The driver in the black pickup did everything right except anticipate the slippery gravel on the left lane. 

That was caused by bad road design for not having correct camber (slope), poor drainage allowing dirt to build up and poor maintenance allowing branches to encroach on the left lane. 

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

I have to disagree. I have found the majority of Thai drivers to be courteous and careful. I especially appreciate their patience and lack of horn honking. The problem is the very large minority who drive like complete maniacs. It would be so easy to remedy the wild west drivers by having an active police force patrolling the roads. 

6 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

My wife recognized the driver by his license plate.  He is a professional driving instructor.  My wife's ability to steer a pickup is a testament to his professionalism.

So the guy who couldn't steer his vehicle on a slippery surface taught your wife how to steer? I think he steered too much.

I've never driven in Thailand.

It looks like he was in a legitimate driving lane and the road condition in his lane caused the issue.

Which lane is the passing lane? (Was he trying to pass in the correct lane)?

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I've never driven in Thailand.

It looks like he was in a legitimate driving lane and the road condition in his lane caused the issue.

Which lane is the passing lane? (Was he trying to pass in the correct lane)?

The road looks like a road on the outskirts of town, as such it will likely have an 80kmh speed limit, although we can never be sure, it looks like the first pickup was close to this speed.

The first pickup was also in the right hand lane, which its not supposed to be unless it is passing another vehicle. It had just passed a motorcycle and remained in the right most lane as the road quality / conditions in the left lane were poor - no one can blame the first pickup driver for maintaining his position in the right lane. 

The pickup which crashed attempted to undertake, an illegal move, in doing so was likely exceeding the speed limit, fortunately his impatience did not impact anyone else. 

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not defending his undertaking in the least, but it would be nice to see people stick to the left lane, i.e. unless they are overtaking. It is clear from the double yellow markings on the right lane (middle of the road) that he could not overtake on the right side.

I am sure this accident wouldn't have happened if people obeyed the road rules and stayed to the left unless overtaking, e.g. two wrongs don't make a right, just a thought ???? 

Frequently see idiots  driving in the outside  lane at 60kph  with a whole queue behind them, oblivious. I agree they ALL need a  massive lesson in keeping left but that would mean "not me first" and that's totally anti Thai. Sometimes you can even flash your lights  behind them to  move over and they KNOW your'e  there but  carry  on or do the "I'm  turning right"  indicator  BS and NEVER  do they're  just selfish (insert expletive to avoid  suspension rules)

Pickups need speed limiters fitted.  After minibus drivers, pickup drivers display the most disregard for human safety.  One roared past me yesterday, on the inside, cut across two lanes, belching black smoke at over 100 clicks ph.  The engines are too powerful for their use.

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

they're  just selfish (insert expletive to avoid  suspension rules)

That and they don't go for a driving test with an instructor before getting their license to see if they are fit to drive, but then again, that would be a waste of time because money buys people here, so we just have to out maneuver them with our western world experience when it comes to driving and hope for the best.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am sure this accident wouldn't have happened if people obeyed the road rules and stayed to the left unless overtaking, e.g. two wrongs don't make a right, just a thought

Or if the left hand lane was cleared of sand/gravel/debris which made the lane usable?

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not defending his undertaking in the least, but it would be nice to see people stick to the left lane, i.e. unless they are overtaking. It is clear from the double yellow markings on the right lane (middle of the road) that he could not overtake on the right side.

I am sure this accident wouldn't have happened if people obeyed the road rules and stayed to the left unless overtaking, e.g. two wrongs don't make a right, just a thought ???? 

very true....BUT IS IS ILLEGAL to undertake in this country.....but who enforces the laws here....NO ONE....!!! who obets the law of NO undertaking NO ONE ....I do because I KNOW the law....

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

What's to learn? They know it's bad and on the internet they can anonymously comment as such. Say as much face to face and in public? Not a bloody chance. Embrace the culture where the keyboard is the internet equivalent of the dark tint on your car windows.

PS. They don't need telling by uppity farangs either. Anonymously or otherwise.

58 minutes ago, essox essox said:

very true....BUT IS IS ILLEGAL to undertake in this country.....but who enforces the laws here....NO ONE....!!! who obets the law of NO undertaking NO ONE ....I do because I KNOW the law....

Actually is not illegal in Thailand to undertake under certain condition.

The law states that as long as the road has two or more lanes going in the same direction it is allowable to pass on the left (undertake).

Section 45 (400-1000B)
[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

And as usual, the overtaking brigade is out in full force, peddling their nonsens about staying in the left lane unless you're overtaking. You're not allowed to push your car to the limit just because you're in the right lane. If I'm driving at the speed limit, there's not issue whatsoever with me driving in the right lane.

10 minutes ago, Myran said:

And as usual, the overtaking brigade is out in full force, peddling their nonsens about staying in the left lane unless you're overtaking. You're not allowed to push your car to the limit just because you're in the right lane. If I'm driving at the speed limit, there's not issue whatsoever with me driving in the right lane.

Oh but there is....

Section 34 (500B)
[If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:
a. there is obstruction on the road
b. the road is prescribed as one-way
c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction
d. when overtaking another vehicle
e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

Archived