BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Video: SOM NAM NA! Thais show no sympathy for pick-up driver

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sanook did not report on the fate of the driver of the crashed vehicle.

My wife recognized the driver by his license plate.  He is a professional driving instructor.  My wife's ability to steer a pickup is a testament to his professionalism.

3 hours ago, kkerry said:

People in Thailand hesitate at intersections because first and fastest away is the one who gets t-boned by someone running the red light from the other direction...  numerous Thai videos on YouTube (and ThaiVisa).

That's not the problem.  It's after starting off on green & safely passing the intersection, so many drivers are incredibly slow at accelerating when safe to do so!

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Did you notice that the truck that crashed indicated both times he changed lanes ??  Give him a tiny bit of credit !!

Maybe it was a farang.........

why is this NOT shown/part of the vid we have to watch/suffer when applying for new licences....AND EMPHASISE it TO ALL THAIS?????

Were the vehicle which took the video and the other vehicle in front of him, who were breaking the law by not driving in the left lane, fined?

The driver should have slowed down on the gravel road, but if the two other slow vehicles would not have clogged the right lane this accident would not have happened

The driver in the black pickup did everything right except anticipate the slippery gravel on the left lane. 

That was caused by bad road design for not having correct camber (slope), poor drainage allowing dirt to build up and poor maintenance allowing branches to encroach on the left lane. 

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

I have to disagree. I have found the majority of Thai drivers to be courteous and careful. I especially appreciate their patience and lack of horn honking. The problem is the very large minority who drive like complete maniacs. It would be so easy to remedy the wild west drivers by having an active police force patrolling the roads. 

6 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

My wife recognized the driver by his license plate.  He is a professional driving instructor.  My wife's ability to steer a pickup is a testament to his professionalism.

So the guy who couldn't steer his vehicle on a slippery surface taught your wife how to steer? I think he steered too much.

13 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

We could make a song about it:

Song nam na my Lord Som nam na ....

(repeat 3 times)

Oh Lord Som nam na ....

Somchai trashed his truck, som nom na.

Oh Lord, need new car

I've never driven in Thailand.

It looks like he was in a legitimate driving lane and the road condition in his lane caused the issue.

Which lane is the passing lane? (Was he trying to pass in the correct lane)?

I would stop and start Laughing, I have a Dream, A new place to Drink? Find the worst,, most Deadly intersection in Pattaya and watch the accidents !!!! FUN !!!! new Hobby,, BTW was a Medic in MY past Life,, 16 yrs in TH. <deleted>--UU-Up....

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I've never driven in Thailand.

It looks like he was in a legitimate driving lane and the road condition in his lane caused the issue.

Which lane is the passing lane? (Was he trying to pass in the correct lane)?

The road looks like a road on the outskirts of town, as such it will likely have an 80kmh speed limit, although we can never be sure, it looks like the first pickup was close to this speed.

The first pickup was also in the right hand lane, which its not supposed to be unless it is passing another vehicle. It had just passed a motorcycle and remained in the right most lane as the road quality / conditions in the left lane were poor - no one can blame the first pickup driver for maintaining his position in the right lane. 

The pickup which crashed attempted to undertake, an illegal move, in doing so was likely exceeding the speed limit, fortunately his impatience did not impact anyone else. 

16 hours ago, Alan Michael said:

Why didn't the filming car and the car in front stop?

Probably one of us farangs that know they'd get the blame and scammed for insurance purposes merely for driving sensibly !