Video: SOM NAM NA! Thais show no sympathy for pick-up driver

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Myran said:

And as usual, the overtaking brigade is out in full force, peddling their nonsens about staying in the left lane unless you're overtaking. You're not allowed to push your car to the limit just because you're in the right lane. If I'm driving at the speed limit, there's not issue whatsoever with me driving in the right lane.

Which is fair enough... But we've all been there, sat behind a car tootling along in the outside (right most) lane, oblivious anyone around them...  it is at these drivers the criticism you discuss is aimed...  its not an 'overtaking brigade'... its just guys who get rightly irritated by those who impact others with their lack of awareness or consideration for others. 

If you are at the speed limit and the inside (left lane) is clear, that is the lane you should be in, by law (land traffic act section 34).

If the inside (left lane) is in poor condition there is cause for argument to remain in the outside (right hand) lane. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Myran said:

And as usual, the overtaking brigade is out in full force, peddling their nonsens about staying in the left lane unless you're overtaking. You're not allowed to push your car to the limit just because you're in the right lane. If I'm driving at the speed limit, there's not issue whatsoever with me driving in the right lane.

Guess you're  one of those idiots  then if you are  sitting in the right lane even if  you are doing the speed  limit, the issue is the law says KEEP  LEFT its  doesnt say keep  left unless you are doing the speed limit and have decided that you are judge  jury and executioner for everyone else.

36 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Guess you're  one of those idiots  then if you are  sitting in the right lane even if  you are doing the speed  limit, the issue is the law says KEEP  LEFT its  doesnt say keep  left unless you are doing the speed limit and have decided that you are judge  jury and executioner for everyone else.

The law also says that you're not allowed to drive over the speed limit, so you have no business trying to overtake anyone going the speed limit, regardless of which lane said person is in.

21 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

If you look at the lines painted on the roadway it appears that the left lane was actually still there but that the brush and trees were choking it from the side and it was also full of dirt and sand. While the driver didn't exercise enough caution, I don't believe that he was passing on a dirt shoulder. (or at least what was ever meant to be a dirt shoulder)

You can look at the video all you like. The point of impact is where this road downsizes to 2-way, ie. end of dual carriageway. Plenty signage and chances are the muppet driving is familiar with this and has pulled-off the same stunt before. Sometimes you're the bug... sometimes you're the windshield.

Som nam nah.

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

Were the vehicle which took the video and the other vehicle in front of him, who were breaking the law by not driving in the left lane, fined?

The driver should have slowed down on the gravel road, but if the two other slow vehicles would not have clogged the right lane this accident would not have happened

Both the white pickup and the 'camera car' were in the correct lane for the END OF DUAL CARRIAGEWAY.

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Pickups need speed limiters fitted.  After minibus drivers, pickup drivers display the most disregard for human safety.  One roared past me yesterday, on the inside, cut across two lanes, belching black smoke at over 100 clicks ph.  The engines are too powerful for their use.

No, my bog standard sports lorry DOES NOT need speed limiters. On the other hand, I have no problems changing lane at around 160 kph while courteously signalling my intent.

The smoke-belching, low-rider pickup that you encountered had been 'chipped' and even on a bad day, I still p!ss all over them.

37 minutes ago, Myran said:

The law also says that you're not allowed to drive over the speed limit, so you have no business trying to overtake anyone going the speed limit, regardless of which lane said person is in.

So are you one of those idiots that when driving at the speed limit, surreptitiously changes lanes to make sure the less ardent adheres to the speed limit and can't get past you? Bronze Fortuner with TRD package and the fake twin exhaust package? No? Not you?

Bugger!

54 minutes ago, Myran said:

Does not change the fact you should not be remaining in the right hand lane if its clear in the left lanes..law.

Section 34 (500B)
[If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:
a. there is obstruction on the road
b. the road is prescribed as one-way
c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction
d. when overtaking another vehicle
e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Both the white pickup and the 'camera car' were in the correct lane for the END OF DUAL CARRIAGEWAY.

I just watched the video again, there is no end of dual carriageway the one lane just has a lot of dirt on it, but it are still two lanes for each direction. So the vehicles are supposed to stay in the left lane if they not overtaking another vehicle.

4 hours ago, Myran said:

Judge, Jury, Executioner and Policeman!:post-4641-1156694572:

Why does someone become an impatient jerk behind the wheel of a new pickup truck? Do they really think they are now more important than everyone else? From the way he drives it appears so: speeding in the slow lane, braking and veering to the right, passing in the slow lane, speeding over gravel in what appears to be a construction zone. Obviously he is of such high social status everyone should pull over and give way.  Som nam na!

I've been driving pickup trucks for about 45 years in the US, large ones and small ones.  Dirt roads, rain, snow...  They don't handle like sports cars, especially when there isn't any weight out back.  One learns the art of sliding around a bit but keeping the vehicle going in the right direction.  The jerk was just going too fast and perhaps jerking the steering too quickly and in the wrong direction when he hit the sand/gravel/dirt.  I always steered in the direction of the skid, not the opposite way which would induce more spin. (I did a nice 360 once, but recovered.  Damned 1969 Chevy Camaro was light in the back. A buddy totaled a similar Pontiac Firebird 400 at speed by passing and changing lanes too quickly on a wet road.)

The drivers I admire are the rally car drivers who run on twisty dirt roads at insane speeds and still manage to make it.  (Usually.)  Maybe these Thai drivers are watching too many videos like this.

"Honey, I'm running down to 7-11 real quick.  Be back in a few..."

1 hour ago, Uptooyoo said:

Why does someone become an impatient jerk behind the wheel of a new pickup truck? Do they really think they are now more important than everyone else? From the way he drives it appears so: speeding in the slow lane, braking and veering to the right, passing in the slow lane, speeding over gravel in what appears to be a construction zone. Obviously he is of such high social status everyone should pull over and give way.  Som nam na!

Or maybe just frustrated by those illegally hogging the outside lane, nobody in this video was driving particularly fast.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:53 PM, PatOngo said:

Would you stop far an idiot like that?

On 6/27/2019 at 12:53 PM, PatOngo said:

Would you stop far an idiot like that?

a big NO....why get involved....best to keep as far away as possible....let Police and others sort problem out.....

21 hours ago, Myran said:

and just WHO sticks to the SPEED LIMITS ???!!!!

On 6/28/2019 at 7:13 AM, hotchilli said:

Or if the left hand lane was cleared of sand/gravel/debris which made the lane usable?

Where the black pickup is at the ditch, there is only one lane for vehicles with four or more wheels;
he passed the other vehicle on the track of two wheels and agricultural vehicles; a track that is much narrower than a normal traffic lane;
a few hundred meters before, there were actually four lanes of automobile traffic plus two lanes reserved for two wheels and agricultural vehicles.
This narrow road is in very bad condition because never cleaned, we see the moped overtakes that rolls in the left lane of the cars.

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I've been driving pickup trucks for about 45 years in the US, large ones and small ones.  Dirt roads, rain, snow...  They don't handle like sports cars, especially when there isn't any weight out back.  One learns the art of sliding around a bit but keeping the vehicle going in the right direction.  The jerk was just going too fast and perhaps jerking the steering too quickly and in the wrong direction when he hit the sand/gravel/dirt.  I always steered in the direction of the skid, not the opposite way which would induce more spin. (I did a nice 360 once, but recovered.  Damned 1969 Chevy Camaro was light in the back. A buddy totaled a similar Pontiac Firebird 400 at speed by passing and changing lanes too quickly on a wet road.)

The drivers I admire are the rally car drivers who run on twisty dirt roads at insane speeds and still manage to make it.  (Usually.)  Maybe these Thai drivers are watching too many videos like this.

"Honey, I'm running down to 7-11 real quick.  Be back in a few..."

In Thailand there is a growing middle class. Many have traded-up from 125cc motorbikes and have little to no experience driving 4 wheeled vehicles. Some acquire an attitude because now they see themselves higher on the social ladder and anyone deemed beneath them should yield and get out of their way. In Thailand, the biggest vehicle takes the right-of-way; smaller vehicles and traffic rules be damned.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:04 PM, darksidedog said:

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

I must say that one of the most frustrating aspects of driving here is that few folks seem to want to drive on the left. I can see that it's not feasible to drive 12" from the left edge of the road, but these cars are insistent on hogging the centre.

It's convenient when I come into my village - I ride on the right ('wrong side') because the speed bumps go right up to the kerb on the left side and oncoming traffic isn't even close. However, when doing the school run it's very dangerous (due to dirt/sand and a few nasty potholes) to try to ride on the left on a bike. 

When cars drive on the left, there's ample space for overtaking in the middle. It also allows me to overtake traffic safely on my scooter... The cars can easily drive anything up to a full metre from the left and still leave room in the centre for chrissakes!

The rules say drive left, and bikes shouldn't stay in the gutter unless they're too slow for traffic (and no scooter here is incapable of easily maintaining 60 to 80km/h) so I all I see here are a lot of bad drivers, and feel a fair bit of sympathy for the pickup driver's frustration (but not the fact that he's rallying in a vehicle that's inherently unsafe) and annoyance that similarly ignorant Thai drivers get on the high horse to condemn the unfortunate pickup driver. 

Sure he was stupid, but no more stupid than the other buffalo in the road.

The most interesting aspect of this is that all the observers are completely ignorant to the fact that it wouldn't happen if they opened some driving schools with proper driving instructors.

Archived