BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Video: SOM NAM NA! Thais show no sympathy for pick-up driver

On 6/27/2019 at 12:53 PM, PatOngo said:

Would you stop far an idiot like that?

On 6/27/2019 at 12:53 PM, PatOngo said:

Would you stop far an idiot like that?

a big NO....why get involved....best to keep as far away as possible....let Police and others sort problem out.....

21 hours ago, Myran said:

The law also says that you're not allowed to drive over the speed limit, so you have no business trying to overtake anyone going the speed limit, regardless of which lane said person is in.

and just WHO sticks to the SPEED LIMITS ???!!!!

On 6/28/2019 at 7:13 AM, hotchilli said:

Or if the left hand lane was cleared of sand/gravel/debris which made the lane usable?

Where the black pickup is at the ditch, there is only one lane for vehicles with four or more wheels;
he passed the other vehicle on the track of two wheels and agricultural vehicles; a track that is much narrower than a normal traffic lane;
a few hundred meters before, there were actually four lanes of automobile traffic plus two lanes reserved for two wheels and agricultural vehicles.
This narrow road is in very bad condition because never cleaned, we see the moped overtakes that rolls in the left lane of the cars.

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I've been driving pickup trucks for about 45 years in the US, large ones and small ones.  Dirt roads, rain, snow...  They don't handle like sports cars, especially when there isn't any weight out back.  One learns the art of sliding around a bit but keeping the vehicle going in the right direction.  The jerk was just going too fast and perhaps jerking the steering too quickly and in the wrong direction when he hit the sand/gravel/dirt.  I always steered in the direction of the skid, not the opposite way which would induce more spin. (I did a nice 360 once, but recovered.  Damned 1969 Chevy Camaro was light in the back. A buddy totaled a similar Pontiac Firebird 400 at speed by passing and changing lanes too quickly on a wet road.)

The drivers I admire are the rally car drivers who run on twisty dirt roads at insane speeds and still manage to make it.  (Usually.)  Maybe these Thai drivers are watching too many videos like this.

"Honey, I'm running down to 7-11 real quick.  Be back in a few..."

In Thailand there is a growing middle class. Many have traded-up from 125cc motorbikes and have little to no experience driving 4 wheeled vehicles. Some acquire an attitude because now they see themselves higher on the social ladder and anyone deemed beneath them should yield and get out of their way. In Thailand, the biggest vehicle takes the right-of-way; smaller vehicles and traffic rules be damned.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:04 PM, darksidedog said:

Very appropriate use of the phrase, because he is a complete idiot who did indeed thoroughly deserve what he got.

You'd like to think that the Thai folk commenting would learn from it too, because there is much driving of such a stupid nature all over the country daily.

I must say that one of the most frustrating aspects of driving here is that few folks seem to want to drive on the left. I can see that it's not feasible to drive 12" from the left edge of the road, but these cars are insistent on hogging the centre.

It's convenient when I come into my village - I ride on the right ('wrong side') because the speed bumps go right up to the kerb on the left side and oncoming traffic isn't even close. However, when doing the school run it's very dangerous (due to dirt/sand and a few nasty potholes) to try to ride on the left on a bike. 

When cars drive on the left, there's ample space for overtaking in the middle. It also allows me to overtake traffic safely on my scooter... The cars can easily drive anything up to a full metre from the left and still leave room in the centre for chrissakes!

The rules say drive left, and bikes shouldn't stay in the gutter unless they're too slow for traffic (and no scooter here is incapable of easily maintaining 60 to 80km/h) so I all I see here are a lot of bad drivers, and feel a fair bit of sympathy for the pickup driver's frustration (but not the fact that he's rallying in a vehicle that's inherently unsafe) and annoyance that similarly ignorant Thai drivers get on the high horse to condemn the unfortunate pickup driver. 

Sure he was stupid, but no more stupid than the other buffalo in the road.

The most interesting aspect of this is that all the observers are completely ignorant to the fact that it wouldn't happen if they opened some driving schools with proper driving instructors.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:02 PM, ianezy0 said:

Yep, I would stop for anyone to see how they are and give help if necessary.

Does this make me a bad person?

No but possibly foolhardy. No good deed goes unpunished.