How much to pay family builder

Planning on building a small guest accom on our land. Nothing too fancy but great views and gardens. Question is. My wife has a relative/contact from her village (which we live 500klms away, thankfully). Who is willing to do the work. Question is, how much. 

I thought best thing is to start at the bottom. Which supposedly is 300bht per day. Okay lets double that to 600bht. Oh no that won't be enough says the wife. After 10 years marriage I continue being the walking ATM.

The guy in question doesn't work. He'd make more in 3 months than he ever has, and not one cent out of his pocket. Transport, meals, accom and I know wife will supply him beers when needed. 

Most likely it will be him with couple of helpers (the ones that disappear for a few days after a night on the turps). 

If I can get a room, bathroom, outdoor verandah etc built for about 100,000 in labour I think I'd be doing okay.

I could go the prefab thing, but we like to make it a little unique and within keeping with the main property. 

Appreciate any suggestions.   

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Pay more to strangers and DO NOT deal with relatives or friends, nothing good will came out of it, 'nuff said...

You will do well to take ezzra,s advice.....:thumbsup:

why not get plans drawn up and get three quotes. Ask relative to tender as well. Check if he can get accurate building material quantities. If his price and accuracy are in the ball park of other builders, ask him for an idea on his scheduling.

If he ticks all the boxes, sign a contract as you would with any builder.

Employ the rellies and lets see when "happyaussie" becomes
Sad
Disbelieving
Astonished
Angry
Never again
Tired
Broken
How much!
Not finished yet?
But it's not straight
Wheres all this water from
Etc, etc "-------aussie"

Get someone you have no connections to.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. This will be my 4th build. Two substantial houses, and one Reno. Previous were contract which other than workers disappearing to either harvest or plant rice was relatively painless. 

And no doubt I paid too much. But still tens of thousands cheaper than building in Australia...that's a given.

I'm just not too sure how much to pay per day. 

Archived