Police captain shoots himself dead over ‘unfair transfer’

rooster59

Police captain shoots himself dead over ‘unfair transfer’

By The Nation

A police captain shot himself dead in his home in Chumphon’s Pathio district on Wednesday night apparently because he felt he was unfairly transferred three months ago.

Police said Pol Capt Pichet Suchartpong, deputy inspector in charge of investigation of the Map Amarit police station, 48, was found dead in his house, which is about 500 metres from the police station.

He died of a gunshot wound at his right temple. A 9mm pistol was found in his right hand.

A suicide note was left in which he complained that he had been unfairly transferred from the crime suppression job to an investigative job because of nepotism.

Pichet's 14-year-old daughter noticed that his bedroom light was not switched on after dark so she called her mother, who was visiting her elder brother, to return home to check. Pichet’s wife, Anna Sinthunon, 44, found his body.

When Pol Col Seksit Suwanrit, deputy Chumphon police chief, visited the house after learning of the suicide, Pichet's wife said that her husband became depressed after his transfer three months ago.

She said Pichet was unfairly transferred and his superior did not consult him about the transfer.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371836

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-27

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A police captain shot himself dead in his home in Chumphon’s Pathio district on Wednesday night apparently because he felt he was unfairly transferred three months ago.

I f suddenly feel so safe knowing that there is such a wide spread mental stability in the force.

Depression can be a serious condition, that can affect different people in different ways, It's no joke, and not necessarily a sign of weakness.  RIP. sorry for the family.

Being transferred after a case nepotism, when you feel that your a good cop, can eat away inside.

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Just shows how immature many Thai men are.   When they can't get their own way they have to throw some kind of wobbly; they can't take it 'Up 'em'. !

Hmmm, on another approach ... if I were to be faced with a disabling or terminal illness? If I arrived at the decision that continued life was not worth it? Can I count on your deciding that I don't have the right to end my life? I am thinking you might well condemn my action as immature?

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A police captain shot himself dead in his home in Chumphon’s Pathio district on Wednesday night apparently because he felt he was unfairly transferred

This is the level of maturity of those employed to protect the people? 

Good that this one didn't execute those promoted ahead of him, like the last report. 

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Your level  of compassion astounds me some of you posters.

Believe me depression is very real for those unfortunate to be struck with it & need help

Although it didnt state that he was depressed and he may not have been  

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although it didnt state that he was depressed and he may not have been  

Sanemax, you have done it again, responded without reading the article or else not understood what you were reading.  It was very clear he was depressed or don't you believe this statement from that article ?

"When Pol Col Seksit Suwanrit, deputy Chumphon police chief, visited the house after learning of the suicide, Pichet's wife said that her husband became depressed after his transfer three months ago."

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Just shows how immature many Thai men are.   When they can't get their own way they have to throw some kind of wobbly; they can't take it 'Up 'em'. !

It appears that you did not consider depression as possible cause for his decision to end his life

Depression is not sign of weakness, nor does "just get on with it" help those living with depression

I hope his wife and family receive suitable counselling to help them cope with grief

Perhaps the RTP can look at how decisions can affect officers.

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

No it doesn't.

This man was depressed.

Just slating a suicide as immaturity, is disgraceful.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Hmmm, on another approach ... if I were to be faced with a disabling or terminal illness? If I arrived at the decision that continued life was not worth it? Can I count on your deciding that I don't have the right to end my life? I am thinking you might well condemn my action as immature?

To be fair that is an entirely different scenario. Suicide due to a job transfer is OTT and a permanent solution to a temporary issue (he could bounce back later, didn't lose salary, still a Police Capt etc.). How many ordinary, non-officer, Policemen get shunted around?  It was time to curse the senior, suck it up, plan for ways to get ahead not blow your brains out.

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

To be fair that is an entirely different scenario. Suicide due to a job transfer is OTT and a permanent solution to a temporary issue (he could bounce back later, didn't lose salary, still a Police Capt etc.). How many ordinary, non-officer, Policemen get shunted around?  It was time to curse the senior, suck it up, plan for ways to get ahead not blow your brains out.

Perhaps Robert, he had been doing this for a long time, had other issues, & the transfer was the 'final straw'.

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Man the same rate as the USA, Finland etc.

Thai man is immature, what problem the farang have?

5 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

To complain about nepotism in the RTP is comparable to complaining of the cold in the Arctic.

All aspects of Thai government and attached agencies are full of nepotism. I recall working on consulting projects in many gov't places where the boss was much younger than the staff and severely lacking in knowledge and experience, all from nepotism, also meaning the older well experienced staff were required to perform all the ritual respects, including wait for the boss in the car park, open the car door with head bowed and carry her handbag to her office etc., etc. Also meaning those who had earned promotions and were capable of contributing well to Thailand remained locked in lower jobs  with no recognition and not contributing to Thailand.

A certain airline is a good example and there are more.

A twist, manager positions created for specific staff, who in reality were very average performers, but were upset that they didn't have high status like the members of their university year of graduation etc. Adding to the sillyness they had no reporting staff and more to the point their assigned duties were not of a management nature or role. 

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

All aspects of Thai government and attached agencies are full of nepotism. I recall working on consulting projects in many gov't places where the boss was much younger than the staff and severely lacking in knowledge and experience, all from nepotism, also meaning the older well experienced staff were required to perform all the ritual respects, including wait for the boss in the car park, open the car door with head bowed and carry her handbag to her office etc., etc. Also meaning those who had earned promotions and were capable of contributing well to Thailand remained locked in lower jobs  with no recognition and not contributing to Thailand.

A certain airline is a good example and there are more.

A twist, manager positions created for specific staff, who in reality were very average performers, but were upset that they didn't have high status like the members of their university year of graduation etc. Adding to the sillyness they had no reporting staff and more to the point their assigned duties were not of a management nature or role. 

It is factually one of the least productive nation's on the planet. My suspicion is that it's going to get worse. 3 months, no government. The people need to wake the F up.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

All aspects of Thai government and attached agencies are full of nepotism. ...

A twist, manager positions created for specific staff, who in reality were very average performers, but were upset that they didn't have high status like the members of their university year of graduation etc.

That explains a lot.  Thank you, @scorecard

This obsession with "face", how does it benefit the local culture??  Surely everybody realizes the nature of the "created" positions.  Nobody is fooled.  But there are costs involved.  Where's the benefit?

Sad to hear, commiserations to his family. ON a more practical note however, it shows that whatever THE REASON , a Thai male ( Police Officer )  with Ego and Face issues had access to a weapon ( 24/7 )  , he killed himself but he could have easily killed others on route to his own death, that is the dangerous and worrying bit, just how well trained and mentally capable and checked up on are these so-called bastions of Law and Order here . 

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

And it seems you think all Thai men are like this, correct? I guess that shows how ignorant people from [insert your home country] are.

Nepotism is rife in Thailand and is the way to go up the ladder with help from those in a position... however there are those who try to perform their duties in a professional manner and get no rewards.

Depression sets in & then anything can happen, rational thinking goes out of the window!

Archived