Denied tourist visa at Vientiane - new rule 1x per year

58 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You may want to correct the Thai Revenue Department who are helping to propagate this myth.

Source: https://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

I'll correct you, Tim, not the revenue department. 

The reason overseas income is in practice not taxable ("if you bring it in next year"), i.e. never taxable, is because of a 1987 loophole the Elites at the time invented to suit them. A ruling.

"A resident of Thailand earning income from sources outside Thailand does not bring his foreign paid income  into Thailand in the same calendar year of earning income. He must not pay income tax. "(The Revenue Department's ruling No. Gor Kor 0802/696 1 May 1987)

And according to the RD code, yes, you are a tax resident if you spend more than 180 days a year in Thailand.

Edited by lkv

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Nah its not, it's decent value for money. Prolly the cheapest long term visa thing you can buy in the world, tell me one other country where i can get a 20 year visa with certain bonuses for only 30k USD?

Are you serious? There are a lot of countries where one can buy a house with this money. Visa (and in some cases - citizenship) included.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lashay said:

You are arguing semantics.

Yes they are not technically nomads as not moving around enough but there is no popular term for online/remote workers who can work anywhere but decide to mainly stay in one foreign country so people just lump them under the digital nomad title because, job wise, they can move tomorrow with no impact to their job/career

You are actually reinforcing my argument. Go back to read what I wrote.

My point was exactly that there is nothing holding them to Thailand, if they can move tomorrow with no impact to their job/career.

The people with the issue are those who have invested heavily in the country and are feeling increasingly persona non grata. They aren't worried about their job/career. They are worried about their lives.

But if someone has purchased assets, such as a house of apartment, that doesn't sound much like a nomad now, does it?

They'll be stuck to a certain extent, if they cannot get access to their fixed asset. Just like the others.

So digital nomad in that case is nonsense, if they cannot just close the lid on their laptop and leave.

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

So digital nomad in that case is nonsense, if they cannot just close the lid on their laptop and leave.

Semantics.

Ok, a digital nomad that made the mistake of purchasing some asset. Still a digital nomad.

So glad I didn't. It made my move easier.

Edited by lkv

10 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I guess you're gonna enjoy the 1,600 baht fine Jomtien Immigration gives you when you go in for an extension of stay.

Why should they, they didn't in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 .... etc etc 

1600 baht spread over 10 years plus.... seems like a bargain considering the considerable effort of getting there and queuing at one of the less efficient lines! As said many many times. I get fined the once, I change my ways. 

10 hours ago, bbi1 said:

UbonJoe and others have all mentioned about the number of people at Jomtien Immigration getting 1,600 baht fines. I saw with my own eyes people getting fined too who didn't do it.

Not what I asked you! I have seen with my own eyes myself not getting fined for the last decade. UJ also has mentioned many times Jomtiem are not requiring it at this time for people on retirement extensions living in their own properties. 

Edited by jacko45k