Denied tourist visa at Vientiane - new rule 1x per year

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Actually quite a few American citizens come to Thailand to work illegally . Not all work 9-5 jobs. Plenty of digital nomads, guys playing stock market or poker.

It is not clear that working as a digital nomad in Thailand with no Thai employer or customer is illegal. It is certainly at least tolerated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BestB said:

They just realised if you rich enough to have such a long holiday, you should have enough cash to buy into Elite and if you are not, either you working or not worth having around anyway.

Not everyone who wants to spend a year or so in Thailand is willing to drop 500,000 baht for what is effectively a multiple entry tourist visa. You may be right about the thinking of some of the officials, but it is flawed thinking.

7 minutes ago, Brad103 said:

Nope I didn’t post on there yesterday, but I’m a member of the group and have commented before. 

Right ok. Cos I was reading this. There was this guy in Vientiane that had number 19 and also had a Japanese girlfriend in Bangkok, so I thought it was you. Coincidentally, his name is also Brad.

But he had 2 UK passports and you have an American one.

Screenshot_20190627-174636_Facebook.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Or, why not create a visa class for them, and keep them in the Thai economy, instead of forcing them to leave, and they spend their money in another countriy's economy? 

Have they taken a Thai job? No.

Are they bringing in foreign currency?  Yes.

What if they are not even a digital nomad, and just living off renting their house/s out in their home county? 

They paint everyone under 50 living here as they must be working illegally, when there is no evidence to support that is the case. 

Its called Elite visa, 5 or 20 years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brad103 said:

@lkv wow, that really is an odd coincidence, what with the same name and Japanese girlfriend haha.

And in the same day same place with you can you imagine. He was number 19 you were number 65.

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nickstav said:

I'm in the same boat my friend. I'd be happy to leave the LOS, but what about my Thai girlfriend? Where can I bring her? We've been together 5 years, can't get married (please don't ask why). I'm not worried about me, but what about her? Where can we go together?

Unless you have quite a bit stashed away, or legit profitable online or otherwise business data, it is extremely difficult to take a Thai or Filipina anywhere in the west, even for a vacay. a friend wanted to take his SO to France for a once in a lifetime free canal trip, another mutual friend has a live-aboard boat there.

She outright owns a THB6 million house, A newish car, and a legit small business. But she's cash poor (he take care) they would not accept his sponsorship for the Schengen visa, and they're both not youngsters. It's not as if she could get on the game there!

Another friend wanted to take his Filipina to Aussie for a mere week. They were not married, and she's dirt poor. Denied!

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

If you can afford to stay here and follow the rules they set they want you here - if you can't they don't

I actually agree with their rules (even though it does affect me as well) and wish that countries like the UK would adopt the same attitude 

The official rules are: Arrive by air, 30 days visa exempt, can be extended by 30 days, no limit.

Actually this would be quite easy to follow, the only problem are IOs which break the laws and deny people for arbitrary reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

So you agree with 90 day reporting and TM30?

Or just the visa part?

It doesn't what I or others agree with - if Immigration decide that's what is required then that's what is required

To many people think that Immigration should bend over for them - that's not how it works

I am in no way a Thai apologist however unlike most I do understand that I am living in a foreign country and part of that requires following whatever rules Immigration decide is required to stay here

We all have to do that - most spend hours on here moaning about it then do whatever they need to do to satisfy the requirements - others don't moan about it and just get on with what needs to be done

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If that's the case, make a rule, and enforce it, nation wide.

For example:  a foreigner is allowed 3 x 30 stamps in a calendar year.  Or, a 2 tourist visas in a calendar year.  Or 1 tourist visa and and 2 x 30 day stamps.  That's it.  Put it in writing.  Release it to the mediai.  Set a start date.  Inform EVERY boarder office.  

At least then, people can plan when, and for how long they can stay here, and when they can return.

At the moment, it's a very unstable system, open to interpretation by individuals, with so much uncertainty. 

Think about how that does make sense at all. Not everyone is starting from zero visas or stamps.

Then what about the person who goes home between the visa exemptions and the ones who just pop over to neighbouring countries. 

Thank goodness they have discretion. They have the discretion to allow someone with 4 x visa exemptions if they think it is appropriate.

What if the particular problem is concentrated in certain areas? 

Note that there seemed to be many more refusals from people who are coming in from neighbouring countries, but don't actually live in those neighbouring countries. Don Mueang deserves a special mention here. As most are not flying in from their home countries to that airport.

I understand your frustrations, but people are always going to try to take advantage.

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

It's not.  I have an Elite 5 year visa.  It is a multi-entry tourist visa and specifically states that I cannot work using this visa type.  Well I do work - I teach online from my rented house in Thailand.

But since it strictly not legal, and since I don't like looking over my shoulder all the time I'm relocating to Laos next month when my Elite visa expires.  In Lao I will have a 12-month business visa and WP that allows me to legally work 'online'.

Thailand's loss... (not that they'll be crying) ????

Question was why not have visa for longer stay. but with Elite i believe you can get WP, or easy to change or something like that. But do not hold me to it, just remember reading something

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Which is obviously a product that is not appealing to the masses.  Whether it be the price, or the possibility the scheme gets revoked and people are let without a refund and without a visa, I don't know. 

Perhaps they should do some market research as to why it's not popular.  

As enough member mentioned, why not something like pay $1000USD for a 1 year multiple entry Elite Card?  

If they think they are forcing people onto the Elite Card, they are wrong.  They are forcing them to other countries.   

There are many ifs and why's , but we can only work with what we have ???? and that is Elite, 500 000 for 5 years

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I agree with some other posters, this is about people living here on tourist visa. To live here they want an extension of stay or non immigrant visa.

To get an "extension of stay" you first need to get a SETV or METV,  enter Thailand, then within 60 days go to immigration to apply for "an extension of stay" and pay the 1,9090 baht fee.

6 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It doesn't what I or others agree with - if Immigration decide that's what is required then that's what is required

You should read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_powers

Immigration is the executive, they don't make the laws, they just exercise them. Thai law gives some specific reasons for when somebody should be denied entry, IOs don't have discretion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Not paying into the system. How so?

Rent, food, drink, electric, transport, leisure activities, visa fees, VAT. communications.  Just to name a few.  They convert their foreign currency into local currency and create employment.

Wouldn't you accept this, from a guy that does nothing else for work but sits in his condo, on a computer, for a few hours a day / night? 

yeah yeah so does every other expat here including myself and in a multitude of other ways - the difference is the ones working legally also pay these little things called TAXES and err last i check governments worldwide kind of find them important.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1