Denied tourist visa at Vientiane - new rule 1x per year

8 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Think about how that does make sense at all. Not everyone is starting from zero visas or stamps.

Then what about the person who goes home between the visa exemptions and the ones who just pop over to neighbouring countries. 

Thank goodness they have discretion. They have the discretion to allow someone with 4 x visa exemptions if they think it is appropriate.

What if the particular problem is concentrated in certain areas? 

Note that there seemed to be many more refusals from people who are coming in from neighbouring countries, but don't actually live in those neighbouring countries. Don Mueang deserves a special mention here. As most are not flying in from their home countries to that airport.

I understand your frustrations, but people are always going to try to take advantage.

People will know the rules.

From 1st jan to 31st Dec - they can have, for example, 3 x 30 day stamps, or 2 x 60 tourist visas.  That's it.  Plan around that, or get a Non O or retirement visa.

Biometrics at the crossings, and you flag up in, or out, until next 1st Jan.  Simple system, really. 

It's the discretion that is killing the place. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Actually, who says that's not allowed? On a SETV or METV the remarks say "Employment Prohibited". Being a digital nomad, playing stock market, etc. is not employment.

Actually it is, because you are earning money doing whatever while in Thailand. Fortunately you can not be caught as its impossible to prove

• Sad 1

Just now, BestB said:

But Thailand is not Vietnam, why bother comparing apples to oranges?

If Vietnam is your choice, you simple go there without whining why Thailand this or that.

Thailand is this or that because it is what it is.

Just saying, if the farmer won't let you live in the apple orchard anymore, living in a nearby orange orchard is a good alternative.   ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Just saying, if the farmer won't let you live in the apple orchard anymore, living in a nearby orange orchard is a good alternative.   ????

And yet people doing all possible to stay in Thailand ????

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Would be very easy to solve for Thailand, but it looks like they don't want to.

Allow foreigners to register a personal business, with the limitation that all income has to come from abroad. Introduce an extension for people which run such a business, required income 65k per month.

i would love this to happen.

about 90% of the nomads here are gonna need a LOT more clicks to meet that hurdle though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BestB said:

And yet people doing all possible to stay in Thailand ????

Hard to detach particularly for the ones with strings.

Edited by lkv

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Troll posts removed.   Continue and face a suspension.

And now a bunch of off topic, inflammatory, bickering and bating posts and replies to them have been removed.

Time to get back on topic and stop the bickering.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

One tourist visa will get you how many months including extension?

3 months if a single entry tourist visa

9 months if a multi entry tourist visa.

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

How many visa exempt stamps can you get per year?

By air, technically unlimited but you never know when you will lose the 'denial of entry lottery'.

By land, 2 per calendar year.

14 hours ago, nickstav said:

I'm in the same boat my friend. I'd be happy to leave the LOS, but what about my Thai girlfriend? Where can I bring her? We've been together 5 years, can't get married (please don't ask why). I'm not worried about me, but what about her? Where can we go together?

Philippines. She is part of ASEAN so no visa needed. Can get a 30 day on arrival. Can then extend visa every month or two for 3 years. Leave for one day and start over.

I went to the Philippines not long ago. I used my Thai passport because that is how I entered Thailand. Got my 30 day visa on arrival. No problem.

Edited by habanero

Sadly, like many things in life, it all comes down to money. If you have money, you can find ways to buy your stay in Thailand. If you don't, you will get squeezed. That's the reality of trying to live in one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

Money talks, bullshit walks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nickstav said:

I'm in the same boat my friend. I'd be happy to leave the LOS, but what about my Thai girlfriend? Where can I bring her? We've been together 5 years, can't get married (please don't ask why). I'm not worried about me, but what about her? Where can we go together?

Cambodia, 6 month eg extension while u look for work
If it were me and they didn't stamp anything in ur passport, head to Malaysia, Burma, Cambodia and apply for a tourist visa there.

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

And now a bunch of off topic, inflammatory, bickering and bating posts and replies to them have been removed.

Time to get back on topic and stop the bickering.

And now posts attempting to start a bickering session.

No notice will be given when posts are removed from now on.

The OP does not state the order of hs 3 x visa exempts and 1 x Tourist visa, this might have a bearing on the decision. However, look at from the IO's point of view - the applicant has been in Thailand for almost a  total of six months and wants another couple of months - suggests he is not a tourist.

1 minute ago, CelticTam said:

The OP does not state the order of hs 3 x visa exempts and 1 x Tourist visa, this might have a bearing on the decision. However, look at from the IO's point of view - the applicant has been in Thailand for almost a  total of six months and wants another couple of months - suggests he is not a tourist.

Yes, these were back to back.

visa exempt in late October 2018

TV from Vientiane in dec 2018.

Then 2 more border runs across nong khai and back same day.

so I’m thinking they must be looking at the whole history in the passport.

2 minutes ago, CelticTam said:

I don't think that's the main message in the OP.

I might be wrong but I think Vientiane had a limit of 3 setv from their consulate. If the OP account is correct then thats a change.

1 minute ago, Brad103 said:

I was denied entry with tourist visa from Vientiane at Don Muang a couple months ago. I had a similar visa exempt history but never had a tourist visa. Someone might have told them to stop issuing visa with this kind of back to back history. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't think that's the main message in the OP.

I might be wrong but I think Vientiane had a limit of 3 setv from their consulate. If the OP account is correct then thats a change.

Right, i had always heard of people getting 3-5 from Vientiane despite exempt stamps before getting a red warning stamp. 

Just now, Brad103 said:

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry about your situation.  I cut and paste to keep up with current info. Thanks for posting your story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brad103 said:

Right, i had always heard of people getting 3-5 from Vientiane despite exempt stamps before getting a red warning stamp. 

Taking your post on face value I'm surprised you were refused setv. Yes you have had a continuous run on visa exempt and one setv, however I've read many accounts of longer stays and obtaining setv at Vientiane no problem. Tayaout account above is different. He had a TV and was denied entry at DM. That is becoming an issue for some.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brad103 said:

My passport renewal was in the US when I went for a while in 2018. And yeah, I do have an extensive history going back over 2 years now on tourist visas and exempt stamps. 

So I deserve this, I suppose. I definitely don’t feel sorry for myself, but just wanted to report about this new update. 

Thanks. One other question: did you ever have the "travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas" warning "red" stamp from Vientiane? I am wondering if they keep a list.

My Cambodian g/f was told in Phnom Penh she will not get another tourist visa and no reason given. She has been coming to Thailand 3Times a year  8years on tourist visas, but she can do as many back to back visa runs as needed, a real pain as she only gets 14day exempt stamp. Guess they'll stopping that next.