Would an international boycott of American goods and services help defeat Donald Trump in 2020?

Gecko123

Would an international boycott of American goods and services help defeat Donald Trump in 2020?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hate to tell you guys this, but Trump will lose the next election.

That's because, the vast majority of people in the USA were simply not concerned enough in the last election that a madman may come into power, so the vote was close, and maybe even fudged.

They, the vast majority, who were shocked after the fact, still, are not a vocal, "rabid" group, they are quietly making note of all his fallacies and mistakes, and waiting patiently for the election.

Whereas Trump's supporters are quite vocal, so you seem to think they hold a majority, and an "easy" win.

A very similar situation occurred in Sri Lanka, where I am presently, when the "King" Mahinda Rajapakse "won" a 30 year old war against the LTTE terrorists, and then, proceeded to allow people around him, ministers, relatives, etc., to act a little bit crazy.

He was so sure he was going to win, that he actually called an early election, and everybody really thought he was going to win.

He lost.  Badly.  It was a shock result for the press, and some of the people, because the "silent" massive vote bank who were not at all vocal about him leaving, proceeded to vote, most for the first time in their lives, and easily overtook his "rabid" vocal supporters.

Watch out for the silent majority.  Talk to anybody on the streets of the USA.  They will all tell you, Mr. Trump has been tolerated for as long as they can.  He is out. 

I will bet a steak dinner, and free flow of booze on it.

Any takers? 

2 minutes ago, porphyry said:

The only way to beat TRUMP is to act like him - Lie , Boast. Gloat and use twitter. About your accomplishments. Your biceps. Your everything.

Thank you Jesus for the Great White Hope, The #MAGA man.  

1 minute ago, CanadaSam said:

I hate to tell you guys this, but Trump will lose the next election.

That's because, the vast majority of people in the USA were simply not concerned enough in the last election that a madman may come into power, so the vote was close, and maybe even fudged.

They, the vast majority, who were shocked after the fact, still, are not a vocal, "rabid" group, they are quietly making note of all his fallacies and mistakes, and waiting patiently for the election.

Whereas Trump's supporters are quite vocal, so you seem to think they hold a majority, and an "easy" win.

A very similar situation occurred in Sri Lanka, where I am presently, when the "King" Mahinda Rajapakse "won" a 30 year old war against the LTTE terrorists, and then, proceeded to allow people around him, ministers, relatives, etc., to act a little bit crazy.

He was so sure he was going to win, that he actually called an early election, and everybody really thought he was going to win.

He lost.  Badly.  It was a shock result for the press, and some of the people, because the "silent" massive vote bank who were not at all vocal about him leaving, proceeded to vote, most for the first time in their lives, and easily overtook his "rabid" vocal supporters.

Watch out for the silent majority.  Talk to anybody on the streets of the USA.  They will all tell you, Mr. Trump has been tolerated for as long as they can.  He is out. 

I will bet a steak dinner, and free flow of booze on it.

Any takers? 

The difference is that the people who voted for Trump are blighted religious bigots who will stop at nothing- much like ISIS

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Thing is a lot of American stuff sold abroad is good stuff right through from foodstuffs , machinery , consumer goods not to mention their arms industry .. asking people to forego it as a way of defeating the Trump is asking them to accept in some cases inferior or 2nd best .. which I can't see folk doing somehow .. 

12 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Said boycott would be construed as an attack on the USA; consequently, nationalism would surge - thus helping Trump by shifting Centrists to the Right.

Trump is smarter than many realize. He would wait until the Democrats approved of the boycott - then he would label them as anti-American.

Like when Yanks started the French boycott - American fries.  Americans don't realize like us educated folks on Thai Visa how much our British and Australian allies hate them.  If they ever found out it would unite the people behind any nationalistic candidate.  

4 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

First who buys American goods  outside of America ? I mean by that goods manufactured in the US not manufactured elsewhere for US companies.  Also, as for services does that mean the likes of Facebook ad Google ?

Not sure about what kind of effect it would have, to boycott US goods. Boycotting US services might have more impact, but how do you wean the planet off Facebook, Amazon, and Google? 

There are alot of very high end goods made in the US. Composite lightweight tripods for the worldwide surveying industry, hardwood furniture, mattresses, tires, Weber grills, Airstream trailers, Gibson guitars, Martin guitars, countless automobiles and trucks, including much of the Tesla production, Wilson footballs, many Kitchenaid products, Snap-On tools, the majority of Whirlpool appliances, GE hot water heaters and refrigerators, some Lenovo computers, water filtration systems, dinnerware, clothing, socks, countless cosmetic companies, Stetson hats, many of the higher end New Balance shoes, Gillette blades, Zippo lighters, Louisville slugger bats, Benjamin Moore paint, Oreck vacuum cleaners, Pyrex glassware, Herman Miller furniture, Igloo coolers, Vitamix blenders, Viking appliances, Steinway pianos, Harley Davidson motorcycles (not for long due to ignorant Trump policy), Case knives, soaps, cookware, camping equipment, glues, chemicals, cast iron, cotton sheets, denim, watches and jewelry, pottery, rugs, tools, and alot more. 

And what about the aircraft industry? The medical industry? The defense industry? What does the average F-35 sell for? Between $94 and $125 million. How about a new Boeing 777? List price is $320,000,000. There is over $60 billion spent in the US alone, on pharmaceutical R & D. 

Where would one start to boycott the US, besides the service industries? As an American, I am not against the idea. Something needs to be done, to stop the absolute drivel and nonsense coming out of Washington. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Like when Yanks started the French boycott - American fries.  Americans don't realize like us educated folks on Thai Visa how much our British and Australian allies hate them.  If they ever found out it would unite the people behind any nationalistic candidate.  

Well, if America's allies did not like them before, how about now? Just two years in, and Trump has managed to alienate most of the long established US allies, and to coddle most of the world's worst dictators. That is just who he is. 

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Ford and another $180 million in car parts.  Millions in aircraft parts and oil and medical equipment.  A couple of billion in electronic equipment.  https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/exports/thailand

Yes, when I am in the hospital I can say "Please no US equipment, please use Philips or Siemens for the CT". And to boycott Air Asia because the fly with Boing and not Airbus also doesn´t help. 
Btw., don´t tell Trump that Thailand exports much more to the US than they import from there and the tariffs in Thailand are much more higher than the US ones. ????
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5490.html

21 minutes ago, CGW said:

There weapons are very good quality, just look at how many lives they are responsible for! ????

I thought Thailand was buying cheap 2nd hand submarines from China?  I think other countries should boycott the American Military and hardware especially when under attack from hostile neighbors at it would show real strength of character.  Kuwait comes to mind.  

A boycott of the U.S. is silly. It's not even realistic to boycott Israel (technology) so it's even more absurd to try to boycott the U.S. Perhaps there is another creative way to get the same message across. 

When does your flight for Columbia leave? You should really get going you know.

A boycott is a form of political protest. America has a long history of civil disobedience and political protest. From the Boston Tea Party, the Montgomery bus boycott, anti-war protests during the Vietnam war, Cesar Chavez's grape boycott. America has done its fair share of international boycotting too: South Africa for its apartheid policies, the 1980 Summer Olympics to protest Russia's invasion of Afghanistan. America has slapped plenty of economic sanctions on countries too. I think a boycott would be a very effective way for people to use their collective economic power to voice how they feel about a sovereign government's behavior.

Maryland?
When web forums are free of trolls? 

Columbia Maryland wow I used to live just down the street from Columbia Maryland on road 175 just 30 minutes north of Washington DC depending on traffic and about 15 minutes south of Baltimore Maryland. Fort Meade is right there in that area. Nice place to live in the US actually. Columbia Mall is ok but I definitely liked Arundel Mills Mall better it’s one of my favorite malls in the world they have a Mid-evil Times at Arundel Mills Mall in that area we saw the show at least 3 times. Oh and if you going to Columbia Maryland the closest airport is BWI. But I prefer to fly directly into Dulles International Airport on the Virginia side of DC with no layovers and just rent a car and drive the 45 minutes north to the Baltimore area. That’s one of my favorite places in the states besides a few other places. Have you ever been to that area before?

Columbia Maryland wow I used to live just down the street from Columbia Maryland on road 175 just 30 minutes north of Washington DC depending on traffic and about 15 minutes south of Baltimore Maryland. Fort Meade is right there in that area. Nice place to live in the US actually. Columbia Mall is ok but I definitely liked Arundel Mills Mall better it’s one of my favorite malls in the world they have a Mid-evil Times at Arundel Mills Mall in that area we saw the show at least 3 times. Oh and if you going to Columbia Maryland the closest airport is BWI. But I prefer to fly directly into Dulles International Airport on the Virginia side of DC with no layovers and just rent a car and drive the 45 minutes north to the Baltimore area. That’s one of my favorite places in the states besides a few other places. Have you ever been to that area before?

I hated North Carolina and Fayetteville though and Fort Bragg.
4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

People outside of America have the right to express their opinions about the American government. What the American government does affects practically everyone in the world. Opinion polls reflect strong levels of dissatisfaction with Trump around the globe.

People everywhere have a right to express their opinions and wishes about the upcoming American elections. Using your individual purchasing power to express your opinions is not election meddling. Trump supporters would be perfectly within their rights to increase their purchase of American goods and services if they so choose.

"Just listen to yourself....?" All I did was ask a question. Sorry if that threatens you. Last time I checked that was still legal in America.

What an utter farce of a post. Are you really going to assert that "opinion polls" are an indication of anything? Just for the record 'Hillary was going to win the last election'-'opinion polls' said so..... Yet here you are talking about a "strong level of dissatisfaction with Trump around the globe". Which countries exactly? Please post those 'polls'.

Trump is not a career politician who swings to the left and is not being dictated to by the UN and other left wing elite interests who want globalism. Again, your post is a farce full of delusion, you've obviously been watching too much of CNN, CBS, NBC et al.

9 minutes ago, Sid Bream said:

What an utter farce of a post. Are you really going to assert that "opinion polls" are an indication of anything? Just for the record 'Hillary was going to win the last election'-'opinion polls' said so..... Yet here you are talking about a "strong level of dissatisfaction with Trump around the globe". Which countries exactly? Please post those 'polls'.

Trump is not a career politician who swings to the left and is not being dictated to by the UN and other left wing elite interests who want globalism. Again, your post is a farce full of delusion, you've obviously been watching too much of CNN, CBS, NBC et al.

Next time do your own research:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/10/global-opinion-of-trump/571870/

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2018/10/01/trumps-international-ratings-remain-low-especially-among-key-allies/

Political discussions do not fit under the purpose of this forum as stated under its title. " Pensions, regulations, laws, etc. that affect expats living in Thailand. No visa related topics" 

The location for political discussions for home countries is in the  World News forum.

Topics found to be political will be closed.

Archived