Thailand’s prostitution laws out of step with reality

snoop1130

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its illegal mate, just not enforceable (or more accurately, some brown envelops are usually involved so the nightclubs won't get any surprise checkups..)

If you're so sure, why are prostitutes seldom prosecuted, other than those who solicit publicly and promiscuously?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/28/2019 at 8:24 AM, Skallywag said:

THey should form a union - if those are allowed in LOS. 

Protection money for what?    

You have a licence or permit to run a bar, pay taxes, employ people of legal age. 

What are the police going to shut you down for? 

They can shut you down for looking at them in a funny way.  My favourite bar pays an unspecified amount to two smart young policemen who turn up in person to collect for a 'music licence' irrespective of the fact that there is no sound system on the premises.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:07 AM, hansnl said:

Where did you get the stupid idea Thailand is the world's largest brothel?

I dare to say there are many countries in the world where prostitution is auch bigger thing.

Name one.

43 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They can shut you down for looking at them in a funny way.  My favourite bar pays an unspecified amount to two smart young policemen who turn up in person to collect for a 'music licence' irrespective of the fact that there is no sound system on the premises.

Police do not issue business licences so how do they "shut you down" ?  

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Working as a freelance prostitute isn't illegal, as long as you don't solicit in public. Discos in Pattaya and Bangkok are full of girls or boys looking to hook up with a customer for the night. They're not breaking any law.

14 hours ago, LongTang said:

Its illegal mate, just not enforceable (or more accurately, some brown envelops are usually involved so the nightclubs won't get any surprise checkups..)

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If you're so sure, why are prostitutes seldom prosecuted, other than those who solicit publicly and promiscuously?

You quoted my answer yourself already.

Prostitution is formally illegal here but enforcement varies.

Obviously freelancers in nightclubs are less of a nuisance to authorities as well as proving they are 'working' is more difficult.

Yet stating it is completely legal as you did is just false.

If for example a freelancer will later have a dispute with her customer and authorities will be called in, She might be in trouble for offering her services in the nightclub.

KaoJaiMai?

You quoted my answer yourself already.
Prostitution is formally illegal here but enforcement varies.
Obviously freelancers in nightclubs are less of a nuisance to authorities as well as proving they are 'working' is more difficult.
Yet stating it is completely legal as you did is just false.

If for example a freelancer will later have a dispute with her customer and authorities will be called in, She might be in trouble for offering her services in the nightclub.

KaoJaiMai?

Aspects of prostitution are illegal in Thailand but the act of paying for sex with someone is not, nor is the act of receiving money for sex. The legislation is covered under a number of different laws and there are subtle distinctions in what is illegal and what isn't. It's far too simplistic to just state it's illegal. Prostitution has been ingrained in Thai culture for centuries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Police do not issue business licences so how do they "shut you down" ?  

The police invented darts licences which the town hall never knew existed.  Police shut you down by just saying you're shut.  If you open, they arrest you on a trumped up charge.

Archived