Thailand’s prostitution laws out of step with reality

snoop1130

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If prostitution was legalized in Thailand, how would the BIB augment their salaries?

Totally agree.  I have been a regular punter down soi 6 Pattaya and observed first hand the police working the soi with no attempt at subterfuge; cracking down on some bars if the protection money was slow in coming.

In Hong Kong, it is legal and is rarely news.  In petty corners of Thailand, it is talked about far too much.  It happens in many parts in Asia and is no big deal.  Why does basket case Thailand always seem to find troubles where other countries do not ?   It use to be such a great country.

12 hours ago, dcnx said:

The fact that so many officials deny it exists here tells you everything you need to know about this place. 

Thailand is the world’s largest brothel. There’s no hiding it. Everyone in the world knows it.

Did it all start with the Vietnam war, Pattaya was an R&R destination?

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

they say it's one of the oldest (paid) jobs in the world, let them be, thanks to them many couples still together

the government obviously not the only one with views that are out of touch with reality. 

12 hours ago, dcnx said:

The fact that so many officials deny it exists here tells you everything you need to know about this place. 

Thailand is the world’s largest brothel. There’s no hiding it. Everyone in the world knows it.

Where did you get the stupid idea Thailand is the world's largest brothel?

I dare to say there are many countries in the world where prostitution is auch bigger thing.

3 minutes ago, Clutch said:

I hope they keep it illegal, it gives me that extra thrill when I'm on the job. It's that looking over my shoulder kinda thing. 

You sure you're not looking over your shoulder for your missus bud? ????

13 hours ago, Mavideol said:

matter of interpretation 555

It’s a business transaction.

Of course players part with funds and the jobnof the worker is to take that money and negotiate for as much as they can.

the nature of the business at hand.

Sometimes it can be pleasurable for the ladies and men who choose to work in this age old profession but make no fantasies about it is a job for profit.

I would like to see a reputable business school (is there one?) do a study regarding the economic impact on Isaan region from prostitution. I would imagine it would be far greater than any (all?) government and NGO programs put together...

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If prostitution was legalized in Thailand, how would the BIB augment their salaries?

While working ;:cheesy:
for example, going to the countryside to verbalize the millions of drivers of two motorized wheels who do not have a permit or PoLoBo for that matter;
verbalize the four little sluts who are without a helmet and without a driving license on their moped ...

If I was a cop in this country, I would make gold balls

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Did it all start with the Vietnam war, Pattaya was an R&R destination?

That is just a myth, Pattaya did become a haven for GI's during WW2 and set the course for what it is today. However prostitution has been around for 1000s of years on every corner of the earth including Thailand! Thailand would like to blame prostitution on us westerners, the reality is we make up about 10% of the customer base! 

26 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

It’s a business transaction.

Of course players part with funds and the job of the worker is to take that money and negotiate for as much as they can.

This is why I have never understood how any government can legislate what women and men (Boys town) do with their bodies.  

As long as a woman or man is considered an adult, I do not see how a government can make laws on how they make a living.  Laws are made to protect general safety and protect against abuses of citizens rights.

Just like a plumber, chef, maid - a working girl or boy has a right to offer a service and people have a right to engage those services -  end of story. 

In a country that fails to provide or enforce the payment of child support to abandoned mothers it's little wonder that the black economy includes millions of women, forced by economic necessity, into prostitution. Through it's complete failure to protect women and children, the Government is, in effect, contributing to the growth of sex trafficking in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

cracking down on some bars if the protection money was slow in coming.

THey should form a union - if those are allowed in LOS. 

Protection money for what?    

You have a licence or permit to run a bar, pay taxes, employ people of legal age. 

What are the police going to shut you down for? 

13 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Another word to add to "Don't Thai to me" in the dictionary:

Thai's in denial: "Thenial"

A business idea for you. you should write this dictionary and publish it for all new falangs. I would buy a copy

4 minutes ago, simtemple said:

forced by economic necessity, into prostitution. Through it's complete failure to protect women and children, the Government is, in effect, contributing to the growth of sex trafficking in Thailand. 

Disagree.  Women have a choice whether to become pregnant.  Women have a choice of how to make money to support their livelihood.  Government should not use taxpayers money to support those who make bad choices.  I do not think anyone is "forced" into prostitution, or sex trafficking whatever words you prefer.

Government should stay out of it , 

PJAccetturo_Pattaya-2.jpg

Hey, I know her!  Her name is Noi.  :biggrin:

This pic is very misleading.  In most countries yes, prostitution is mostly about dark streets, hiding in shadows etc, even in neighboring in Malaysia.

In Thailand it looks like this

image.jpeg.c1e74ac36a41a18708d76c4ab3eed0ff.jpeg

Nothing dark and hidden here, you handsome man!

Archived