Thailand’s prostitution laws out of step with reality

snoop1130

59 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Where did you read that? Not WW II, it was the Vietnam war. When WW II happened, Pattaya was just a little fishermen village and GI's came here for recreation.

America had been in Laos even before the Vietnam war and many airports, Ubon Ratchatani, U-Tapao are just two of them, including some bridges, for example the "Friendship Bridges" in Mukdahan and Nong Khai, etc were built by America. I've met some women who've worked for the Americans in certain areas.

?Pattaya was a fishing village until Nick Ahnat Wuethrich arrived there and open all the gogo bars in Walking street with Wäespi. Then, during the Vietnam War, American servicemen stationed at nearby U-Tapao or other US bases in Thailand began visiting Pattaya. One story, unverified by a reliable source, notes that it all started when a group of 500 American soldiers stationed at the military base in Korat were driven to Pattaya on 29 June 1959 for a week of rest and relaxation. They rented several houses at the south end of the beach from a prominent Thai, Lord Sunthorn. Despite their short stay, the soldiers had a great time and raved about the place. The word spread among other American soldiers stationed in the region and Pattaya quickly became a hot alternative to Bangkok.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya

You are quite right, I was drinking my coffee this morning and had a brain freeze I was thinking Vietnam War WW2 came out ????

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hold on a second there Mate, there are laws in Thailand that prohibit Prostitution??? Wow, that is shocking news and the jails here must be severely overcrowded with ladies/ladyboys/homosexuals who have been caught. Well I am certainly glad that there are such laws in place, yeah right when Pigs fly.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, dcnx said:

The fact that so many officials deny it exists here tells you everything you need to know about this place. 

Thailand is the world’s largest brothel. There’s no hiding it. Everyone in the world knows it.

ever been to the Philippines ?

2 hours ago, rwill said:

I have no problem with women that want to work in the sex industry as long as it is of their own free will and are able to leave anytime they choose.  There still do exist women that are forced/sold into it and are basically slaves.

and not just in Thailand 

Just say i m going to Thailand and you will only hear :

you are going to <deleted>.

President of keniya said befor 6 Month who want sex he must go to Thailand

I have Thai girlfriend i live in easarn seit 10 years i feel i m Thai easarn and if i m in Thailand i m here because of the nice weather nice food nice peoples nice temple and 

NICE EASARN SONG and because i have a thai girlfriend.

Prostitution is a normal job in Germany. Just go to Hamburg.

And you will hear are you going to vist the wall of Berlin ..No i m going to <deleted> girls in Hamburg after in Amsterdam

2 hours ago, pookondee said:

Yes and the reason they deny it is pretty obvious.

Provide no welfare, dont look after their own in any way. 

Of course they dont want to acknowledge that they themselves more or less force the unfortunate/uneducated into prostitution to survive.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Bogus comment.

Many people get by on the minimum wage.

Also, they basically get free health care which is a huge ( looking after their own) as opposed to the wonderful land of opportunities the great USA.

The Bogus comment is yours bkk6060, No one 'get by' on minimum wage, they simply sacrifice many life aspects to survive which eventually cripples their and theirs children ability to advance in life.

And regarding the free healthcare, There is a huge difference between the public hospitals and the private ones.

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Disagree.  Women have a choice whether to become pregnant.  Women have a choice of how to make money to support their livelihood.  Government should not use taxpayers money to support those who make bad choices.  I do not think anyone is "forced" into prostitution, or sex trafficking whatever words you prefer.

Government should stay out of it , 

You’re trying to be funny right? You’re not succeeding.

Yes the Thai's lose millions of baht in tax to this flesh black market. They should legalize it, register them, give them a license, monthly free medical check ups, put them in zones away from places like beach road in Pattaya. Fix the prices. Create a department to have drop in centers for complains and support. Yingluck did try to create this but she made the mistake of asking them if they wanted to do it, instead of telling them they are going to do it. Of course they said no because they would have to pay tax. They need to make it law and make millions lol but they don't have the creativity or imagination or will to implement such a scheme.

59 minutes ago, GreenerGrass said:

You are quite right, I was drinking my coffee this morning and had a brain freeze I was thinking Vietnam War WW2 came out ????

I've met an ex soldier who's stationed in Vietnam and was sent to Pattaya for "recreational purposes". His mouth was constantly open when he looked around how "his Pattaya had changed and developed.

We had a very interesting chat and he'd also told me that he told all his friends about the pus_y paradise who also came to see this place which was full of drugs, at this time heroin, and the Vietcong's even made it happen that heroin was easily available at each place in Pattaya during war times in Vietnam. 

There are various old stories about this place where plenty of people ( not only GI's) died overdosed in only one week. The death toll was really crazy, but of course did all these people die of a natural death.

The same shi_e still happens in the north of Thailand in Pai, the cooling chambers of the local hospital are often filled with dead foreigner's bodies, but none of them had an overdose. Insanity at its finest! 

You can't die of something that doesn't exist on paper, can you? It's a shame that their loss of face is more important than warning such people of the purity of that white powder. 

Once there's a shortage of girls, plenty of Bangkok girls came to Pattaya, then Europeans started to holiday in Pattaya and the amount of prosti_ues were skyrocketing.

But wait a minute, there are no prostitutes in Thailand. All the girls I had sex with in Thailand only wanted to have some money, gold, etc. and let me pay for all because I'm so handsome. 

What do you call a woman who has sex with a male for money? These people are insane. 

11 hours ago, Small Joke said:

"You go Wi-mill?

Toomollow I go with you, naka?

Khawp khun kaaa, tip for she also, OK?"

My Thai was coming along great, now where am I going to get my tones pitch perfect?

Try squeezing your balls in different spots. Monitor the results and learn from that.

Den

27 minutes ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Yes the Thai's lose millions of baht in tax to this flesh black market. They should legalize it, register them, give them a license, monthly free medical check ups, put them in zones away from places like beach road in Pattaya. Fix the prices. Create a department to have drop in centers for complains and support. Yingluck did try to create this but she made the mistake of asking them if they wanted to do it, instead of telling them they are going to do it. Of course they said no because they would have to pay tax. They need to make it law and make millions lol but they don't have the creativity or imagination or will to implement such a scheme.

Being in the educational system for almost 15 years, I can tell you that it all goes back to the poor education that hasn't changed in the least 17 years. 

Even with high tech, online resources, Youtube, and a lot more, it's still as it was before. 

And Yingluck went through the same copy all process, called the school. 

You can't blame the students for poor results, and it's the system that suc_s. 

IMO, it has gotten much worse. A country that spends most on their educational system where nobody's interested in the kids' learning process. It's all window dressing.

How can a teacher lose face, and why are the kids not allowed to ask any questions?

Because they might not know the answer can't be a valid reason. They could say: "wait, I look it up and tell you in a minute." 

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be light at the end of the tunnel. 

17 hours ago, dcnx said:

The fact that so many officials deny it exists here tells you everything you need to know about this place. 

Thailand is the world’s largest brothel. There’s no hiding it. Everyone in the world knows it.

Thailand isn't the world's largest brothel. Shows your ignorance. The largest Brothel is in Germany. India has vastly more prostitutes than Thailand as you would expect given the difference in population size.

The idea that somehow Thailand is the largest is a myth perpetuated by bar stool bridgers and sexpats.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Thailand isn't the world's largest brothel. Shows your ignorance. The largest Brothel is in Germany. India has vastly more prostitutes than Thailand as you would expect given the difference in population size.

The idea that somehow Thailand is the largest is a myth perpetuated by bar stool bridgers and sexpats.

The largest Brothel is in Germany.

Where did you get that fable from ?

If you believe that every German city has something similar to the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, you don't know much about Germany. 

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Being in the educational system for almost 15 years, I can tell you that it all goes back to the poor education that hasn't changed in the least 17 years. 

Even with high tech, online resources, Youtube, and a lot more, it's still as it was before. 

And Yingluck went through the same copy all process, called the school. 

You can't blame the students for poor results, and it's the system that suc_s. 

IMO, it has gotten much worse. A country that spends most on their educational system where nobody's interested in the kids' learning process. It's all window dressing.

How can a teacher lose face, and why are the kids not allowed to ask any questions?

Because they might not know the answer can't be a valid reason. They could say: "wait, I look it up and tell you in a minute." 

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be light at the end of the tunnel. 

Don't disagree with you. But some of the foreign teachers here leave a lot to be desired too. Some are professional good teachers but others perverts, drunks, and teaching subjects they aren't always qualified to teach in addition to their qualified one. Many wouldn't last long teaching in their home countries with their behavioral issues that get overlooked here due to the difficulty in recruiting good foreign teachers.

The whole bag needs a big shake up.

Prostitution is frowned on, and treated with a Victorian attitude. It's o k but mustn't be talked about or seen to happen. That is a social and cultural issue not an education one. 

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The largest Brothel is in Germany.

Where did you get that fable from ?

If you believe that every German city has something similar to the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, you don't know much about Germany. 

I lived and worked in Germany, fluent in German, and have many good close German friends.

Unlike you, I don't post based on ignorance. Ever heard of Google? Try researching Pascha Cologne. 

The Reeperbahn, like Amsterdam's Red light district, Nana etc are areas. Pascha is a 12 floor brother.

Germany is one of the countries that takes an intelligent view and legalizes prostitution. 

No such thing in Thailand, it's a family place.  There are NO Russian mafia, NO biker Ganges, NO smog in CM, Roads are the safest in the world, and immigration that is fare and equitable.  C'mon.... 

4 hours ago, simtemple said:

In a country that fails to provide or enforce the payment of child support to abandoned mothers it's little wonder that the black economy includes millions of women, forced by economic necessity, into prostitution. Through it's complete failure to protect women and children, the Government is, in effect, contributing to the growth of sex trafficking in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Disagree.  Women have a choice whether to become pregnant.  Women have a choice of how to make money to support their livelihood.  Government should not use taxpayers money to support those who make bad choices.  I do not think anyone is "forced" into prostitution, or sex trafficking whatever words you prefer.

Government should stay out of it , 

The reality is that you are Both Right.

Regimes that concentrate wealth in a very uneven manner will inevitably make women look for alternative methods to feed their families.

Women should have a free choice to select the way by which they provide for their families and the government should stay out of it.

The worse thing that can happened now is if prostitution will be forced underground, while wealth distribution remain the same (as it does).

The end result will be even more poverty and misery.

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's a very strange dynamic Thai people have with the whole concept of prostitution.

The first time I went to Pattaya with my wife and son, who was at the time around 10 I think, I was horrified.

We'd just moved from Singapore, where it's about as sanitized as it gets, pretty much confined to the 'four floors of <deleted>' on Orchard Rd.

Now my wife is interesting. She grew up as a teenager in the US, then moved to Singapore after college, before we eventually moved to Thailand.

She just rolled her eyes at my horror, with the rather astute comment that; these girls have to earn a living to support their families, probably a few kids from deadbeat Dads. What do you want them doing? Chopping sugar corn for ฿200/day? They can make that in 20 mins and they are putting food in the kids mouths.

Don't say I agree with it, but there is logic to it

Your wife is a smart woman. You can now say " of course she is, because she picked me".

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

While working ;:cheesy:
for example, going to the countryside to verbalize the millions of drivers of two motorized wheels who do not have a permit or PoLoBo for that matter;
verbalize the four little sluts who are without a helmet and without a driving license on their moped ...

If I was a cop in this country, I would make gold balls

Not disagreeing with you; however, the current system rewards for no effort.

I could make at least 5,000 baht a day as a policeman camped at a traffic light near my condo. What a pity I can't get a work permit.

6 hours ago, legend49 said:

Did it all start with the Vietnam war, Pattaya was an R&R destination?

Yeah, 19 year old Americans on R&R started mia noy, gik traditions.  Thailand is both open and closed about sex.  I find Thai openness about sex rather healthy, but in the government controlled media portrays it as wrong and tries to close it.   Safe sex should be taught and encouraged, as far too many people are still catching STD's in Thailand.   Use to love eating at Cabbage and Condoms, as they attack a problem and did not resort to social stigmatization.       

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

they say it's one of the oldest (paid) jobs in the world, let them be, thanks to them many couples still together

If all prostitution stopped, rapes would increase drastically, think about it.

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's a very strange dynamic Thai people have with the whole concept of prostitution.

The first time I went to Pattaya with my wife and son, who was at the time around 10 I think, I was horrified.

I find it strange for somebody to be horrified. It's the world's oldest profession. Business as usual. Or maybe it was the blatant "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" decorations in June that got you? There I can sympathize.

Prostitution should be made legal, in all countries of the world. As long as we are talking about sex between consenting adults, no harm done. In countries where sex is readily available, one would have to assume the crime rate is lower, and the sanity level is higher, than in countries like the US, where sex is pushed far underground. False puritanism is highly unappealing and does nothing for society. 

Archived