Farmers to be trained on using dangerous chemicals

snoop1130

By The Nation

eed685044cdf9004ad0f3c309f184622.jpeg

File photo

MORE THAN 6,000 people fell ill last year due to their exposure to weed killers, with almost half as many again suffering the results of pesticide use, the Public Health Ministry said.

Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of the ministry’s Department of Disease Control, said yesterday that 6,079 were admitted to hospital due to use of all kinds of herbicides, while 2,956 had fallen ill from the use of pesticides. 

He added that ailments caused by pesticides and herbicides are acute, and sometimes develop into chronic conditions. 

Farmers who use chemicals may suffer from immediate symptoms such as dizziness, vomiting, headache, muscular contraction and shortness of breath, or develop long-term health problems such as cancer, diabetes, paralysis and skin diseases.

Under new regulations, users of agrochemicals paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyrifos will have to undergo training organised by the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry.

When the new rule goes into effect on October 20, all registered farmers across the country will have to undergo training in order to be eligible to purchase or possess those chemicals. 

Bt98 million sought for training

The ministry’s permanent secretary Anan Suwannarat said a Bt98-million budget has been requested from the Budget Bureau for the training. 

Each farming family will only be allowed to obtain one permit for the use of the three dangerous chemicals, he said. 

Those who violate the new regulation will be fined, imprisoned or both. 

Farmers interested in attending the training can apply to the Department of Agricultural Extension, through elearning.doae.go.th. 

The first test for applicants is scheduled for July 1.

Applications to purchase the three farm chemicals can be submitted via chem.doae.go.th or through the Farmbook app. 

Despite a major controversy over the safety of the three agrochemicals, the Hazardous Substance Committee recently stuck by its previous decision to not ban them, allowing their use for another two years. 

However, the Thailand Pesticide Alert Network yesterday again called on both the Public Health and Agriculture and Cooperatives ministries to completely ban their use as soon as possible.

The group’s coordinator Prokchon Usap said recent tests on vegetables and fruits in Thailand found residues of chemicals that are prohibited from import or should have been banned a long time ago. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30371827

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-27

NGOs have been trying to educate the farmers and give them alternatives  here for as long as I’ve been here. It doesn’t work. Very few welcome change here of any kind.

Thailand is a lost cause when it comes to health and safety.

Govt figures suggest 40% of the Thai population engage in farming. Thats an awful big class to be educated. And what if you happen live on the border of a big plantation driving its massive spraying equipment up and down next to your home. Are you supposed to be wearing masks while you hang out your laundry or play with your kids?

39 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Maybe no farmer training would be needed if the pesticide companies were stopped from selling banned chemicals?

Spot on, 100%. Take away the root cause then the farmers have to comply.

Even those "organic" Japanese cucumbers are laced

with pesticides. I eat organic vegetables daily and 

couldn't understand what caused such pain on my knees.

After two weeks of elimination diet I found out what the cause was.

Image result for japanese cucumber

Disgraceful practices.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

When the new rule goes into effect on October 20, all registered farmers across the country will have to undergo training in order to be eligible to purchase or possess those chemicals.

That probably takes care of 000000.2% of the farmers here then.

The rest just keep on doing what they do.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I'm sorry to use that 'laughing' emoji for such a serious life-threatening subject, but I just can't think of a better initial response.

I'll just switch to cynical mode straight away:

Yeah, and apparently over 30% of drivers don't have a licence.

Yeah, and a supplier found guilty of selling to an unlicensed buyer will be fined what, 500 Baht?

Yeah, and the department who will rigorously enforce the law to monitor those spraying will probably be.....the police?

(I put enforce the law in italics, as when I tried to translate it into Thai, it threw up an error.)

A little late for this, by now they have learned to use them without limits and they will not change!
Who are the genes that are able to offer organic products?
We have now totally poisoned the world and organic cultivation is impossible!

38 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

Disgraceful practices.

I can remember reading in TVN a year or so ago that "non organic" food producers could buy "organic" certification under the counter from the authorising office for a very reason able price. And then advertise the produce accordingly while upping the price. Would anybody doubt this could happen in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I can remember reading in TVN a year or so ago that "non organic" food producers could buy "organic" certification under the counter from the authorising office for a very reason able price. And then advertise the produce accordingly while upping the price. Would anybody doubt this could happen in Thailand?

Yes, I remember reading that same article too.

Thailand - the land of irresponsibility.

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

Full speed ahead nothing like swift action the rest of the world watch and learn farmer genocide with a Thai Titmarsh????

Definitely.

Thinking about it, surely this article has been mis-posted as 'news'? It should be in the sub-forum: Worst Joke Ever 2019

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Under new regulations, users of agrochemicals paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyrifos will have to undergo training organised by the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry.

Instead of banning such poisons!!

3 hours ago, doremifasol said:

Disgraceful practices.

sounds like GOUT

but do you also drink milk ?  drink alcohol ?  take medication ?

could be lectins , oxalates ...

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

How about if the farmers stop burning everything in sight! They burn big, they burn often, and they burn plastics and anything else around. 

Will bt98 mil educate anyone? Probably not but the elite can party on...

The new law mandates training and licensing, but will there be government oversight in the fields to monitor farmers' adherence to the terms of the license? Not likely. Does anyone really think issuing paper certificates will stop the overuse and misapplication of chemicals? Money trumps everything in Thailand; spray on.

Archived