13 students injured in minivan/pickup collision in Chachoengsao

snoop1130

13 students injured in minivan/pickup collision in Chachoengsao

By The Thaiger

1561619699603.jpg

VIDEO: teenee8rews

13 students in a minivan have sustained injuries after a pickup truck, running through a red light, collided with their van in Chachoengsao, east of Bangkok.

Chachoengsao Police were notified of the incident at the Nakoo Intersection, central Chachoengsao.

Police and emergency responders arrived to find a damaged pickup truck and the minivan. Passersby helped to right the overturned minivan before police arrived.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/13-students-injured-in-minivan-pickup-collision-in-chachoengsao-video

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-06-27

Several comments. 

1. The Van driver might have waited just a few seconds more, being Thai he should have known that to some Thai drivers, red lights are either a suggestion or a street decoration.

2. As to the sturdy volunteers turning the van back onto its wheels, with 13 students and a driver in there, who knows what damage was done over and above the initial injuries. Well intentioned maybe, but not really a good idea.

3. At least the truck driver didn't flee the scene, probably because his vehicle was badly damaged.

I hope all the students make a quick recovery in time for a photo op, a wai from the truck driver and a payment of B1000 to each kid.

8 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

No way the Minibus should have attempted to make the turn at that point in time when he could see the fast oncoming traffic.  One problem of many here is they can't seem to judge speed and distance.

There is no spatial awareness.

Agree spatial awareness is rampant failing in Thai life. Even in the supermarket they tramp over you to get to a shelf. Ever noticed when you are stopped at traffic light, it turns green how SLOW Thais are to move off? But given a red light they drive like Hamilton on the racetrack to get through. I wonder if we made red light go and green light stop what would happen?

56 minutes ago, legend49 said:

it turns green how SLOW Thais are to move off?

This is the reflection I make systematically;
it looks like they drive a 38 ton load

After watching the video; the driver of the minibus is at fault;
he must wait until all the vehicles that have a red light actually stop;
it must be customary to see his idiotic maneuver.

He is the only driver to start; the others, who have the green light, wisely wait for the other drivers to stop.

There is also the main point that the minibus should not have been in the road position he was in. Turning right at the junction from the straight ahead lane.

If it's done to me I usually take as wide a turn as possible causing them to end up having to push someone else behind me out of the way.

Me first no me first, six of one and half a dozen of the other..... having said this once again the Thai authorities should shoulder some blame as they did stipulate that going against the natural flow of traffic (Wrong way along a one way street) or going through a Red Light is a minor offense....!!!

56 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

He is the only driver to start; the others, who have the green light, wisely wait for the other drivers to stop.

Hope you dont have a driving license, or just a strange sense of humor.

If the rule is that you have to wait for all traffic to stop, why would traffic stop in the first place?

They have right of passage as long as they keep moving according to you, so its best to collectively keep going.

What does a red traffic light mean in your book?

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

Additionally minivan was making the turn from the well used illegal second turn lane to get around the truck and not have to wait in the long turning lane like everybody else. So he needed to turn quickly to get in front of the turning truck. Both drivers at fault but minivan more so.

8 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

Minivan turned when green filter light was on.

Pick up jumped red light.

Pick up to blame 100%

In Europe or maybe in USA (  I never went there ) ; but we are in Thailand where red and green lights are often some decoration on the roads ..

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

In Europe or maybe in USA (  I never went there ) ; but we are in Thailand where red and green lights are often some decoration on the roads ..

Sure, can’t disagree with that. Apportioning blame and driving within the law is one thing, but driving sensibly to survive and allow for others mistakes is another.

My first thought when I spotted this article is the whereabouts of my best friend who lives in Chachoengsao.  I read all the time about the troubles drivers have on Thai roads.  I have read Thai motorcyclists are particularly regarded as having a death wish.  The fatalities during the recent Songkran Festival would have triggered national headlines and congressional inquiries if they had happened in the states.

Minivan turned when green filter light was on.
Pick up jumped red light.
Pick up to blame 100%

Wrong, green light is not a good to go signal, as with all signalling proceed only when it is safe to do so.
Yes the pickup driver is 100% in the wrong, but not to blame, the blame lies on the minivan driver who is a total idiot and ass for proceeding in this obviously dangerous situation. This neanderthal should never be allowed to have children in his care again.

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wcoast said:

Wrong, green light is not a good to go signal, as with all signalling proceed only when it is safe to do so.
Yes the pickup driver is 100% in the wrong, but not to blame, the blame lies on the minivan driver who is a total idiot and ass for proceeding in this obviously dangerous situation. This neanderthal should never be allowed to have children in his care again.

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

If you’re saying that a green light is only advisory, I would have to respectfully disagree - it’s mandatory.  Do you also think that a red light is advisory?

1 hour ago, Mukdahanman said:

If you’re saying that a green light is only advisory, I would have to respectfully disagree - it’s mandatory.  Do you also think that a red light is advisory? The pick up obviously did.

I totally get what you’re saying though.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:54 AM, Bob12345 said:

Hope you dont have a driving license, or just a strange sense of humor.

If the rule is that you have to wait for all traffic to stop, why would traffic stop in the first place?

They have right of passage as long as they keep moving according to you, so its best to collectively keep going.

What does a red traffic light mean in your book?

Optional

Archived