Welcome to Thailand - and welcome to immigration queues!

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

no point in booking a taxi to take you to your hotel as you will not know what time you will get out of the airport

Ah, I see a cunning plan by AOT here, they can flog off their overpriced "limousines" by making the taxis wait so long they'll just bugger off.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japan requires the scanning of one finger from each hand but only on entry - never on exit.  Even so, my prints don't scan well and it always takes multiple times to get a scan.  I hope that the Thai authorities rethink the fingerprint scan.  They already take a photo.

The fingerprint machines are in place at departure passport control, but were not being used the day I left a week ago.

Everyone was being fingerprinted on entry when I returned yesterday. You could see how it was really slowing the usual long, long queues. Even a smart person like me took three goes to get the first print done - the instructions seemed unclear (as to exactly how far up or down the plate ones hand goes - pro tip: the hand goes higher up the plate than the instruction would seem to indicate).

Be warned the glass plate where (you put your hand) was disgustingly slimy with grime and filth - so it's straight washroom thereafter and hope they have soap. Clearly a significant health hazzard - could infect thousands if someone comes in with one of the serious flus, gastro infection, ebola, etc.

Anybody understand the need for each finger copy when other countries only take a couple, just curious

Yesterday was pretty rammed back to the ramp, not a pleasant experience for people coming off long flights

And yes take a hand wipe with you, absolutely disgusting the state of the readers already...........

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, law ling said:

The fingerprint machines are in place at departure passport control, but were not being used the day I left a week ago.

Everyone was being fingerprinted on entry when I returned yesterday. You could see how it was really slowing the usual long, long queues. Even a smart person like me took three goes to get the first print done - the instructions seemed unclear (as to exactly how far up or down the plate ones hand goes - pro tip: the hand goes higher up the plate than the instruction would seem to indicate).

Be warned the glass plate where (you put your hand) was disgustingly slimy with grime and filth - so it's straight washroom thereafter and hope they have soap. Clearly a significant health hazzard - could infect thousands if someone comes in with one of the serious flus, gastro infection, ebola, etc.

Even a smart person like me...

Please, can you explain the above? Does one need some extra special grey matter to understand the simple instructions posted beside the machines? Takes only a couple of seconds for both hands. Did it for the first time 2 days back. 

On 7/4/2019 at 9:07 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Does it delay departures does anyone know?

It takes a little longer with some people fumbling with the machine, but not enough to delay departures I would think. One thing I did notice is that on departure, if you have never been in the system, you need to do a complete left and right hand and left and right thumb scan. This evidently enters you into the system. However, upon re-entry to Thailand, only a quick left hand scan is needed. I suppose the system does a quick check and gives a pass or fail based on one hand having passed the match in the system. So, in other words, it appears that once in the system, perhaps it gets quicker.

2 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

Is already obsolete. Australia just has biometric facial scanners. Scan passport. Look at camera. Off you go.

Yes just did that. Brilliant, 45secs and off to get the bags. Best immigration experience I've ever had.

Archived