Grab driver hits Chinese teacher in the face with a golf club in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

Grab driver hits Chinese teacher in the face with a golf club in Bangkok

sanook1.jpg

Caption: Chinese teacher hit in the face

A Chinese teacher was whacked on the nose with a golf club as an argument with a Grab taxi driver turned violent in Pak Kret, Bangkok, yesterday. 

Two Chinese men - Yew, 30, a Chinese language teacher in Bangkok, and Lee 23 his friend - had called the white car using the Grab application. They were on their way to apply for a course at a Bangkok university. 

Pak Kret police arrived in Soi Wat Salak Neua where they found Yew with an injury to his nose. 

His friend Lee told officers in Thai: "When the car arrived Yew opened the front passenger door but was told very impolitely to sit in the back. The driver was fierce.

"There was then a disagreement about where to place a water bottle and a bad atmosphere developed".

He said that Yew spoke some Thai and the driver reacted angrily saying: "Why are you speaking so loudly?".

The driver then aborted the journey and told them to get out of the car. 

As Yew did he slammed the door which enraged the Grab driver who went and got a golf club out of the boot of the car and hit him. 

Only the intervention of a military man nearby succeeded in calming the situation. 

The Chinese formally pressed charges at the Pak Kret police station after this. 

Sanook said police know the identity of the driver and are now looking for him.

Thaivisa notes that the incident will come as a blow to people who believe that many Bangkok taxi drivers are sinners and that Grab drivers are mostly saints. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-28

Grab fires driver over alleged passenger assault

By The Nation

Grab Thailand announced Friday it had fired one of its drivers who allegedly assaulted a Chinese passenger on a roadside in Nonthaburi the day before.

Grab said it had received a complaint against the driver and terminated his contract.

The company apologised for the incident and said the driver’s alleged behaviour was unacceptable and violated its rules.

Grab said it gives priority to passenger safety and carries insurance for them, which will cover the medical costs for the passenger allegedly injured in this case.

Chinese nationals Su Sihanh, 30, and Li Mengkui, 23, told police the driver had dumped them at kerbside in Nonthaburi’s Pak Kret district and then left his vehicle to punch Su in the face.

A passing military officer witnessed the incident and summoned police to the scene.

The driver and passengers had allegedly rowed, first over one man’s attempt to sit in the front seat and then over the disposition of a water bottle.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371909

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-28

The behavior of drivers is always going to be the same since they come from the same stock. Its the response by GRAB that sets the service apart from DLT though. Rather than a piddling fine and 3 hours of a re-education video, the driver gets fired immediately and all medical expenses of the victim covered by grab.

I must say my experiences of Grab drivers have all been positive, compared to 50% of taxi drivers who drive unsafely and/or try to cheat me when travelling in their generally old, dirty vehicles, if they ever agree to take me where I want to go/use the meter.

None of these problems and good accountability with Grab, long May they prosper.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thaivisa notes that the incident will come as a blow to people who believe that many Bangkok taxi drivers are sinners and that Grab drivers are mostly saints. 

No blow... it seems ThaiVisa doesn't understand that one news report will not alter opinions of those who have real experience. 

An awful lot of Taxi drivers in Thailand are scam artists who drive poorly are impolite, keep poorly maintained vehicles, over charge, refuse the meter, refuse the fare outright and soil the reputation of the Taxi drivers on the whole ruining it for those who are honest and decent. 

Grab offers mutual accountability and with it the tools for recompense should there be issues with either the passenger or the driver - this is a perfect example of how Grab is better as a model - If this was a regular taxi driver he could have driven off never to face charges for his assault. As it happens, because of the app he is known and will soon be appended. 

It is because of these Apps like Grab that taking a Taxi in Bangkok becomes safer for all concerned. 

18 minutes ago, justin case said:

istn't grab supposed to know its drivers, so easy to remove him ?

It is - update from page one (which you may have missed). 

Grab has terminated the drivers contract. 

Grab is also insured and pays for the passengers injuries. 

Hopefully the Police charges the driver with assault with a weapon, instead of the usual 500 baht fine and a Wai. 

Now... I wonder what the response would have been had this been an issue with a regular taxi driver, if they even found him. Taxi company apologizing? Never !!! Taxi company paying for the medical costs of the injured passenger? Never !!!... regular taxi's are supposed to have insurance but never have (not the ones I know of anyway and not the one which crashed into me !)

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Grab fires driver over alleged passenger assault

By The Nation

Grab Thailand announced Friday it had fired one of its drivers who allegedly assaulted a Chinese passenger on a roadside in Nonthaburi the day before.

Grab said it had received a complaint against the driver and terminated his contract.

The company apologised for the incident and said the driver’s alleged behaviour was unacceptable and violated its rules.

Grab said it gives priority to passenger safety and carries insurance for them, which will cover the medical costs for the passenger allegedly injured in this case.

Chinese nationals Su Sihanh, 30, and Li Mengkui, 23, told police the driver had dumped them at kerbside in Nonthaburi’s Pak Kret district and then left his vehicle to punch Su in the face.

A passing military officer witnessed the incident and summoned police to the scene.

The driver and passengers had allegedly rowed, first over one man’s attempt to sit in the front seat and then over the disposition of a water bottle.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371909

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-28

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Dear, oh dear, what was the water bottle up to such that its disposition upset the driver?

The correct word is 'disposal'.

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Not a blow to me... the driver is still Thai with the same mentality.

I believe this is first incident of its kind in Thailand, no need to attack all

grab drivers , though I must admit I have often felt wanting to smack them in the head .

if you think thailand is bad. Try Jakarta , morons there not only do not speak English but refuse to use their phones or follow grab map for directions 

Archived