Big Oud's rogues' gallery: Five Thais fined for not reporting whereabouts of foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

So if a foreigner stays at his Thai girlfriend's place (or his Thai wife's place--which he probably bought for her), she has to report his arrival within 24 hours?

Yes. Or risk a fine. Dont worry about it though. Many dont.

1 minute ago, Bert got kinky said:

The TM30 is the expats thing when he comes from abroad. Has nothing to do with the landlord

Wrong, it is all about the landlord.

When I came back last time from Vietnam, I had to go to the Immigration Office to say "here I am again", my wife, the landlord, had to do nothing. 

How can the landlord, especially if it´s a huge apartment complex, check who is coming and leaving to make the reports? Or the owner of the house is living in another city? They have to give the name of the renter once in the beginning to the Immigration Office, but not every time when the renter made a trip abroad. So far I know. But it would be unlogic if they have to do because they can´t know what the renter does.

6 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

But it would be unlogic if they have to do because they can´t know what the renter does.

TiT.

Legal responsibility for the TM30 falls to the landlord. The fact it can potentially screw up the alien (including some being fined) comes down to ... TiT.

Xenophobia alive and well.  Sheer lunacy from the deadliest roads, idiotic drivers, immigration that makes up crap as they go along, to CM 4+ months of toxic smog...yeah, we love this country so much we pay to tolerate this crap.   Remember: there is always a price to pay, you just have to choose how you're gonna pay...Welcome to the land of ME, and don't forget your 90 day report in to mom...

15 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

When I came back last time from Vietnam, I had to go to the Immigration Office to say "here I am again", my wife, the landlord, had to do nothing. 

How can the landlord, especially if it´s a huge apartment complex, check who is coming and leaving to make the reports? Or the owner of the house is living in another city? They have to give the name of the renter once in the beginning to the Immigration Office, but not every time when the renter made a trip abroad. So far I know. But it would be unlogic if they have to do because they can´t know what the renter does.

And that is exactly the problem in a nutshell.

The landlord/landlady is responsible, in this case they have been fined but in other cases the occupant has been fined.

There really is no logic to any of this.

There is no standard on when a new TM30 report should be made, it's up to the local Immigration department.

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

TiT.

Legal responsibility for the TM30 falls to the landlord. The fact it can potentially screw up the alien (including some being fined) comes down to ... TiT.

But why do I have to have the TM30 document in my passport?

Non news

That the people in charge of these cannot see these stories make them look pretty dim

That they clearly could be concentrating their efforts in a multitude of other ways with positive impact is saddening

There really is a childlike manner to the Thai middle management.........

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

And yet m taxi drivers can fire guns and innocent people get killed and the bash each other with clubs , nothing happens , but God forbid look out for landlords who fail to report a farang staying there to help with their monthly income ..

37 minutes ago, Salerno said:

You don't.

Are you perhaps thinking of the TM6?

Perhaps. ????  I am thinking at the paper I need to get during 24 hours when I come from abroad.  

Depends on your Immi office from what I've read; some want it some don't. 

If yours does, it's up to your landlord to do but if you really want to comply for peace of mind you could look into getting the details so you can do it online yourself or see if Chiang Mai accepts doing it by mail if you're not confident the landlord is doing the right thing (assuming you have one, and not own your accommodation?). 

3 hours ago, anterian said:

This is one of the most stupid rules ever, who has to report the farang if he goes camping. 

Oh I’m worried ???? now.

is camping banned or a reporting requirement? Did I miss a question on my TM30 about camping? Should I go to my immigration office immediately?

4 hours ago, anterian said:

This is one of the most stupid rules ever, who has to report the farang if he goes camping. 

right up there with needing a passport to mail a xmas card... but the apologists on this board would say it's necessary...

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Reminds me of a medieval which hunt :crying:

I don't like the stupid, ridiculous TM30 regulation.

But if Immigration is going to be fining people for non compliance, as they've regularly been doing in BKK lately to farang tenants when they go for extensions of stay, then at least they ought to also be fining the Thai landlords who really are the ones who ought to be responsible for the reporting.

26 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Oh I’m worried ???? now.

is camping banned or a reporting requirement? Did I miss a question on my TM30 about camping? Should I go to my immigration office immediately?

I think the procedure is you go into the woods, set up your tent, walk back to immigration office and report yourself together with the owner of the woods and walk back. Just make sure the procedure doesn't take longer than 24 hours or you will have to get the immigration boss to do the TM30 for you for staying at the office.

It's pure idiocy.

2 hours ago, kevvy said:

And yet m taxi drivers can fire guns and innocent people get killed and the bash each other with clubs , nothing happens , but God forbid look out for landlords who fail to report a farang staying there to help with their monthly income ..

It's all about distracting from the real issues... if you do a magic track it is the same idea... distract with one hand while the other does the deed...

8 minutes ago, tompelli said:

So not reporting foreigners to immigration gets 3 X the fine of a perv taxi driver, who also broke the sacred computer crimes act by publishing his photos on the taxi driver dark web? Talk about priorities.

Think it's only 1000 for banging one out whilst driving a cab.  :giggle:

This is what happens when the real crooks are too well connected and protected, a bunch of lightweight nobodies are paraded through the justice system as some sort of demonstration that Thai authorities are not to be messed with.

Archived