Big Oud's rogues' gallery: Five Thais fined for not reporting whereabouts of foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Not sure about "anti foreigner" but a hell of a lot of foreigners are certainly paranoid.

Some are paranoid, and some are apparently too blind to see the hammer that is heading towards their face..

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

TM6, TM28, TM30, did someone name all of Thai Immigration forms after Tony Montana?

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I think it stands for Thai Massage. The one where you get bruised badly.

I suspect it stands for 'Total Morons' which is exactly how they perceive  us after we come here to spend a lot of our hard worked money Only to be treated like dirty criminals and thrown out at old age.

"Hay Somchai ! Ask this Total Moron if he got his number 30 receipt. If not then squeez a 800bath out of him Na"

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Or haven't already sent them eviction notices.

Once done the first time it only takes a few minutes at the local police station. 

If I were a landlord I would not want this responsibility so would likely not rent to foreigners.

To report them when they rent from you is one thing...

But now are they also responsible for every time the foreigner leaves for more than 24 hours?

Do they again need to report their return? Or is it a one time deal?

Many landlords live no where near the rental property

All that aside how did the 5 pictured get caught out in the first place? What triggered it?

Did someone report them or did Imm see it? etc etc

15 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

hotels all over the world do it. 

Uh.... no, they don’t. Not unless you’re looking in communist countries, which Thailand is not. Yet.

4 hours ago, Salerno said:

Who are they going to get to pay the inflated rent?

Given the foreign landlords are, in the vast majority, breaking the law why would the target Thai's first?

Not sure about "anti foreigner" but a hell of a lot of foreigners are certainly paranoid.

- They will let them sit empty like many already do.

- Thais must own the majority of all condos in a building. 51% Thai ownership minimum. That’s the law for condo quotas. It makes sense to target Thais first, because they are the low hanging fruit here and know the least about the TM.30. 

- It’s not paranoia, it’s paying attention. Look at everything that happened with visas, immigration raids, useless paperwork, airports turning people away, embassy changes, TM.30 fines for Thai landlords, mandatory insurance (which is a good thing), and even the Elite visa is under fire for those with any overstay history. I’m sure I’m forgetting some things. It’s a full on assault, one thing after the other.

This all started when the military took over. That same military just won (cough) an election and is now legitimized. They are going to be here for a while and there is a LOT of noise tightening left to do still.

Unless you’re wealthy, working legally, or can pass whatever marriage hoops are set up for you to jump through, I wouldn’t get too comfortable here.

You don’t need to be Nostradamus to see how this plays out.  

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Unless you’re wealthy, working legally, or can pass whatever marriage hoops are set up for you to jump through, I wouldn’t get too comfortable here.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a foreigners given right to not comply with the laws of a country and just live there anyway.

Funny thing is, a hell of a lot of people bleating are the same ones that complain about their home country turning into a shithole because of all the immigrants :coffee1:

That said, yes, there is a lot of extremely stupid and draconian laws starting to actually be enforced but it is what it is.

I cannot fathom the logic behind this.  Trying to keep track of foreigners - - -

Just what is the problem with foreigners moving through the country?

The hotel reporting scheme reports AFTER the event.  What does that achieve?

Tourists come to Thailand to see this country.  I bet that - if most of them even knew about this stupid scheme they would not come.

Those of us who are retired here DO NOT present a threat to the country, unless we are criminals hiding or doing illegal business and crim checks for visa applications turns that up anyway

This hair-brained scheme - along with 90-day reporting does nothing but display the paranoid idiocy that exists among the morons who think they are "protecting" the country from some sort of dreamed-up threat.

Or is it just a red herring to fool their own peoples- - -

5 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

I cannot fathom the logic behind this.  Trying to keep track of foreigners - - -

Just what is the problem with foreigners moving through the country?

The hotel reporting scheme reports AFTER the event.  What does that achieve?

Tourists come to Thailand to see this country.  I bet that - if most of them even knew about this stupid scheme they would not come.

Those of us who are retired here DO NOT present a threat to the country, unless we are criminals hiding or doing illegal business and crim checks for visa applications turns that up anyway

This hair-brained scheme - along with 90-day reporting does nothing but display the paranoid idiocy that exists among the morons who think they are "protecting" the country from some sort of dreamed-up threat.

Or is it just a red herring to fool their own peoples- - -

It's because they love you and the rest of us. so mut. :bah:

12 hours ago, mania said:

If I were a landlord I would not want this responsibility so would likely not rent to foreigners.

So they have to stay in registered hotels not in Airbnb. I wonder who thought this up?:whistling:

On 6/29/2019 at 1:21 AM, mania said:

All that aside how did the 5 pictured get caught out in the first place? What triggered it?

Did someone report them or did Imm see it? etc etc

I wondered the same.

Knowing Thais, the pics could be staged to send a message.

Notably missing, for instance, is any Chinese-Thai looking hiso lady with Bouffant hairstyle dripping in gold and high fashion. 

Archived