Just Had A Call And Questioning From DBD

NightSky

I just had a call from a Thai women claiming to be from DBD. When I spoke English she hung up and another women called back minutes later.

They claimed to be updating the DBD business database, they asked me to confirm my company address, phone number and number of employees who work here.

Call me paranoid although in this environment I don't welcome unusual calls from gov offices asking questions out of the blue.

Has anyone else with a business had a call recently?   The telephone numbers both began with 061413.....

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

DBD?

Department of Business Development.. 

..they maintain company database and issue company registration certificates in Thailand.

www.dbd.go.th

Im wondering if the call was legitimate and if their questioning had an alternative motive other than to 'maintain the database'

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

image.png.04e2e32d42fe8fc193e551e60d822b2a.png

DBD Thailand.

https://www.dbd.go.th/dbdweb_en/

Maybe the above. Look at their site there is mention of updating regional / local records.

But phone number  ....61    strange.

61 is the country code for Australia.

OK I will take a look at the site about regional updates.

Phone number 061 is also for AIS, it might be an internal VOIP system they are using for their phones? (lower cost calls etc).

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

image.png.04e2e32d42fe8fc193e551e60d822b2a.png

DBD Thailand.

https://www.dbd.go.th/dbdweb_en/

Maybe the above. Look at their site there is mention of updating regional / local records.

But phone number  ....61    strange.

61 is the country code for Australia.

it's a mobile number, it's common for them to use personal mobile phones

I would ask them for a phone number where I can call them back and I would expect to get a land line number.

And if they give you a mobile number ask for a land line number.

And if they then start to mess around why they don't want to give the land line to you then it's time to get suspicious.

But to be fair, databases should be updated from time to time and lots of people don't react to emails. So phone calls make sense.

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Call them ?

I did and I was on hold for 20 minutes after pressing the 'English' option so I decided not to waste more time on it.

I hope it was just a routine call but I'm always cautious. I expect it would be a different government run office who would have called if there was an issue (labor/revenue/immigration/etc) although you never know!

• 3 weeks later...

After that case reported this morning about the Russian woman being arrested for using a Thai nominee shareholder in her company

they're probably just compiling a comprehensive database of non-trading companies with farang directors and no employees that own land. I'm sure their intentions are honourable and there's no way this is the next step in removing all those pesky, sweating farangs living here long-term who decided to buy a house via the company route using Thai nominee shareholders. They'd never do that, would they?

On 6/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, NightSky said:

Department of Business Development.. 

..they maintain company database and issue company registration certificates in Thailand.

www.dbd.go.th

Im wondering if the call was legitimate and if their questioning had an alternative motive other than to 'maintain the database'

why not say so, all of these abbreviations give me the hump, who the hell in a normal world would know what DBD means.

No need to be paranoid, unless you have formed an illegal company for property ownership.  They contacted us 2 years ago and carried out an audit on our family company.  We passed okay and they went away.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived