Eyeglasses, recommendations for quality lab to fill prescription

wcoast

I live up country so I'll likely have to source my prescription from Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Looking for an optometrist/lab that can grind my prescription to the letter. I'm aware that many labs have a wide tolerance which is unacceptable to me. I'm not looking to get my prescription within an 80% tolerance or what have you etc. Thanks for your considered replies.

Sent from my abacus using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wcoast said:

Please get a clue or better glasses, I'm not looking for some budget online crap.

wcoast you have that wrong me thinks.    BritManToo  actually gave you very  good information.    If you spend a few minutes to investigate  ZenniOptical.com you may be pleased with the results.

Or you can always visit your local optical  shop and pay 12 - 15,000 for the same thing.

Good luck.

If you want high precision manufacturing, you are not going to get it from a small local lab. The capital cost is too great for them to be set up for it.

You may find this interesting (Zeiss do not, I believe, sell lenses in Thailand, but the info is good)

https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/int/better-vision/understanding-vision/how-are-spectacle-lenses-manufactured.html

Essilor do operate in Thailand and I use their lenses myself. Tokyo Optic offer Essilor lenses:

https://www.essilor.co.th/en#7PHOmdSTSccAhj7b.97

The optometrist is as important as the manufacturer for two reasons.

1) Obviously, the lens cannot be better than the prescription. If the prescription is wrong, so is the lens.

2) For complex prescriptions, they should check that everything is right when they dispense them.

Remember that, for complex prescriptions, the frame is a part of the prescription, not just to make the lens the right size, but to centre it properly as well.

I am assuming that you need a complex prescription (with astigmatism or prism correction, very high index materials, wide difference in prescription for the two eyes, etc.) because for simple, average power reading glasses a bit of latitude in the tolerance hardly matters at all, although it should never be as wide as 80% or anything like it with any manufacturing technology.

Actually my prescription isn't very complex, I'm opting for bifocals as opposed to transition. I need distance and intermediate correction, my near sight is fine.[/img]20190629_121803.jpg

21 hours ago, wcoast said:

Please get a clue or better glasses, I'm not looking for some budget online crap.

I have used Zenni a few times and certainly dont regard them as "online budget crap" and there are others on this forum also favor Zenni.

It certainly doesnt warrant your "flame "on another member for his opinion/recommendation that you asked for.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:29 PM, wcoast said:

I've been using Zenni for four years now: Progressives, reading glasses, distance with sunglass coating and a mid-pair optimized to 10 feet, the distance to my TV. 

The progressives and sunglasses were premium lenses and frames.  The others were using Zenni's line of less expensive frames.  I have a very strong prescription and have yet to receive an improperly ground lens and the frames have held up very well, even the inexpensive ones. The reading pair and the TV pair don't get carried around so little stress there.

Do you really think that paying the extremely high Bangkok optical prices guarantees any special quality? News flash: there is virtually no government licensing or qualification standards in Thailand for optical technicians.  The guy who tests your eyes is not required even the most basic certification.

Your snarky reply is totally unjustified. IMHO, you're the clueless one.

• 3 weeks later...

An update...
So I ordered a pair of glasses from Zenni, and the results were not good. I had the prescription tested and also the UV protection tested as well as the photochromatic speed.
Since Zenni doesn't actually require or ask for the lense height the centering of my pupils on the lenses was 5mm too low, as well the pupilar distance was off by 2mm. These misalignments can be expected when a fitting using only a standard reference point is used. But that still doesn't make it adequate or acceptable. The cylinder prescription itself in one eye was off by .25 which was 50% of the actual .50 prescription.

But by far the most disturbing flaw was the UV protection level in the lenses which were photochromatic, and obviously for use outdoors, that protection level was 33 out of the target protection level of 100% UV protection. Considering I bought these photochromatic lenses with their offering of standard protection the UV protection quality is abysmal. Fortunately the clipons they sold did have 100% protection.
So that's my experience, having checked and calibrated the final product. Order at your own peril.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe look on Thai social media for a reputable optic shop. Ask a Thai friend for help. You seem to have very demanding criteria, and that's fine.

And maybe make a visit to the big city to get fitted properly, in person.

Hoya makes decent lenses, but the lens heights do need to be matched to the frames and your face in person ideally.

I use Nice Optic, in Bangkok, Siam Square Soi 1, for my daily wears. My progressive lenses were 7,000 baht this week going into existing frames.

Zenni seems ok for me; I have two pair of progressives and one pair of mono sun glasses (~ 1,500 baht a few weeks ago) from them. There are review aggregation sites out there with tens of thousands of reviews on Zenni. The majority of people seem highly satisfied with the product(s), quality, price, delivery and customer service. 

50 minutes ago, wcoast said:

I had the prescription tested and also the UV protection tested as well as the photochromatic speed.

This begs the question, where did you have the lenses tested? And why didn't you just use that facility to source lenses?

I live pretty much in the country, the nearest town is 20km away, the nearest city 40km. I was looking to source a quality business. Actually I have used the shop where I got the testing done previously, but it wasn't for my own prescription, and that prescription was simple. I have, since this Zenni experience ordered my prescription through them. I've talked with the owner who is knowledgeable and meticulous.
I gave Zenni a try, actually expecting the result I got, but kinda shocked about the UV result, it was to a piss poor standard that puts peoples eye health at serious risk. I'd never take it for granted that what I expected/ordered was what I'll receive, I will test the results to confirm, it's only prudent if you truly care about your health. Zenni probably only sees a miniscule amount of people test the end product, and I suspect those results are similar to my experience. They are not in the business of genuine quality, they are in the business of low price and volume sales. I'd only ever use them again for frames or sunglasses but never prescriptions.

Archived