Not much friendship shown when parking today

Peterhua

1 hour ago, Peterhua said:

Because the amount is not important but the principle of having to pay was. I repeat. I shopped there but avcordong to the rules, exeeded my 20 minute parking time given while not spwnding enough money. 

As you said, according to the rules you had to pay, so what's the issue? Many places in Thailand if you dont get the receipt stamped you pay for parking.  Happens in other places around the world too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Kim J said:

When they first introduced this system I had a similar experience myself. Having collected my ticket, visited the shop, then on the return to my motorbike the attendant took the ticket from me with a smile. I proceeded to my bike and started to drive away only to be stopped by a second attendant demanding a fine because I did not have a ticket, despite having several bags of shopping that I had just purchased. I told him in no uncertain terms to f*** off and drove away never to return to the place.

I can fully understand the need to control parking there, due to all the freeloaders that used to use it, but as ever it seems to have developed into the usual money raiser along with the usual dishonesty and scams.

Can you tell us how much the fine was?

6 hours ago, ericthai said:

As you said, according to the rules you had to pay, so what's the issue? Many places in Thailand if you dont get the receipt stamped you pay for parking.  Happens in other places around the world too.

even worse, in Switzerland shops make you pay even if you spend good money with them.

it's to "discourage the use of personal transport".

in a country where it rains most of the time... :facepalm:

stereotypes are what they are, but after living there for over 15 years, I can say Swiss-Germans are generally petty. thank Buddha there are exceptions to the rule!

I've no idea why the OP bothered to post the story but refused to state what the penalty was? It is relevant ... and if it turns out to be 20 Baht or below I'd be surprised if the Thais collecting would get much pleasure from seeing me pull out a 1,000 Baht note and ask if they had change?

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I've no idea why the OP bothered to post the story but refused to state what the penalty was? It is relevant ... and if it turns out to be 20 Baht or below I'd be surprised if the Thais collecting would get much pleasure from seeing me pull out a 1,000 Baht note and ask if they had change?

there probably was no penalty... more like a 20 baht per hour parking fee

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Oh dear, Pattaya just gets worse. Perhaps Chiang Mai is not so bad after all.

So you are going to compare and judge the entire city based on some guys failure of reading the back of a parking receipt??

Oh, dear......

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Can you tell us how much the fine was?

Probably the only way to find out at this stage in the thread is to repeat the experiment. Gather a couple of friends to sit on the wall outside, arrive, park, have a friendly chinwag for a bit... then go inside and spend exactly 133 baht. The fineable amount will be revealed on exiting the car park. 

20 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

I think if the OP actually did some shopping there and was then "fined" by overzelous, gloating car park attendants for either not spending enough or as i read it being 3 minutes over the alloted shopping time, then he has a point. Not that i use that shop very often, but i was unaware of a time/spending limit being in operation there.

As for the amount of fine, i would be very suprised if it was only 5 baht.

They are doing the job for which they are paid. Why should they jeopardise their employment because the customer didn't bother to check what was written on the ticket?

Not only did he argue with the parking attendants when they were completely in the right, but he has done the same with people asking perfectly legitimate questions.

He still has TOPS in Tukcom. He can ask his friends to meet him there.

If he had a problem with it, he could have gone back in and asked the manager/family member to waive the fee. They make the rules, not the parking attendants.

So arguing with the parking attendants, he was on a hiding to nothing.

Frustrated and angry for the sake of perhaps twenty baht. How sad. Worse, he will have to go out of his way to get the few items he may need from time to time.

"Don't cut off your nose to spite your face"...

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, Peterhua said:

what's the amount got to so with anything?

You're right but as it's a "heads up" how about letting us know which supermarket you're talking about?  Without it it's not much of a heads up, is it?

23 hours ago, Peterhua said:

I did shop in friendship and my items came to about 133baht.

Considering that you knew the parking rule (spend 150 baht = free parking). You didn't fulfill your part of the 'contract' hence you have to pay for the parking, but you'recomplaining. I can't understand why.

Archived