Echo Dot in Thailand

Joinaman

Hi There

Have a friend interested in having a Amazon Echo Dot

I have one which i bought and set up in the UK and pay for the unlimited music , just changed the location when i brought it back

I see Lazada are selling these in Thailand

So can he buy one of these from Lazada, register a account with Amazon to pay for unlimited music, and have it working here in Thailand ?

Or is he better to do what i did, and set it up in the UK before bringing it here. ?

Anyone done this with either the Alexa or the Echo, both which work the same almost

Yjanls

I bought the latest Dot in the UK for £30 directly from Amazon in one of their many sales. Brought it here, plugged it and it worked fine. Change the location to Pattaya and it adjusts its local information accordingly.

Not as useful as I thought it might be though and so far I only really use it for telling the time at night or starting BBC podcasts with the lights out, or checking tomorrow's weather (which currently is always hot with a chance of rain). I tried it for getting driving times based on local traffic conditions, but it is way out, even in the UK.

The audio quality of the built-in speaker is nowhere near good enough for listening to music, at least as far as I'm concerned. Connected to a hifi system it is OK, though it is annoying to have to do it via an analogue cable. In that respect Google Assistant control of a Chromecast is better, though that also has many failings.

I also have Alexa on my phone (free app), and that doesnt do as much as I thought it might either. If I had the choice again I would not buy the Dot, even for £30. But maybe the skills will improve.

If the Lazada ones are real and not clones then I see no reason why they should not work with a UK Amazon account.

Archived