Best veggie markets in CM?

1FinickyOne

The best for me, is what is close by. I go to Chiang Mai gate market, did that this morning at 630, then stopped at the market with no name ... I bet it has one - . That on Suriyawongse a kilometer south from Chiang Mai Gate.

I don't think they have 'organic'. However if that is what you want, they will tell you they do, & with a smile. They aim to please. :thumbsup:

Muang mai wholesale market,near US embassy on Ping River

is the biggest veg and fruit market in Chiang mai,organic I don't

think so ,but the prices are a fraction of what you would pay

at Supermarket,but you have to buy in 5-10 Kg bags for the 

likes of potatoes and onions,other veg you can buy in smaller

quantities.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, sanemax said:
14 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Are they grown in Thailand ??

No, in Belgium  

• Netherlands: US$74.3 million (40.9% of total Brussels sprouts exports)
  • Mexico: $52.6 million (28.9%)
  • United States: $23.2 million (12.8%)
  • Belgium: $9.5 million (5.2%)
  • Canada: $3.7 million (2%)

So no, the ones you get at Rimping or Makro are likely not from Belgium, let alone Thailand. That said I like Brussel sprouts.

6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:
  • Netherlands: US$74.3 million (40.9% of total Brussels sprouts exports)
  • Mexico: $52.6 million (28.9%)
  • United States: $23.2 million (12.8%)
  • Belgium: $9.5 million (5.2%)
  • Canada: $3.7 million (2%)

So no, the ones you get at Rimping or Makro are likely not from Belgium, let alone Thailand. That said I like Brussel sprouts.

Makro... ok, I hadn't thought of that but it is quite a helpful tip actually... Thanks. 

7 hours ago, moontang said:

Anyone remember the Brussel Sprout Festival in Santa Cruz? 

I feel  ... very ignorant today. I didn't know, and now it is cancelled. I did know about the artichoke festival  ... ..
THE 60TH ANNUAL CASTROVILLE ARTICHOKE FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Makro... ok, I hadn't thought of that but it is quite a helpful tip actually... Thanks. 

I was at Hang Dong Makro this morning. They are in the frozen veg section. I have also seen them at Tops, Central Airport plaza. As usual this being LOS, if they are sold out or pulled it can be a week or more before they magically reappear.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:07 AM, daoyai said:

I like the veggie mkt near the CMU art dept access from Suthep road.... wed. morning they have "organics"

it is pretty decent, but the brick and mortar building with the coffee shop is the best place for lettuce.  Best "pok choi," I have seen, too.  The other building with the frozen meats, not so good, but worth a look.  Seen too much freezer burn, the turnover isn't enough..but the lettuces are grown on the CMU farm.  Some good qual potatoes, too, but a little more than the rat markets.

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Muang mai wholesale market,near US embassy on Ping River

is the biggest veg and fruit market in Chiang mai,organic I don't

think so ,but the prices are a fraction of what you would pay

at Supermarket,but you have to buy in 5-10 Kg bags for the 

likes of potatoes and onions,other veg you can buy in smaller

quantities.

regards worgeordie

Parking is a pain in the butt to find.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:49 AM, moontang said:

Anyone remember the Brussel Sprout Festival in Santa Cruz? 

I lived in Half Moon Bay (in the last century) and there was a law against growing them within the town limits as some people objected to the smell.   In my experience they don't travel well but if fresh... lovely.

18 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I went to the annual Poke Salad festival in Gainesville, TN one year.  Truly awesome was the wheeled privy race. One one the pot, the other pushing.

Umm, that wouldn't be the annual POLK salad festival, would it? I have been to a few of them in the south, including Georgia and North carolina.

1 hour ago, Lannathaijohn said:

Royal Project Shop on Suthep Road.  It has a good variety of fruit & vegetables that are certified as organic.

On the first Thursdays/ Fridays of each month there is also a market at the same location.

Thanks - - I heard Wed. is organic day... and I was there yesterday... and nice to see an on topic post too... 

21 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

I feel  ... very ignorant today. I didn't know, and now it is cancelled. I did know about the artichoke festival  ... ..
THE 60TH ANNUAL CASTROVILLE ARTICHOKE FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL

I was at Hang Dong Makro this morning. They are in the frozen veg section. I have also seen them at Tops, Central Airport plaza. As usual this being LOS, if they are sold out or pulled it can be a week or more before they magically reappear.

Don't forget the 33rd annual Avocado Festival in Carpinteria coming in October!  Born in the 805

You might also see it spelled "polk salad" or "polk sallet. ... Poison can be found throughout this raw plant...

Poke weed, Phytolacca, a wild weed thing harvested early spring and well cooked as a pot herb is common throughout Appalachia. There may be many such 'fests' celebrating early spring greens in rural regions of Appalachia. 

You might also enjoy 'ramps', a wild onion taken in the spring at higher elevations of the eastern US mountains. But the aftertaste worse than garlic. I'm sure you could find 'ramp fests' somewhere.  

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

You might also see it spelled "polk salad" or "polk sallet. ... Poison can be found throughout this raw plant...

Poke weed, Phytolacca, a wild weed thing harvested early spring and well cooked as a pot herb is common throughout Appalachia. There may be many such 'fests' celebrating early spring greens in rural regions of Appalachia. 

You might also enjoy 'ramps', a wild onion taken in the spring at higher elevations of the eastern US mountains. But the aftertaste worse than garlic. I'm sure you could find 'ramp fests' somewhere.  

Not sure why you think a question abt where to buy veggies in CM would entice me to go to Appalachia instead... but... I get an image of playing pin the tail on the donkey and you have landed in the middle of the Pacific Ocean... maybe on an island somewhere - - No Help Atoll... 

But thanks for playing... 

On 7/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, Lannathaijohn said:

Royal Project Shop on Suthep Road.  It has a good variety of fruit & vegetables that are certified as organic.

On the first Thursdays/ Fridays of each month there is also a market at the same location.

That would be the Doi Kham shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Of the places mentioned, only JJ market on Saturday and Sundays has real "in see" organic veggies.  Organic Home on the way to mae hia is the only other real organic source in Chiang Mai as far as I know.

Most places offer "plod san pit" which is usually translated as pestiside free.  A least two of my Thai friends that have friends that work in agriculture dispute the fact that Doi Kham's produce is truly pesticide free.  The general thinking is that is has not been sprayed close (in time) to harvesting.

Another friend who is doing her PHD in Chiang Mai organic culture is currently at Biofach in Bangkok and has spent a lot of time investigating the local market so I get to hear as lot about the current status of organic production around Chiang Mai.

www.biofach-southeastasia.com

Archived