Trump offers to meet North Korea's Kim at DMZ this weekend

rooster59

2019-06-28T230618Z_1_LYNXNPEF5R28E_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump talk in the garden of the Metropole hotel during the second North Korea-U.S. summit in Hanoi, Vietnam February 28, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

OSAKA (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he would like to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un this weekend at the demilitarized zone (DMZ) on the border of North and South Korea.

Trump, who is in Osaka, Japan, for the Group of 20 Summit, is due to arrive in South Korea later on Saturday. He is scheduled to leave the country on Sunday and return to Washington.

"While there, if Chairman Kim of North Korea sees this, I would meet him at the Border/DMZ just to shake his hand and say Hello(?)!" Trump said on Twitter.

The White House on Friday declined to comment on whether Trump was scheduled to go the DMZ.

U.S. special envoy Stephen Biegun said on Friday the United States was ready to hold constructive talks with North Korea to follow through on a denuclearisation agreement reached by the two countries last year, South Korea's foreign ministry said.

Biegun told his South Korean counterpart, Lee Do-hoon, that Washington wanted to make "simultaneous, parallel" progress on the agreement reached at a summit between Trump and Kim in Singapore last year, the ministry said in a statement.

Both sides agreed to establish new relations and work towards denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.

But negotiations have stalled since a second summit in Vietnam in February collapsed as the two sides failed to narrow differences between U.S. calls for denuclearisation and North Korean demands for sanctions relief.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton; writing by Eric Beech, editing by G Crosse)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-29

The determination and sheer energy of President Trump on display again. He is managing to juggle Iran, China, Venezuela, Mexico, north Korea and Sadiq Khan without even breaking a sweat. Impressive and then some. His efforts to reconcile with North Korea seem sincere, is there a possibility of a deal in the works after Kim praised Trump's letter last week? Best of luck to the 2 men in finding some solution here.

4 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

The determination and sheer energy of President Trump on display again. He is managing to juggle Iran, China, Venezuela, Mexico, north Korea and Sadiq Khan without even breaking a sweat. Impressive and then some. His efforts to reconcile with North Korea seem sincere, is there a possibility of a deal in the works after Kim praised Trump's letter last week? Best of luck to the 2 men in finding some solution here.

Trump played it well with Iran. He can say hey look I could have struck them and didn't. No need to call it a summit just informal talks.

11 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Well let’s look at what donalds been up to shal we Iran we and our old allies(they don’t like us much anymore)had a working agreement with another nation Donald against the advice of experienced diplomats tore it up now we are close to war with them as he try’s to strangle them on China he is spending my money on his tariffs so far he is not succeeding unless you count farmers losing their business Venezuela is a straight up fail now he’s attacking Maduros son trying to blame Mexico for his failures little Kim fires at will and Donald sends him roses and sucks up to him he may be your hero but me I’m no mark

1 minute ago, Tug said:

Well let’s look at what donalds been up to shal we Iran we and our old allies(they don’t like us much anymore)had a working agreement with another nation Donald against the advice of experienced diplomats tore it up now we are close to war with them as he try’s to strangle them on China he is spending my money on his tariffs so far he is not succeeding unless you count farmers losing their business Venezuela is a straight up fail now he’s attacking Maduros son trying to blame Mexico for his failures little Kim fires at will and Donald sends him roses and sucks up to him he may be your hero but me I’m no mark

Never mind that Trump is in Japan meeting with Xi soon. You think he might know something you don't? There are deals being made and we are not privy to them. In that case maybe just wait and let it all play out?

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

is due to arrive in South Korea later on Saturday. He is scheduled to leave the country on Sunday and return to Washington.

"While there, if Chairman Kim of North Korea sees this, I would meet him at the Border/DMZ just to shake his hand and say Hello(?)!" Trump said on Twitter.

???????????????? a gratuitous self serving PR stunt.

TUG & PORPHRY - Why the negativity. He is the one and only US President who has ever worked for no salary- let alone rip the American people off like nearly all. Just give him chance will you - or do you think you can do better ? 

9 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Juggling implies keeping all the balls in the air.... this is more like ten pin bowling with a propensity for the old gutterball. Trump just got schooled by Xi.... a sudden Hail Mary attempt at scoring some positive PR with Kim on his way home wont help 

1 hour ago, generealty said:

TUG & PORPHRY - Why the negativity. He is the one and only US President who has ever worked for no salary- let alone rip the American people off like nearly all. Just give him chance will you - or do you think you can do better ? 

5555... I think I read somewhere that his golf trips had cost the American taxpayer 105 million dollars to date, and let’s not forget the tax breaks for the very rich, which coincidentally includes him... doesn’t take his salary 55555.

???????????? I think Tug could do better.... but hey, Tug, be cool, I think the monkey from “pirates of the Caribbean” would do better, as well.

14 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Why not? No missiles have been flying lately. It can't hurt to talk. Trump wanted to talk with the Iranians and even refrained from a strike. There is absolutely nothing wrong with meeting.

I think the anti-Trumpers will find something wrong, those boys are relentless and imaginative.

22 hours ago, Tug said:

So, you are not in favour of diplomacy then?

Perhaps you'd prefer a resumption of hostilities instead?

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Yeah yeah !  Talk it  up. Arms sales  are  up!  Yeehar!   Always the short term silver  lining. Never  mind  we  could  all  choke  on the  dust storm.

Have to make money somehow to pay for all the illegal immigrants, and other liberal projects.

22 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Never mind that Trump is in Japan meeting with Xi soon. You think he might know something you don't? There are deals being made and we are not privy to them. In that case maybe just wait and let it all play out?

Trump knows lots of things that other people don't. Virtually always they turn out to be false. Like China is paying for the tariffs. Or that the tariffs haven't affected prices for their goods in the USA. Crazy stuff. Who could believe that?

On 6/29/2019 at 7:12 AM, rooster59 said:

just for a stunt of publicity but Kim doesn't appear to agreed with the stunt as he yet has not answered,

On 6/29/2019 at 7:12 AM, rooster59 said:

since Kim didn't invite me better to invite myself .... he can't accept that Kim invited Xi but didn't invite him, what an ego

Just now, Mavideol said:

since Kim didn't invite me better to invite myself .... he can't accept that Kim invited Xi but didn't invite him, what an ego

No. North and South Korea were not scheduled to meet at the DMZ this week-end 

22 hours ago, generealty said:

'worked for no salary' is totally meaningless.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:20 PM, generealty said:

False. Both John F. Kennedy and Herbert Hoover worked for no salary.

And he has refused to put his business interests in a blind trust. This is something required of cabinet members. I guess when that law was passed no one thought that a President with such extensive business interests would be so venial as to not use a blind trust.

Archived