Transferwise international transfers heads up

Even though i bank with Krungsri i opened a Bangkok Bank account purely to do my monthly 65k transfers with Tranferswise. So far have the FTT on all transfers. Bit of a pain though as every month i have to withdraw 65k in cash from BKK and deposit it at Krungsri.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Even though i bank with Krungsri i opened a Bangkok Bank account purely to do my monthly 65k transfers with Tranferswise. So far have the FTT on all transfers. Bit of a pain though as every month i have to withdraw 65k in cash from BKK and deposit it at Krungsri.

I have been in contact with Transferwise several times over the last 2 months about the FET letter Bangkok Bank issue.  I bank with TMB , but have asked TW whether it would be better to move to Bangkok Bank. They told me that even if I did so I would still need to contact them by 'Callback'  for every future transaction to confirm I wanted the transfer to be made by Bangkok Bank, even though I might hold an account there. This was after they said they had put a 'tag' on my account to remind them to use Bangkok Bank for the transfer! Finally, has anyone got a copy of the FET letter, or has any idea where I can find a copy?

Edited by joebrown
change grammar
  • Like 1

just did a transfer on 24 June from . my US bank to Bangkok Bank. No need to do a Callback to make sure it went to Bangkok Bank. Went into the bank a couple of days later to get a credit advice to use with immigration and it confirmed that the funds had arrived as FTT.

One thing to note about Transferwise is that they raised their fee between this transfer and the prior one. For about the same US$ transfer amount, the fee increased from US$18.73 to US$22.60. 

David

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

just did a transfer on 24 June from . my US bank to Bangkok Bank. No need to do a Callback to make sure it went to Bangkok Bank. Went into the bank a couple of days later to get a credit advice to use with immigration and it confirmed that the funds had arrived as FTT.

One thing to note about Transferwise is that they raised their fee between this transfer and the prior one. For about the same US$ transfer amount, the fee increased from US$18.73 to US$22.60. 

David

Hmm, I got this email from Transferwise :-

M***************** (TransferWise)

Jun 28, 14:04 CEST

Hey Xxxxxx,

BBL will definitely issue the transfer as a domestic payment - therefore I wouldn't recommend BBL because they will issue the transfer exactly like TMB and they don't have the possibility to issue any supporting documentation that might help your case. 

So has any one out there done an international transfer with TW to BBL, TMB or Kbank in the last 48 hours? Was there a problem with the transaction code designation?

I am more confused than ever. If things were not so serious I would laugh it off, but this seems to be the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Both with TW and Kbank. What a foul up!

TIT and all that ????
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, oxmermaid said:

Hi,

TW told me BBL (Bangkok Bank Limited) are also affected by this 'glitch'! Don't shoot the messenger ????

I have had no problem this year with transfers from TW to my BBL account and my last transfer was on 21st June.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

I do online banking and simply transfer the money from BBL to KBank through internet banking as a free transfer.

Edited by billd766
Edited for bad spelling after I had posted it
  • Like 1

Guys is there any reason why you cannot use the Transferwise PDP as proof that your transfer came from abroad, all the figures correspond and the dates will only be a day adrift or 3 at the most. I've just looked at one of mine and it states TMB as the transferree into my SCB account and it shows the transfer as pounds sterling.

2 minutes ago, oxmermaid said:

Without wanting to go over ground already covered in other threads, would you trust a front of office Immigration Officer to spend time ploughing through TW and other bumph when all they want is 12 international transfers one every month? You are right in collating the data but the IO has the power to reject if they so choose. 

Well i intend getting the bank letter confirming that a minimum of 65K has been transferred into my SCB account on or about the same date each month, the TW PDP (12) just confirms that the dosh has come from the UK. When i did my last retirement extension in January the Korat IO stated that next year i would have to provide bank confirmation of the transfer, no mention of proving that the transfer came from abroad, perhaps next January i'll just make sure i see the same IO.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rama said:

Have been doing the transferwise transfer from US since early February to bkk bank. Last one was early June. No problem, always shows a FTT. When you setup your transferwise transfer, it gives you 2 options, whether to do it as a SWIFT transfer or not. I choose SWIFT. Are you sure your transferwise transfer is setup correctly? They usually charge a few dollars more for the SWIFT.

I was'nt aware there are two setup options. I assumed from posts that the problem was if your transfer did'nt go through Bangkok bank to your receiving bank (SCB) it would'nt show up as FTT but X1.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

why? can't you draw what you need from BKK bank?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oxmermaid said:

This glitch appeared last week, when was the last time you tried the BBL transfer?

My last transfer into my Bangkok Bank was last week, it had the code I needed.

As far as I know KK has always shown the “Dummy Branch” Code for TW deposits, at they have for me since I started using them in Feb last year.

I’m not saying there hasn’t been a glitch, but the whole debacle shows how bonkers the new rules are.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

My last transfer into my Bangkok Bank was last week, it had the code I needed.

As far as I know KK has always shown the “Dummy Branch” Code for TW deposits, at they have for me since I started using them in Feb last year.

I’m not saying there hasn’t been a glitch, but the whole debacle shows how bonkers the new rules are.

It is my understanding that TW introduced a software upgrade(!) in early June to trial automatically routing payments directly into your BBL, TMB and KK account. It failed. The upshot was that in my case it went to TMB who paid it into my KK account as a Thai inter bank (i.e. national) transfer. Meaning that a credit advice note could not be generated. TW attempted a second (duplicate) transfer on 27/6/19 which showed up as per my opening post. After a lot of digging I established that the transferer was "Agent Transferwise". Not BBL or TMB. TW suspect that KK have also upgraded(!) their software which currently cannot show this transaction as an International transfer.

As you said, bonkers!

To err is human but to really screw things up use a computer.

Edited by oxmermaid
grammar
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, oxmermaid said:

Hi,

TW told me BBL (Bangkok Bank Limited) are also affected by this 'glitch'! Don't shoot the messenger ????

Transferwise will make problems for you rather than solve them. It took them 7 days and several phone calls before I got my money transfered into my Thai bank from the UK. I'm very wary of using them now.

• Confused 2

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Transferwise will make problems for you rather than solve them. It took them 7 days and several phone calls before I got my money transfered into my Thai bank from the UK. I'm very wary of using them now.

Bad scenario. I have used them 3 times and all was OK, money arrived next day or quicker.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Interesting. I have not used TransferWise a lot, but the two transfers from the UK I used them for both completed within 24 hours.

I had two transfers before and were completed very quickly, I was very impressed, the third one was a disaster. the fault was all on their side, I transferred my money the same way each time.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, mosan said:

That's not entirely true. I have had zero problems since I started using TransferWise. Now granted, I'm only one person, but I do use Bangkok Bank-though I'm not on here advertising for them.  

I used Bangkok bank to, but the fault was all on the side of transferwise.

• Confused 1

The only issues I have ever had with TW was the fault of my originating banks.  Currently, I have a TW borderless account and I transfer from the borderless account to Bangkok Bank with the correct coding and no other issues.

• Like 2

I sent via TW from UK to Kasikorn on 24th June.  It was routed through their KK local branch (without prompting this time) but it arrived on 25th coded as dummy.  This is the first time a transfer sent via KK has shown as Dummy... I've had around 10 previously, some just lucky and some specifically asking them to route it that way.

After 2 months of routing it correctly on an e-mail request, via KK where it was correctly coded, but last month they ignored my e-mail and routed it via TMB and no surprise it arrived as Dummy... So blew my chances to use income for my next extension.  I e-mailed them giving them both barrels, and didn't bother to specify where I wanted it routed this month.

• Like 1