Hat Yai Airport Delays - Hajj Flights

Stocky

It's that time of year again, so expect delays getting in to Hat Yai Airport. It's not the Hajjis causing the jam, but the village coming to see them off and welcome them home again. So the vehicle checkpoint entering the airport, and the baggage scanners entering the airport building, will both be bottlenecks - allow a little extra time if travelling on these days.

Flights from Hat Yai are twice a day from July 16 - 20 - return flight dates aren't given, but should be around August 16 – 31.

https://interairport-southeastasia.com/english/thailand-hat-yai-airport-ready-for-hajj-pilgrimage/

I like Hat Yai and the south, it's been our home for 15 years and we're happy here. Dangerous? No, probably safer than many places in Thailand because of the extra security.

But each to his own.

Hat Yai being safe? Oh no. Our Thai acquaintenceship would definitely disagree. My missus, who is a local,  has already made it clear that once her parents pass away, we will need to get the hell out of Hat Yai and its surroundings. It's an extremely unwelcoming place. 

We simple call the place "Pratet Hatyai" which means Hat Yai country. No one gives a flying f..k about the laws of Thailand. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

it was really a mob scene

Yes, I had a trip through to Malaysia earlier in the week and coming back Thursday there were a lot of Muslim families picnicking out on the grass. I guess these are the independent travellers they're seeing off rather than the package tour mob that'll take the Saudi Jumbo flights next week.

Archived