Police investigating as woman claims "easy as pie" resolution to drink driving charge

rooster59

Police investigating as woman claims "easy as pie" resolution to drink driving charge

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU2My83ODE4MTYyL25ld3MwNS5qcGc=.jpg

Caption: Drinking and driving: Easy to get out of?

Thai social media was in uproar after a Chiang Mai woman posted a story saying that she got off a drink driving charge with no fuss whatsoever. 

Pictures that ended up on "Red Skull" showed her at a pub and outside the Phuping Ratchaniwet police station.

She said it was as easy as pie to get off. She even got a discount. 

"No court appearance was necessary and the fine was lowered from 8,000 baht to just 3,000" baht she boasted. 

Netizens said her post was inappropriate and she could find herself facing a police defamation charge if she was lying.

And that is what is happening. 

The chief of the station has been in touch with her and an investigation is now in full swing. 

Pol Col Ronnachai Rotloi said that if it is determined that this was a fake news story she will be prosecuted for damaging the good name of his force. 

Sanook quoted an underling at the police station as saying that on the night in question eight drunk drivers were caught - and he said they were all male. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-29

It is simply not possible to damage the good name of the RTP, on any level. Everyone knows who they are, and what they do for a living. They are franchisees, plain and simple. Sure, they are embarrassed when their daily trade gets publicized. But, nobody should be angry at this woman, as she is likely just stating the facts. 

The fine was lower to 3000 baht....

A bribe was paid and they let her off then....   So she now needs to prove that she bribed the Police to avoid a charge of deformation... Catch 22 - Prove that and she gets charge for bribery !!! - Check Mate to the Police !!!! - Sanctimonious hypocrisy at its best !!!

Pol Col Ronnachai Rotloi said that if it is determined that this was a fake news story she will be prosecuted for damaging the good name of his force. 

And if it turns out not to be fake news will the policeman that she paid be punished for accepting a bribe?

I am still constantly amazed at the things people feel they have to post on social media. I think it is a new type of mental disorder. If I had got away with a light fine / bribe, instead of a prosecution, I would keep bloody quiet about it. Especially considering the draconian defamation laws here. :blink:

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sanook quoted an underling at the police station as saying that on the night in question eight drunk drivers were caught - and he said they were all male. 

Of course there won't be an official record, because possibly she paid a bribe and not a fine

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Thai social media was in uproar after a Chiang Mai woman posted a story saying that she got off a drink driving charge with no fuss whatsoever

Says a lot about her crowing about getting off a D D charge even if her story does turn out to be a load of pony .. Nowt to be proud of whatsoever ..

41 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Of course there won't be an official record, because she paid a bribe and not a fine

I find this "bribe", if there was one, to be way too low. Normally it's 10-20k, foreigner or Thai same same. I call her a liar.

12 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I find this "bribe", if there was one, to be way too low. Normally it's 10-20k, foreigner or Thai same same. I call her a liar.

I love these comments of whats normal in Thailand !!!.... There is no normal !!... just a spectrum of experiences... 

In Bangkok, a Western Mate paid 6000 baht at a police stop at 3am after blowing over, a bit different from your 'normal'...  who else are you now going to call a liar?

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I love these comments of whats normal in Thailand !!!.... There is no normal !!... just a spectrum of experiences... 

In Bangkok, a Western Mate paid 6000 baht at a police stop at 3am after blowing over, a bit different from your 'normal'...  who else are you now going to call a liar?

This was about CM, not BKK.

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup; had a mate in the same situation in CM; stopped at 2am and paid 4000 because that was every penny he had left on him !

Yes, social, better put anti "social media" glaring demonstrates an average combined EQ/IQ of our general populous  

This one unfortunately must be quite close to sub 80 on the scale ... no other way to rationalise why anyone could be stupid enough to voluntarily without provocation or a court order to speak publicly of their involvement in a criminal act.  

2 hours ago, peteski1 said:

Yes, social, better put anti "social media" glaring demonstrates an average combined EQ/IQ of our general populous  

This one unfortunately must be quite close to sub 80 on the scale ... no other way to rationalise why anyone could be stupid enough to voluntarily without provocation or a court order to speak publicly of their involvement in a criminal act.  

Same as some Thai idiots who arrange illegal road races and are surprised when Plod rolls up too and arrests them. Some even pimp or sell drugs on social media. As so often here, they are too stupid to link the dots and realise that if their intended 'market' can read their posts, so can others.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Of course he will say that. How would it look if he said something about one person that got away without paperwork and reciept?

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is simply not possible to damage the good name of the RTP, on any level. Everyone knows who they are, and what they do for a living. They are franchisees, plain and simple. Sure, they are embarrassed when their daily trade gets publicized. But, nobody should be angry at this woman, as she is likely just stating the facts. 

I am an Australian and know a few personally, I have found these and other officer honest and helpful. Maybe it's because I treat them with respect. I have seen in the media of corrupt police not only in Thailand also Australia, USA, Britian and nearly every country in the world.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, it's the welfare.brits running around here that are the liars, but I feel sure that doesn't  include r Smith, oh no

21 minutes ago, Barry343 said:

I am an Australian and know a few personally, I have found these and other officer honest and helpful. Maybe it's because I treat them with respect. I have seen in the media of corrupt police not only in Thailand also Australia, USA, Britian and nearly every country in the world.

Well there you have it then.  Just simply treat them with respect and they will be helpful and honest.  
Corrupt, bad, poorly trained, unstable individual officers all over the world, but here it seems more systemic.

9 hours ago, les Dennis said:

So she gets pissed up, gets busted, pays 3000 baht (result) back behind the wheel with licence fully in tact  to do it all again the following evening. Thats how messed up this place is.

She felt no shame for DUI and boast about it like some great feat. Didn’t she know the consequences of drunken driving on those accident victims? This is a fxxxup country where those who should be the moral fabric of society have misplaced values. 

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If it's fake she's in trouble, if she's boasting about paying a fine she could get another one... but this time with an extra nought.

Caught between the rock and a hard place ...  

17 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am still constantly amazed at the things people feel they have to post on social media. I think it is a new type of mental disorder. If I had got away with a light fine / bribe, instead of a prosecution, I would keep bloody quiet about it. Especially considering the draconian defamation laws here. :blink:

The disorder is “Relevance Deprivation Syndrome”, 

Symtoms::::Lack of executive function in frontal lobe

Inability to keep fingers off touchpad

Archived