BANGKOK
rooster59

"We can't have Thais taking advantage of tourists", says airport cop as rip-off taxi driver fined

Just this past Monday from Swampy, once we left the parking area the driver told me 600 baht and he would pay the toll (which meant not using the tollway) for what is normally a 250 baht meter plus 50 airport charge. I immediately said F You and use the meter, which he did. The tourist police should hand out flyers at the taxi lines explaining meters are required and the range of fares to certain major destinations. 

And TAT wonders why the number of higher income Western Tourists is down. People don't like getting ripped off - plain and simple. Same nonsense with the Grand Palace is closed today schemes.

I was just in Tokyo and in Shinjuku where many of the "Hostess Bars" are located, they have loudspeaker announcements in English and Chinese clearly warning about the scams. As always Thailand would learn a thing or two from the Japanese.

21 hours ago, nev said:

How about making a real example like stripping him if his taxi licence, Will send a better message than a paltry fine.

He did have his eyes scribbled out according to the article.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Really, the standard of police work in this country has become very slack, not one of them is pointing at the guy.

They probably thought most people have enough common sense to figure out who the perp is....

19 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

How can any Policeman in Thailand keep a straight face when making such a statement !

True,in my forty odd years of visiting Thailand it quickly became obvious that many 'Private' taxi drivers were rip off merchants, surely this has not just been discovered ?

• Confused 1

Someone had best tell the Pattaya taxi and songtaew mafia. The taxis refuse to use meters, as required by law and the songtaews, not licensed as taxis, rip off Chinese/Indian/Russian tourists for ridiculously inflated fares.

I laugh when I read general hot-air being vented into an environment of greed and corruption.

22 hours ago, nev said:

How about making a real example like stripping him if his taxi licence, Will send a better message than a paltry fine.

..I wonder is there an 'inactive position' for these thugs/mugs to be transferred to like car detailing.  😕

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"We can't have Thais taking advantage of tourists",

Then shut the whole place down!

22 hours ago, nev said:

yes,, two new ( farang ) costumers and he got his money back..

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

district officials were pictured with the driver whose eyes were scribbled out

A fitting punishment! He will never drive again now......🙃.

We appreciate the sentiment of that officer. Now let it spread to other rip-offs like the over-charging of foreigners at various parks and other attractions where foreigners entry fees are higher than those for Thais. And while we are at it, stop the police from pocketing monies for infringements real or imagined.

Taxi drivers rip off tourists all over the world.I suffer from taxiphobia because of this.Wont go anywhere near them.haha.

Isn't that why the taxis have meters to prevent this ?

I agree a Thb 500 fine is not a significant penalty. Suspend the licence for 3 months the first time, then subsequent occurrences a year, plus a large fine.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

How can any Policeman in Thailand keep a straight face when making such a statement !

Training and/or internship with TAT...

• Haha 1

"whose eyes were scribbled out."

Now that SOUNDS" like a proper punishment!

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

Don't. Get into any cab if the drive refuse to put the meter on. If you get in you are encouraging the corruption?

So true, this is what they really need to crack down on. Do not ever get into a taxi that won't turn on the meter, unless the fare is prearranged and reasonable.

Before the latest Military Junta took over and "cleaned up" the Don Muang Airport Taxi stand, it was common to hear the Taxi driver charge 1000thb for a short ride to Sukhumvit Marriott, IIRC about ~300thb on the meter.