BANGKOK
rooster59

"We can't have Thais taking advantage of tourists", says airport cop as rip-off taxi driver fined

On 6/29/2019 at 4:49 PM, nev said:

How about making a real example like stripping him if his taxi licence, Will send a better message than a paltry fine.

You Thai bashers , are having a field day on this topic .

Keep up the good work . 555

12 hours ago, sahibji said:

sorry what do you mean by "what licence" ? any implication of unlicensed taxi drivers?

Like in UK you mean ?

On 6/29/2019 at 7:28 PM, trainman34014 said:

How can any Policeman in Thailand keep a straight face when making such a statement !

He was slipped a few hundred to. 

Smoking on a beach can get one jail....same should be done with such scumbags who cheat people that are the official thai taxi drivers...

• Like 1

So the when Government charging tourists 4 or 5 times what a Thai pays to enter a national park or waterfall that's ok, welcome to Thailand 

• Like 1

So,  get rid of the DUAL-PRICE system if you really want to tackle something. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Almer said:

Well if you been ripped of thats your problem.

eg..   i had to go to Bangkok for a couple of days and we had arranged to have a new door hung, wooden door wooden frame.

the Chippy quoted the Mrs 650 baht to include new hinges and he would come at lunchtime the next day. True enough 14.00 Mrs rings me o say he is there and im now about an hour from home.

i get back man just finishing and tidy clean job, that will be 1000baht, wife asks why 1000 you said 650, ah but i didn't know it was for falang.

so around to workshop pozi screwdriver and commence removing door, why the chippy says because you can take your hinges and p-ss of 650 is for any colour any shape any body so you just wasted 2 hours and thankyou for marking out for me, he stands and watches and says ok 650 i tell him no because these are now not new hinges, in the end we settled on 650 and the cold water the Mrs gave hime i took back in before he could drink it, childish i know but thats how people would treat me if the roles were reversed, as i said if you are being overcharged, your problem.

I did not say that I had been ripped off, so no problem. I simply stated that it is a National Sport here. I am like you, I will not let them get away with it. I always get the wife to find a price, then sometimes they get angry because they find out it is a Farang, other times you can see it in their faces but they keep quiet. I like what you did, and I would do the same, ( except in your case as I am a boatbuilder by trade I would hang my own door...:wink:).

Cheers,

AFJ

Motorcycle taxis, cars, mini-vans, tour coaches... it's all a nightmare!

No drivers are thoroughly checked before getting a licence and none are punished effectively when breaking the rules!

• Like 2

Foreigners in general are viewed a sheep waiting to be sheared by Thai's. That is just the simple fact of the matter. There are many things wrong with my home country but differential pricing for foreigners and price gouging by licensed public utilities would NEVER be tolerated. One has to wrap one's mind around the fact that , "this isn't Kansas Dorthy". There is no democratic traditions anywhere in Asia. This is an area of the world with traditions of absolute rulers and total lack of empathy for the common man. Human life is cheap here and if you wander around void of situational awareness, you might meet some serious misfortune.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

Foreigners in general are viewed a sheep waiting to be sheared by Thai's.

Taxi drivers in San Francisco are viewed by the local government there as Cash Cows waiting to be milked.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:24 PM, TVGerry said:

This taxi rip off thing is serious but they needed 10 policemen for this?

Where did it say that 10 officers were needed?

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

Stop fining the drivers and start charging them for fraud for using a hyped up meter.

He wasn't using a "hyped up meter".

23 hours ago, eddysmit said:

True,in my forty odd years of visiting Thailand it quickly became obvious that many 'Private' taxi drivers were rip off merchants, surely this has not just been discovered ?

What's a "'Private' taxi driver"?

A friend of mine had an old couple stay with him in Patong 3 weeks ago arrived at Phuket and exchanged his money grabbed a taxi to Patong 800 baht 

didnt realise after the taxi left he had pealed off 8 1000 baht notes

sad but true

Just a shout out to the tourist police. A friend left his wallet in a taxi after airport drop off. TP got everything back for him in a couple of hours using cctv. I don't know any other capital city where you'd see your wallet again. Good job tourist police.