Which area of Bangkok would you buy a condo in and why?

I have been thinking of buying a condo in Bangkok, just not sure which location.

I have lived in Klong Toei, Pra Khanong, and Bang Kapi. All fine.

Part of me would want to buy along Sukhumvit Road, rather than Lap Prao, for example, just because I think the most development would be there.

I hear On Nut is pretty popular these days, compared to 10 years ago when there wasn't much going on.

Then I think about area nearby the good universities for my kids.

Ari is apparently a hot new area.

Anyway, where would you buy (or where did you buy) and why?

Depends on the objectives... 

For yourself or for rent. 

For long term (20 years) or short term (3-5 years).

Some places are difficult to resell and become a burden - thus, location is key for resale.

On Nut, walking distance to the Sky Train is a good call. 

The area next to Hab

Resell is easier in niche markets. For example I bought in Pathumwan (Chula students) and kept it for over 10 years for personal use and also some years rental. When the time came to sell it was relatively easy (considering the market is saturated ), and sold (predictably) to a Chula parent.

You might want to take note that the rental market is definitely not as good as it used to be (oversupply).

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Depends on the objectives... 

For yourself or for rent. 

For long term (20 years) or short term (3-5 years).

Some places are difficult to resell and become a burden - thus, location is key for resale.

On Nut, walking distance to the Sky Train is a good call. 

The area next to Hab

I used to have a room in On Nut but it still felt a large distance from the center. I just didn't like it so sold it off within a year. It's more like a huge dormitory for city white collar workers. So glad I moved  ????  If I really HAD to live in BKK I'd chose off Sukhumvit  depending on budget etc.

DMK, LAKSI, RANGSIT

With the BTS coming to these areas it is going to be even easier to get in and out of BKK.  People are already moving out of the city so for investment out of the city is better than in the city if you have the funds.

A good friend of mine has just sold his apartment in anticipation of moving back to New Zealand after 15 years living in Thailand. He bought in the millennium residence on Soi 20 for ฿22 million some six years ago. He’s just sold for ฿31.85 million. If you take into account the variance in exchange rate since buying and selling he’ll take a cool $500,000 (NZD) profit when he moves back in August. Just goes to show you, that serious money can be made in the Bangkok real estate market if you buy in the right area. 

If I may ask a counter question - how are you getting about? The last 3 times I was in bkk I nearly self detonated with the worst traffic I’ve ever encountered anywhere. If I absolutely had to live in bkk - that would probably be my top concern.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:35 AM, cmsally said:

Resell is easier in niche markets. For example I bought in Pathumwan (Chula students) and kept it for over 10 years for personal use and also some years rental. When the time came to sell it was relatively easy (considering the market is saturated ), and sold (predictably) to a Chula parent.

You might want to take note that the rental market is definitely not as good as it used to be (oversupply).

I rented in this area for a number of years and quite enjoyed it.  I had a place overlooking the canal.  Fairly quiet.  Close to pretty much everything except the Sukhumvit area, but straight up the street so was easy to get to. 

On 6/30/2019 at 2:57 PM, mike787 said:

Where? = Nana.

Why?  Non stop beer, expats, and super HOT thai girls ready to rock your world 24/7/365

This ! You want to buy where there will be a good supply of expats in case you want to rent it out.. however Prices are totally out of this world. The baht and the out of control escalating price means now anyone not wealthy cant buy lower sukhumvit and  will need to buy near the outer reaches of the BTS and that becomes problematic

46 minutes ago, madmen said:

This ! You want to buy where there will be a good supply of expats in case you want to rent it out.. however Prices are totally out of this world. The baht and the out of control escalating price means now anyone not wealthy cant buy lower sukhumvit and  will need to buy near the outer reaches of the BTS and that becomes problematic

YES, are very accurate in your analysis. 

I have a condo in a great lower Sukhumvit location but in an older, though well-maintained block. Prices are a bargain when compared to new-builds. You can buy in that area without spending a fortune.

Don Mueang / Tiwanon Rd. Champs Elysees Condominium has furnished condos for rent starting at about 6 k and to buy for under a million. It's value. And traffic isn't atrocious yet. 11 km from Future Park Rangsit. Has a pay-for-use pool and a small gym. A7-11 and many coffee shops and some very good restaurants.

No commercial interest - but I've rented there for years.

PM is pretty bad, but that's normal, isn't it?

We had embezzlement issues, too. Mybig bike was stolen despite 24/7 guards. Sleeping on the job... 

Regardless, on a tight budget, I would look at Nonthaburi. 

9 hours ago, onlycw said:

Don Mueang / Tiwanon Rd. Champs Elysees Condominium has furnished condos for rent starting at about 6 k and to buy for under a million. It's value. And traffic isn't atrocious yet. 11 km from Future Park Rangsit. Has a pay-for-use pool and a small gym. A7-11 and many coffee shops and some very good restaurants.

No commercial interest - but I've rented there for years.

PM is pretty bad, but that's normal, isn't it?

We had embezzlement issues, too. Mybig bike was stolen despite 24/7 guards. Sleeping on the job... 

Regardless, on a tight budget, I would look at Nonthaburi. 

Looks like prices have come down quite a bit.  Rents starting at 4K and for sale at 650k.   Not bad.  

https://www.hipflat.com/projects/champs-elysees-tiwanon-ihyeqs

55 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Looks like prices have come down quite a bit.  Rents starting at 4K and for sale at 650k.   Not bad.  

It's a crap hole that's why.

Although some cheap interesting bars in the square inhabited by school teacher types.

If money no object - Ratchadamri.

Personally, I think along the river by Silom, Sathorn and Klong San is quite nice. And a lot of $$$ being invested there at the moment.

15 mins on the BTS from Saphan Taksin to Siam. At night 15 mins in a taxi from Lower/mid Suk.

ICONSIAM and One Bangkok finished in a few years time. The area just needs a few more decent pubs and bars.

RAZZ

2 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

It's a crap hole that's why.

Although some cheap interesting bars in the square inhabited by school teacher types.

If money no object - Ratchadamri.

Personally, I think along the river by Silom, Sathorn and Klong San is quite nice. And a lot of $$$ being invested there at the moment.

15 mins on the BTS from Saphan Taksin to Siam. At night 15 mins in a taxi from Lower/mid Suk.

ICONSIAM and One Bangkok finished in a few years time. The area just needs a few more decent pubs and bars.

RAZZ

Well...of course the places on the River are gonna be nicer.  You’re comparing the top end to the bottom end.  I’m able to appreciate that there are wide ranging options for every budget.  What I personally don’t understand is the premium that areas such as Thonglor command.  It’s still has the same hodgepodge grubbiness as every other part of central Bangkok.  

With all the money I hear about...where are the true “Beverly Hills” neighborhoods?  Do they even have something like that in Thailand?

2 hours ago, madmen said:
3 hours ago, Airalee said:

Is the out near the airport? Prices never went up to come down

Ok...so then rents starting @ ฿6000 and ฿1,000,000 were a pipe dream to start with.  Don’t worry....I wasn’t getting ready to pack my bags yet.

Sukhumvit!  Somewhere between Soi 24 and 4.  It's central to most things you need and hopefully your office is nearby.  If you want to rent it then it is in a prime location.  If after a few years you need to sell it then you are again in a prime location.  

On 7/7/2019 at 8:36 PM, Airalee said:

Well...of course the places on the River are gonna be nicer.  You’re comparing the top end to the bottom end.  I’m able to appreciate that there are wide ranging options for every budget.  What I personally don’t understand is the premium that areas such as Thonglor command.  It’s still has the same hodgepodge grubbiness as every other part of central Bangkok.  

With all the money I hear about...where are the true “Beverly Hills” neighborhoods?  Do they even have something like that in Thailand?

Well, I guess Ratchamadri would be the top place in town for condos.

Ari has some "old money" type houses.

There are also a few big 1970's "playboy mansions" in the the Sukhumvit Sois around 31-33.

Bizarrely, the only places I know with mega houses for mega $$$ are on the golf courses and housing estates out near Bang Na- Lakewoods, Narasiri, Windmill Park etc etc.

RAZZ

I would stay away from lower Sukhumvhit and Thong Lo. Sathorn was hot, now just seems out of the way. Sukhumvhit bc it's just tired and sleazy. You'd have to be an idiot to live in that hell. It won't develop, there's so many condos going up elsewhere. Thing Lo bc of all the years of cop hassles. Myself, I loathe the BTS. I won't give you my picks. Honestly, the stuff is way overpriced. Condo in Florida steps from the ocean same price as a coffin 1km from broken mass transit lines. Air pollution and filthy streets from wet garbage dripping from the backs of municipal trucks.

Depends on your finances? 15million up?

Archived