BANGKOK 19 July 2019 21:23
FruitPudding

Which area of Bangkok would you buy a condo in and why?

Posted (edited)

I have been thinking of buying a condo in Bangkok, just not sure which location.

I have lived in Klong Toei, Pra Khanong, and Bang Kapi. All fine.

Part of me would want to buy along Sukhumvit Road, rather than Lap Prao, for example, just because I think the most development would be there.

I hear On Nut is pretty popular these days, compared to 10 years ago when there wasn't much going on.

Then I think about area nearby the good universities for my kids.

Ari is apparently a hot new area.

Anyway, where would you buy (or where did you buy) and why?

Edited by FruitPudding

Thonglor. 

Sukhumvit 55 is a nice aerea, 

Soi 8 where I live is quiet despite being 5 minutes from the main road and 15 minutes from main Sukhumvit. 

Not that cheap. 

A lot of Japanese. 

• Like 2

Depends on the objectives... 

For yourself or for rent. 

For long term (20 years) or short term (3-5 years).

Some places are difficult to resell and become a burden - thus, location is key for resale.

On Nut, walking distance to the Sky Train is a good call. 

The area next to Hab

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Depends on the objectives... 

For yourself or for rent. 

For long term (20 years) or short term (3-5 years).

Some places are difficult to resell and become a burden - thus, location is key for resale.

On Nut, walking distance to the Sky Train is a good call. 

The area next to Hab

I used to have a room in On Nut but it still felt a large distance from the center. I just didn't like it so sold it off within a year. It's more like a huge dormitory for city white collar workers. So glad I moved  🙂  If I really HAD to live in BKK I'd chose off Sukhumvit  depending on budget etc.

Jatujak. Nice parks and connections.

Preference 1. Sukhumvit 1-19 to live

preference 2. Sukhumvit 19-55 to rent - so closer to the sky train is better.

• Like 1

DMK, LAKSI, RANGSIT

With the BTS coming to these areas it is going to be even easier to get in and out of BKK.  People are already moving out of the city so for investment out of the city is better than in the city if you have the funds.

I'd tell you, but there are very few farangs, bars, etc there. Clean, honest, people with real jobs.... why upset that?

• Like 1

If I may ask a counter question - how are you getting about? The last 3 times I was in bkk I nearly self detonated with the worst traffic I’ve ever encountered anywhere. If I absolutely had to live in bkk - that would probably be my top concern.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:35 AM, cmsally said:

Resell is easier in niche markets. For example I bought in Pathumwan (Chula students) and kept it for over 10 years for personal use and also some years rental. When the time came to sell it was relatively easy (considering the market is saturated ), and sold (predictably) to a Chula parent.

You might want to take note that the rental market is definitely not as good as it used to be (oversupply).

I rented in this area for a number of years and quite enjoyed it.  I had a place overlooking the canal.  Fairly quiet.  Close to pretty much everything except the Sukhumvit area, but straight up the street so was easy to get to. 

On 6/30/2019 at 2:57 PM, mike787 said:

Where? = Nana.

Why?  Non stop beer, expats, and super HOT thai girls ready to rock your world 24/7/365

This ! You want to buy where there will be a good supply of expats in case you want to rent it out.. however Prices are totally out of this world. The baht and the out of control escalating price means now anyone not wealthy cant buy lower sukhumvit and  will need to buy near the outer reaches of the BTS and that becomes problematic

• Thanks 1