Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Last year I spent 12 minutes at Immigration. 

The last 15 years it took the officer who handle my extension request 5 minutes to approve it. 

However I had to wait sometimes 1/2 hour and more, before it was my turn. 

I always wear clothes according to the situation, meaning I don't wear the same kind of clothes when I am at the swimming pool than when I have to go to a government institute, and vice-versa. 

But we are all different. 

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Last week I went to a funeral.  Table of drunk thai men acting stupid, loud and showing no respect to the family.

Thai people... in fact many people of other nationality and ethnicity show their grief in different ways from the white man.

That was probably a brother, a cousin or some other close relative drowning their sorrows.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Great. As long as only most and not all of them do, I wont feel at all unusual.

No worries KK, you are NOT alone as there are plenty other Greta Garbo fan club members out there in sports, cargos and crocs, driving a 'tuna'.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

At immigration, tax, land and transport offices, including Pattaya/Jomtien, I see MOST Thais wearing long pants.

You are right, I must follow their example and drive like a lunatic, pee at the roadside and pick my nose and chew with my mouth open at restaurants! 

On 7/1/2019 at 2:52 PM, Nuddy said:

And I think one needs to get a haircut before one goes to a government office.

I have had long hair all my adult life, and it is not changing for anybody, especially Thai immigration, I have no respect for them, but will always try to be polite.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I must follow their example... 

I only pick up the good things from the citizens from another country than mine, not the ones I consider as bad. 

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

I only pick up the good things from the citizens from another country than mine, not the ones I consider as bad. 

That's a good approach. Picking up the face game and sakdina from Thais ain't in the list of good things. They can keep their army ordained cultural mandates, including formal wear.

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Anyone turning up in those dreadful cargo shorts should be shown the door, seems to be the uniform of the dead beat foreigner.

Maybe you shouldn't act so pompous about what other expats do and don't do.  You should show more concern over immigrations anti-western policies.  What these people do has nothing to do with what you wear when summoned to immigration.

16 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Maybe you shouldn't act so pompous about what other expats do and don't do.  You should show more concern over immigrations anti-western policies.  What these people do has nothing to do with what you wear when summoned to immigration.

Nothing pompous about poking fun at scruffs turning up at immigration who endlessly moan about having to wait and 'jump through hoops' in order to stay here. Actually it's one of the easiest countries in the world to stay long term in, although you will be non resident. The least people can do is turn up not looking like a scarecrow, cargo shorts is about as low as you can go when it comes to dress sense.

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I always thought the Camel Active were rather smart. 

That's my daily wear. Good German brand. I think the shorts have lasted 11 years now, very comfy.

Maybe one could sew on a zipper to attach the long sleeves and legs when going to see the parole office at the local sauna office.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That's a good approach...

When I came here 19 years ago, to settle, I watched the way of driving of the Thai's. Never drove a car in my homeland, nor in another country. 

It was easy for me to decide I won't drive a car here as well. 

I went to Immigration and some other official institutions, was happy to see there was a kind of dress code, respected by a great majority of the attendees, just like in my homeland. 

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Anyone turning up in those dreadful cargo shorts should be shown the door, seems to be the uniform of the dead beat foreigner.

Yes.  I'm struggling to decide what's worse--the ugly cargo pants that stop half way between the knees and the ankles or those horrible baggy short shorts.  Nobody--and I mean nobody--looks good in either.

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

'...cargo pants that stop half way between the knees and the ankles...'   That's not half way.

You wrote, "Yes.  I'm struggling to decide what's worse--the ugly cargo pants that stop half way between the knees and the ankles or those horrible baggy short shorts.  Nobody--and I mean nobody--looks good in either"  

The photo above qualifies under "either."

Looking good is the man.  Looking appropriate is another issue altogether.  Handsome guys look good in anything or nothing.    

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You wrote, "Yes.  I'm struggling to decide what's worse--the ugly cargo pants that stop half way between the knees and the ankles or those horrible baggy short shorts.  Nobody--and I mean nobody--looks good in either"  

The photo above qualifies under "either."

Looking good is the man.  Looking appropriate is another issue altogether.  Handsome guys look good in anything or nothing.    

Doesn't qualify under 'either' in my book. I referred to baggy short shorts and cargo pants that stop half way between the knees and the ankles.  The photo you posted isn't either of them.  

Just now, newnative said:

Doesn't qualify under 'either' in my book. I referred to baggy short shorts and cargo pants that stop half way between the knees and the ankles.  The photo you posted isn't either of them.  

A pedantic cargo shorts argument.  I think that's a first.  Congrats.  

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No.  As long as you know the difference between a tourist and a long stay retirement extension/visa you'll be OK.  

Ah good, I know that one: none whatsoever, both can be thrown out any time without a second thought.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:18 PM, DrTuner said:

In primary school I wore jeans, in high school I wore jeans, in university I wore jeans, at work I wore jeans. Now that I'm retired I wear beach shorts. That's what tourists wear and that's what the "non-immigrant" means. It's the official trendywear of the perpetual tourists. The civil servants serving my perpetual tourist arse should wear their uniforms and go yes sir right away sir oui bwana. Ugh.

i have never worn jeans in my life

8 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Nothing pompous about poking fun at scruffs turning up at immigration who endlessly moan about having to wait and 'jump through hoops' in order to stay here. Actually it's one of the easiest countries in the world to stay long term in, although you will be non resident. The least people can do is turn up not looking like a scarecrow, cargo shorts is about as low as you can go when it comes to dress sense.

Well having been to the immigration office in both long trousers and shorts, i can honestly say the waiting time is just the same , the hoops to jump through are just the same, the fines and paperwork are just the same

so for me, shorts and some sort of shirt, and stuff em !

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

"Easiest countries in the world to stay long term," Lol.  Where did you live before coming to Thailand, North Korea?  Lol

7 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

"Easiest countries in the world to stay long term," Lol.  Where did you live before coming to Thailand, North Korea?  Lol

You can stay long term in NK, but you may not like the accommodation or the conditions

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

'jump through hoops'

No we have to 'dance through hoops'.

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Actually it's one of the easiest countries in the world to stay long term in,

No it isn't. Why do you think people are moving to adjacent and nearby ones. 

Archived