Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

You dont seem to understand. I live in a beach resort. I dont work. I am a permanent tourist. Every day is indeed a day on the beach for me.

Any business or government organisation that doesnt grasp that simple fact is a bit daft to say the least. If they want me to stay here and spend my money here then they need to bend themselves to my requirements, not try to bend me to theirs. I am not married to Thailand by any stretch of the imagination.

I am clean and tidy and I dress in a manner that is acceptable in every shop, restaurant, hotel, bank, hospital and other business in town, and that really should be enough for anyone. Even more so if their main business is dealing with tourists like me, such as is Immigration's main business.

Shorts and tee shirt are not appropriate at Temples, Palaces or government offices.  

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm not a tourist.  I've always thought Thai Immigration was there to protect Thai people from low lives entering Thailand.  I never thought they were there to serve me.  

Unless you're on PR or naturalized Thai, you are on temporary permit, i.e. tourist. Check your passport if in doubt. The immigration office in Jomthien has nothing to do with people entering Thailand, but all to do with making the tourists jump various inane hoops and collecting tea money. 

34 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Unless you're on PR or naturalized Thai, you are on temporary permit, i.e. tourist. Check your passport if in doubt. The immigration office in Jomthien has nothing to do with people entering Thailand, but all to do with making the tourists jump various inane hoops and collecting tea money. 

Nope.  1.  I entered on a long stay visa for the purpose of retirement.  2.  I entered Thailand and was checked by Thai Immigration to make sure I was not a low life.  3.  I go to an Immigration office once a year to make sure I'm not a low life and am allowed to retire here one more year.  4.  I don't have to pay tea money because I wear long pants and white shirt to Immigration office (my opinion). I spent 12 minutes total at Immigration last year.  😀  The first time I came to Thailand I worked for and with the Thai army and was not a tourist.  

34 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nope.  1.  I entered on a long stay visa for the purpose of retirement.  2.  I entered Thailand and was checked by Thai Immigration to make sure I was not a low life.  3.  I go to an Immigration office once a year to make sure I'm not a low life and am allowed to retire here one more year.  4.  I don't have to pay tea money because I wear long pants and white shirt to Immigration office (my opinion). I spent 12 minutes total at Immigration last year.  😀  The first time I came to Thailand I worked for and with the Thai army and was not a tourist.  

I have resided in Thailand for several years and at no time was ever given any test by immigration that would identify me or anyone else as a "low life."  

Maybe it was something you said or your physical appearance that would make immigration administer such a test.  Good to hear you passed their "low life" test.  Actually, I have met a few immigration officers who would find it very difficult to pass a low life test.

As far as immigration processing your one year visa extension in 12 minutes, would indicate someone at immigration is giving you preferential treatment.  Generally, people will do special favors at immigration for monetary compensation or as a favor to someone who has a relative working in immigration.

Anyway, good for you for having the foresight to wear long pants and a white shirt to the immigration office.  I'm sure there are many posters that appreciate your advise.    

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Absolutely. But I dont have Thai friends or family so I just dont need anything more appropriate than shorts and a t-shirt. I'm clean and tidy and that's all that should matter to anyone.

Not being prepared to make an effort to be respectful may be one the reasons you don't have Thai friends... Just sayin'....

Clean and tidy is all very well, but clean and tidy shorts & T-shirt are frowned upon in government offices...  hence the message to 'dress smart'....  But no one is twisting anyone's arm, people are free to dress how they like. However, when immigration or any other office treat these 'rebels' less than favorably I wonder if these same people would then be first to claim the 'racism' card, and snivel they are being treated unfairly, maybe even start a TV thread about poor treatment !!!

At a CW a few weeks back the IO's were in a group having a chat wearing...furry slippers lol

I was annoyed they were not being respectful  to farang !!

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not being prepared to make an effort to be respectful may be one the reasons you don't have Thai friends... Just sayin'....

The reason I dont have any Thai friends is that I'm not interested in having any.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Shorts and tee shirt are not appropriate at Temples, Palaces or government offices.  

Great. I dont go to any such places apart from the Jomtien tax office and the Pattaya DMV office, neither of which has any problems with the way I dress. Indeed I see many Thais wearing shorts in both places.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:48 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

* Prostitutes are legal in Nevada, not in Pattaya.

* You can legally buy alcohol 24/7 in Nevada, not Pattaya.

* If they're going to play golf, why not play on the 185 courses in Phoenix (November - May)?

* California has nice beaches, sunny weather, better food from all around the world and it's *cool*, not unbearably hot.

If people were "smart", then why would they go to Pattaya? 😚

They go to Patts maybe because the hookers resort guides are cheaper ?

Who gave you the pearl necklace?
[emoji6]

In grade school I wore a uniform.  In high school I wore a uniform.  College I wore sport coat, blue button down cotton shirt, regimental tie, khaki slacks and penny loafers. Working at my first job we were required to wear a white shirt and conservative suit preferably tailor made, wing tips and carry an umbrella.  The army dressed me in combat fatigues and dress uniforms after the army I continued to wear suite and tie every day for 40 years.  I lived in Florida and we still wore wool suits daily as did anyone of importance.   

So you would rather leave Thailand than put on trousers and a shirt with a collar?  It's not hard to believe you don't have any Thai friends.  

Below college
college.png.f87c4c2067f723a50d11c3e223a06eb9.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Stylish well pressed shorts, ironed shirt, quality shoes. Smart casual

If you dress like that in Jomtien, people will think you're a creature from outer space. 

14 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Thai citizens do not need to go to immigration to request an extension of stay etc.  We need something from the IO.  If it helps getting it faster, easier etc by dressing in a pair of slacks and a decent shirt, it won't kill me to do so for a few times a year.  

Perhaps doing the extension on Christmas day and attend wearing a full Santa outfit and dispense gifts to all and sundry would get the job done smoothly.

Where can I borrow a sleigh?

Archived