Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

No argument about showing respect, stylish shorts are seen in many places, including first class lounges

Yes, and it is not that they look down on. Unfortunately their are a few that visit immigration in 99 baht beach shorts, and then everybody else have to suffer the consequences. Same like with to many foreigners trying to live in Thailand on tourist visas, then the rules get harder and the ones that goes by the rules feel the squeeze.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 2/3 years back was the last time I wore long trousers and shoes to the Jomtien Immi office.

At that time the heavens opened with thunder & lightning and the usual power cuts. With, as many will have witnessed, Soi 5 turning into a raging torrent (by no means an overstatement) and the car park ending up as a lake. I waited until way past 5pm before wading back to my pickup parked on 2nd Road. My shoes were well sodden.

If they sort out the drainage on Soi 5 I would go back to doing as they 'request'. Until then..........

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Immigration encourages smartness in dress code....I encourage Thai immigration smartness (honesty, consistency, and transparency) in apply immigration laws.  Bunch of idiots!  

Why don´t you tell them your opinion together with your next visit. :sorry:

I saw many signs like this in Phuket at different goverment offices, including immigration.

And they were already in place in 2017. Of course at Buddhist temples too.

I prefer wearing long shorts, covering my knees. Long pants are too hot and they can catch onto the motorcycle pegs.

Never had any problems, even in Penang and Phnom Penh, getting non-o and tourist visas respectively.

non-o 1 year extension, 90 days, get address certificate

(they keep asking me 100thb for it, but on the wall it says "this service is free", and after i mention it they ask boss, and he says ok ok, for driving license free)

- no problem.

But I did wear nice thick polo shirt.

I heard somewhere that Thais find it very important how they look, especially clothes.

Regular showers, change clothes every day or two, just look nice.

Only once I was stopped by a guard - at the Provincial Court.

I was just tagging along with a friend, not a big deal for me. Waited outside,and I understood that some places require official clothes.

FWIW, I've visited Immigration in Jomtien several times over the years. I used to wear long trousers (Chinos) and a plain polo or well ironed collared shirt, but this last time I wore clean, over the knee shorts and a polo or well ironed collared shirt (I forget which)

I found no discernible difference in how i was treated but then every time I've been clean, shaved, hair combed and, been polite and softly spoken. I rather think that the fact that I had my documents ready and in order and well presented could have helped.

Oh and the year that Thailand was in mourning for the late King, i wore long black trousers and a black polo shirt. Might be my imagination, but I felt like i was getting approving looks from the staff.

Bottom line, IMO, is it's a Government office and you want their first impression of you to be favourable - "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" 

28 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Immigration encourages smartness in dress code....I encourage Thai immigration smartness (honesty, consistency, and transparency) in apply immigration laws.  Bunch of idiots!  

And people wonder why they have a hard time at Immigration.  ????????????

26 minutes ago, dabhand said:

About 2/3 years back was the last time I wore long trousers and shoes to the Jomtien Immi office.

At that time the heavens opened with thunder & lightning and the usual power cuts. With, as many will have witnessed, Soi 5 turning into a raging torrent (by no means an overstatement) and the car park ending up as a lake. I waited until way past 5pm before wading back to my pickup parked on 2nd Road. My shoes were well sodden.

If they sort out the drainage on Soi 5 I would go back to doing as they 'request'. Until then..........

Makes a lot of sense.  Rain and long pants.  Not getting an extension.  What's to worry about.  

8 minutes ago, VBF said:

FWIW, I've visited Immigration in Jomtien several times over the years. I used to wear long trousers (Chinos) and a plain polo or well ironed collared shirt, but this last time I wore clean, over the knee shorts and a polo or well ironed collared shirt (I forget which)

I found no discernible difference in how i was treated but then every time I've been clean, shaved, hair combed and, been polite and softly spoken. I rather think that the fact that I had my documents ready and in order and well presented could have helped.

Oh and the year that Thailand was in mourning for the late King, i wore long black trousers and a black polo shirt. Might be my imagination, but I felt like i was getting approving looks from the staff.

Bottom line, IMO, is it's a Government office and you want their first impression of you to be favourable - "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" 

I got the same (appreciative I think) looks wearing a black t shirt and shorts  - not at Immigration, but just on the street during the mourning period.

You could be the next 'Poster Boy' for Immigration Dress Code.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I usually wear long pants and long sleeved shirts to immigration, bank etc, but then again I get seriously cold in AC'd environments like that, so might be more for my own comfort, than the expected dress code ????

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, and it is not that they look down on. Unfortunately their are a few that visit immigration in 99 baht beach shorts, and then everybody else have to suffer the consequences. Same like with to many foreigners trying to live in Thailand on tourist visas, then the rules get harder and the ones that goes by the rules feel the squeeze.

That's right ! We ALL have to suffer the consequences . One reason when i see a foreign ragamuffin or muffins heading in my direction i get as far away as possible from them. Because chances are good they are going to pull some kind of stupid disrespect stunt and its going to spill over onto me. Its happened so often i know what to expect.

26 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

That's right ! And you wonder why there is so much failure with the Thai women here. Would you get involved with a prostitute in your home country ?

I married two of them.  One from NYC and another from Louisiana.  So?  

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I married two of them.  One from NYC and another from Louisiana.  So?  

The odds of a positive outcome are stacked against you. Hardly a day goes by where you do not hear of another horror story. Ever wonder why so many foreigners commit suicide in Thailand and there is a very high rate of alcoholism ? Its called making bad choices. In my opinion foreigners here are just being lazy or going after the lowest possible outcome. it rarely ever ends well. But that is another subject.

My last visit from memory was dressed in dress shorts polo shirt and dock shoes as it was stupidly hot

Normally i would wear my levis jeans 5 years old and normal long sleeved shirt (all clean and fresh)

I would happily wear both to meet clients and probably both sets of clothes cost more than an IM offices monthly wages 

At the end of the day remember they are there to serve US!

5 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Considering that I live close to Sodom & Gomorrah and mix with a variety of different expats with equally different origins, UK, Aus, NZ, Germany, USA, Canada, well nearly the whole of Europe I have yet to find 1 unkempt untidy unwashed expat, so I refute your 80% to 90% as total hogwash, I have been here for close on 8 years and visited for many years prior to retiring here, so please don't lump us into the same basket.

I think you may have been observing short time holiday makers not your typical expat. 

My thoughts also, a lot of the scruffy people seem to be holiday tourists........2 or 3 years ago Russian & Chinese weren't especially well dressed

Having said that, I have seen many scruffily dressed (and smelly) people at the IMO

When I visit the IMO

I usually dress in my everyday made to measure attire .....  (Bermuda length chino shorts & tailored shirt) 

But if I am required to wear long trousers & shirt.......so be it, I will

I may draw the line at socks though......not that it will be noticed

For me one of the advantages of moving to the tropics when I retired was that I would not have to wear anything more formal than shorts and a t-shirt and trainers for the rest of my days. In the last 10 years I have managed very nicely to live here and to visit a dozen other countries very extensively without even owning a pair of trousers. When here I occasionally eat and stay at 5-star hotels across the country, and none of them has ever refused access to me and my shorts.

I also have no trouble with my shorts when getting my driving licence renewed or when dealing with banks and the tax office etc.

If Jomtien immigration - or anyone else here or anywhere - thinks that I am going to buy and wear trousers for their benefit they will need to think again as I would rather sell up and leave the country.

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Most of us would dress in the right way for entering a government office in our home countries, why not show the same respect here too?

No way! Not in Australia! I’d always wear long pants and proper shirt visiting Thai immigration or any other Thai government department though, as it’s not my country.

12 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Because most foreigners have the "I don,t give a S%#T what the Thais think" attitude and then wonder why they have problems everywhere they go.

I might if they did!

12 hours ago, potless said:

Dont most people just dress for the occasion? I've worn a shirt and trousers to immigration when renewing an extension but I'll wager that some of my tee shirts cost more than their entire uniforms, complete with plastic shoes. Ultimately,wear what makes you happy.

I really don't care what my T-Shirt or shorts cost relative to another person's. But since immigration often make me stand in a line trailing down a hot car park for a long spell, and then stand around in a crowd in an office where the AC is struggling, I would like to remain as cool as possible. Not my fault the IOs have to wear their military uniform, medals, and badges like some banana republic. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I really don't care what my T-Shirt or shorts cost relative to another person's. But since immigration often make me stand in a line trailing down a hot car park for a long spell, and then stand around in a crowd in an office where the AC is struggling, I would like to remain as cool as possible. Not my fault the IOs have to wear their military uniform, medals, and badges like some banana republic. 

Oh the love bling

Archived