Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

For me one of the advantages of moving to the tropics when I retired was that I would not have to wear anything more formal than shorts and a t-shirt and trainers for the rest of my days. In the last 10 years I have managed very nicely to live here and to visit a dozen other countries very extensively without even owning a pair of trousers. When here I occasionally eat and stay at 5-star hotels across the country, and none of them has ever refused access to me and my shorts.

I also have no trouble with my shorts when getting my driving licence renewed or when dealing with banks and the tax office etc.

If Jomtien immigration - or anyone else here or anywhere - thinks that I am going to buy and wear trousers for their benefit they will need to think again as I would rather sell up and leave the country.

Might be time to go i think

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Eh .! Whatever next .. A requirement to rent those big baggy pantaloon stride things like they have in the temples on the door at the Immo' office for the time you're in there .. 

I can see an opening here for some up and coming business person to open clothing hire shops outside IO's. 

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

More incredible is that you have to do this  imo.

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
10 hours ago, marcusarelus said:
Any Thai government employee, any Thai bank employee, any polite Thai person when going to an event of any importance, any teacher, any adult doing anything of any importance.  

Ok but Thais don't sweat or feel the heat like we do

Like you do.  I have lived in the tropics all my life Asia and South Florida.  Bankers also wear dark suits in South Florida and the snowbirds from NYC sweat.   

Controlling the attire of visitors to Imm. offices is just one more bit of control, serves no purpose other than an ego stroke for the rule makers.  I bet most of the male officers have no objection to seeing a bit of nubile Nordic cleavage.

4 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

No way! Not in Australia! I’d always wear long pants and proper shirt visiting Thai immigration or any other Thai government department though, as it’s not my country.

No way??? Not in Australia??? And after that you agree with what I say??? Ok, that´s wierd.

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

Ditto that.  They laugh at me too.  But I'm simply comfortable dressing that way.  Business casual.  Interesting that my first flight from LA to BKK was Economy.  Thought the Economy seat were pretty comfortable.  Turned around and looked in the back and realized they upgraded me to Business Class for free.  There's a lesson there.

36 minutes ago, daoyai said:

I bet most of the male officers have no objection to seeing a bit of nubile Nordic cleavage.

Although I wonder how they feel when they have to deal with Mr Farang's assistant, one of their own, whose nipples are looking him in the eyes and most of her bottom is on show. 

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I agree with you totally except for one key sentence .... 

Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Not at all. These are Thai Bureaucrats and resepct is demanded from the lower levels of society, and that means YOU! This has nothing to do about disrespecting Thai people, although that is the first thing that is said.  Try and maintain a straight face when that howler is tossed up. :thumbsup: 

20 minutes ago, madmen said:

In Australia like most countries government positions are know as public servants meaning my tax helps pay their wage and they work for ME so no I don't put on fancy dress

But one hopes you at least wear smart attire as opposed to looking like a scrag de luxe

Just now, Lucius verus said:

Just wait for the next police crackdown on middle-aged foreign men wearing cargo shorts.

My guess is they will harass the Scandinavians first.

Fine?

2000 baht...

Nah they are leaving according to a new report ????

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Have you forgotten that one of Thailand’s main income streams is tourism? You should go get a job with immigration: you’re a smarter pants lad now aren’t you? 

Just kidding. (Wait: that’ll be banned next!.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I can understand why they laugh at you.

I have never been refused a visa or bank accound and i am one of your incredibles that wear a nice pair of shorts and usually a polo shirt.

Still if it makes you feel better dressed in a suit in this climate you go for it.

5 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

I was at jomtien immi sometime ago, this senior immi officer got up and ordered this farang sheila out in no uncertain terms, extremely loud voice, she was just wearing a very brief top. 

Only the top>>>Nothing else??

1 hour ago, connda said:

Ditto that.  They laugh at me too.  But I'm simply comfortable dressing that way.  Business casual.  Interesting that my first flight from LA to BKK was Economy.  Thought the Economy seat were pretty comfortable.  Turned around and looked in the back and realized they upgraded me to Business Class for free.  There's a lesson there.

That's very rare maybe economy was full .

You can dress that way for 1000 flights and it will never happen

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

100% with you on this.    

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

If you add a full body shave, I can't see why not.

Thanks you your advice i will get waxed on way there 

Now where do you suggest i affix my medals left right or centre i dont want to appear low class

Archived