Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

This is Thailand in case you need reminding! So it's their Game and the Ball belongs to Thailand. So if you are not enjoying their game then please board the next Aircraft, Ferry or Taxi. Would you attend an Interview back in your Homeland in Beachwear? Disrespecting Thai Authorities simply adds fuel to fire of our safe passage so kindly do the right thing for the rest of us who wish to reside peacefully!

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure the ones claiming they only wear sandals, shorts, sleeveless shirts,

don't wear this outfit when attending a funeral. 

Why? 

Basically out of respect. 

So why not extend this respect to other circumstances. 

Let us turn this around. I am requesting that immigration get smart. Suggestion number one. Once a married couple have established their bona fides, and jumped over the ridiculous hoops to prove that they are a real couple, do not make them repeat this incredibly stupid exercise every single year. It wastes our time, your time, and is rather demeaning to us. Get smart please.

And I will continue to wear my shorts to immigration. Sorry. Respect has to be earned, and never, ever should be freely given.

18 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

Utter nonsense. Of course you can still look smart in shorts and a t-shirt, have you seen how much smart t shirts and shorts cost? Multi millionaires all over the world wear shorts and t shirts in summer months. Clearly you are the old fashioned type.

Sure you're right. But find one that dresses that way to go to immigration - anywhere in the world.

3 hours ago, madmen said:

In Australia like most countries government positions are know as public servants meaning my tax helps pay their wage and they work for ME so no I don't put on fancy dress

take note everybody----this sums it up nicely...sure this isnt Australia, but these people are only public servants, there to provide a service...

why should a customer be expected to worship them ??

i  am always polite when dealing with these people...

except when working, i have worn shorts and tee shirts all my life...it has never caused my any problems, anywhere that ive travelled to...i dont intend to change in my last 30yrs of live,..

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

For me one of the advantages of moving to the tropics when I retired was that I would not have to wear anything more formal than shorts and a t-shirt and trainers for the rest of my days. In the last 10 years I have managed very nicely to live here and to visit a dozen other countries very extensively without even owning a pair of trousers. When here I occasionally eat and stay at 5-star hotels across the country, and none of them has ever refused access to me and my shorts.

I also have no trouble with my shorts when getting my driving licence renewed or when dealing with banks and the tax office etc.

If Jomtien immigration - or anyone else here or anywhere - thinks that I am going to buy and wear trousers for their benefit they will need to think again as I would rather sell up and leave the country.

well said---i have NEVER  had problems wearing shorts, jandals and tee shirt----same same, in many countries around the world...

im not exactly poor, uneducated or stupid.... but i fail to see how wearing trousers can actually make me a better, more respectful person ????

many people seem to think those that wear suits are wealthier and more educated....what utter nonsense---i dont own a suit, but could be considered wealthy....  get real people....

Hello

I totally agree with this decision.. I always wear trousers and shirt or polo shirt when going to immigration or official places

Immigration officers are correctly dressed and they can the same from people attending immigration

Every time I go there are some expats with sleeveless T shirts, flip flop and shorts, even with stomach hanging outside and fur coming out of their chest or under arms, hardly shaved or with hair correctly combed.... Disgusting

This is a matter of respect for yourselves, for other people attending immigration or whatever office and for the employees..

Have a nice day

18 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Pretty sure the ones claiming they only wear sandals, shorts, sleeveless shirts,

don't wear this outfit when attending a funeral. 

Why? 

Basically out of respect. 

So why not extend this respect to other circumstances. 

fair comment, but not every body wears a suit... more  casual wear is ok.. i often see people wearing shorts and shoes{not jandals}...

once again , showing respect is NOT  about 'dressing up'... 

its how one talks and acts, that matters , not image..

thailand is all about image----the truth doesnt matter....

Flip flops ,shorts,singlets ,tattoos not a good look.Having paid a lot of money for the tatts you can understand why they want to display them in all their glory ???? Is it so hard to look respectable when visting Gov Offices and shopping centres ?

Next time I visit them I am going to get one of those lovely white sailor suits that they like to wear and will adorn myself with hundreds of medal ribbons in keeping with their behaviour. I already have most of their medals - Pulling up my trousers medal, not pissing down my leg medal, wiping my bottom medal, left shoe on left foot right shoe on right foot medal, vacant empty head medal, looking down my nose at others medal and my Thainess medal.

20 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

No shorts on men. ?? Is this Thailand?? "long shorts" are worn by men all over Thailand

..next thing there will be 'temple pants' to rent whilst we're being processed.

Agree with the last poster here. Its simply showing respect for heading to a Government office and meeting with Officials. Whats the problem in dressing appropriately for the occasion and not as if you've just come off the beach. If you do expect the same in treatment, you show respect you get respect, you don't show respect get what you deserve. You wouldn't do it in your home country. 

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

I shall continue wearing smart shorts and a polo shirt to immigration and the bank and my embassy and just about anywhere else I chose, as I always have done, without any issues whatsoever.  In fact I'm off to do my 90 day in the next couple of hours and that's exactly how I shall be dressed. I can't fit into my 3 pieces suits any more, anyway!  Look around you, the locals are dressed worse than most of the expats are.

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

No i am not wrong. What do you think this story is about. wake up everybody.

I'll leave all that Hi-So stuff up to those that think it impresses people.  I get by quite well by being able to speak the language fluently, visiting temples in my non-collared shirts and shorts; and, respecting people.  

9 minutes ago, murraynz said:

showing respect is NOT  about 'dressing up'... 

its how one talks and acts

For me it is all of these mentioned : dressing, talking, acting.

But we are all different. 

For instance being Belgian, it is for the majority of us an abomination to see somebody in shorts with shoes, add to this black socks and it becomes a "monstrosity". 

When I saw 'smarten up' in the headline I thought the article would be about being more intelligent regarding having all the right documents when we come to Immigration so the lines move faster.  Hey, that's not a bad idea, either.  With regard to how we dress, I always look neat and tidy, wear a collared shirt, etc.  But. this is hot Thailand and I will continue to wear nicely tailored walking shorts.

11 minutes ago, mikosan said:

Look around you, the locals are dressed worse than most of the expats are.

Definitely not everywhere. 

But if you speak about Pattaya, I will agree with you. 

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Dressing well does NOT fix a flawed application. SORRY!

I think you miss the point. If you do not dress smartly you, in the eyes of the locals, are showing disrespect. And if you show disrespect to an immigration officer, or any Thai in a uniform, they are likely to 'invent' problems for you as a punishment. We all know how each individual officer can demand documents on a whim, and it's no good protesting that you didn't need them before. You indicate by your dress that you don't respect them, so they will not treat you with respect either. It makes life a lot easier if you can dress in a respectful manner. If you are too lazy to do that or refuse to do it out of bloody-mindedness and disrespect for the local culture, then you run a risk of running into trouble.

I think the request for no shorts is a bit OTT, but I do agree that the people I see in immigration ( or banks etc) clad in flimsy shorts , flip flops and "Chang" singlets amazes me. If you want to earn respect from the authorities you need to demonstrate reciprocal signs of respect.

Same at immigration when entering the country. Turn up looking like a hippy and you are just inviting attention from the IOs.

46 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Sure you're right. But find one that dresses that way to go to immigration - anywhere in the world.

Yes, not disagreeing, I was being more general in response to the nonsensical claim that you can't look smart in shorts and a t-shirt.

5 hours ago, daoyai said:

Controlling the attire of visitors to Imm. offices is just one more bit of control, serves no purpose other than an ego stroke for the rule makers.  I bet most of the male officers have no objection to seeing a bit of nubile Nordic cleavage.

But not on blokes...............................:thumbsup:

Its ok for locals to dress as they like, show excessive flesh, manhandle you, urinate wherever they please. 

It's their country. 

But tourists are expected to dress and act responsibly. 

They are ambassadors for their own countries. 

But sometimes, it's "When in Rome, do as the Roman's do"

But expect to be fined for it...

Archived