Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai officialdom is impressed by appearances so it is always best to dress the part. They are much more likely to fix small errors in the paperwork for you if you look good (same as anywhere in the world, I guess).

I always wear long pants and long-sleeved shirt outside the house, but it is more for protection against the sun than appearances.

One of the first things I learned in Thailand is to dress up when meeting Thai people. More opportunities will come your way, and you are more likely to get what you want. 

Unfortunately, the merits of your case don't matter so much as looking the part. That's just the way it is.

These signs have been displayed since I have been coming to thailand for 5 years near the immigration or temples - total non story trying to make people concerned over nothing

Go outside and have some fun life really isnt that bad

Look how strong the baht is getting - enjoy it stop being grumpy old men

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

Why the complaints?  Very little to ask of us to dress properly when doing business, visiting temples etc.  As we would in our own countries.  Sadly, the inappropriate actions or appearance of many foreigners cause them to take these actions.  And, you can take some satisfaction as you will probably be cleaner and more appropriately attired than many local persons and others doing business there as well.  I for one, and I am certain all of you have all seen someone improperly attired any where here and hoped that person was not a representative of your own country. 

I do not think that dressing in smart shorts and a polo shirt is inappropriate dress in a hot country, when visiting immigration, the bank, a temple or pretty much anywhere else for that matter.

Just now, mikosan said:

I do not think that dressing in smart shorts and a polo shirt is inappropriate dress in a hot country, when visiting immigration, the bank, a temple or pretty much anywhere else for that matter.

dont worry its not and no one said you cannot wear that just some morons here who need a hug

20 hours ago, NightSky said:

No no no...

of course the sign says 'underwear only' 

Its written somewhere. 

Actually illegal to go out without wearing underwear here.

My lady used to go me for turning out commando. 

Maybe another just for tourists law?

Instead of posting only NEGATIVES ( Red diagonal slash for DON'T)

How about a few POSITIVE Signs ... like 

PLEASE DO TAKE A SHOWER

& SHAMPOO

& SHAVE   (yes I see that beards are in fashion - but a neat trim never hurts)

BEFORE ENTERING ......

Some times while waiting in Immigration (Jomtien) I have to hold my nose

to block out the odour of the guy sitting next to me ... who never heard of SOAP !

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4 hours ago, connda said:

Ditto that.  They laugh at me too.  But I'm simply comfortable dressing that way.  Business casual.  Interesting that my first flight from LA to BKK was Economy.  Thought the Economy seat were pretty comfortable.  Turned around and looked in the back and realized they upgraded me to Business Class for free.  There's a lesson there.

When I flew back from Vietnam the first time if you wore your uniform you flew for free as I remember it.  Clothes do make the man.  

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Let us turn this around. I am requesting that immigration get smart. Suggestion number one. Once a married couple have established their bona fides, and jumped over the ridiculous hoops to prove that they are a real couple, do not make them repeat this incredibly stupid exercise every single year. It wastes our time, your time, and is rather demeaning to us. Get smart please.

And I will continue to wear my shorts to immigration. Sorry. Respect has to be earned, and never, ever should be freely given.

I was in the Army and respect is given to people depending on rank.  Sorry you have limited world experiences.  

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I was in the Army and respect is given to people depending on rank.

I disagree. If the high rank officer is an idiot (most military officers are) and you still have to follow orders, it's not about respect, fear would the the right word.

14 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

The odds of a positive outcome are stacked against you. Hardly a day goes by where you do not hear of another horror story. Ever wonder why so many foreigners commit suicide in Thailand and there is a very high rate of alcoholism ? Its called making bad choices. In my opinion foreigners here are just being lazy or going after the lowest possible outcome. it rarely ever ends well. But that is another subject.

19 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

Utter nonsense. Of course you can still look smart in shorts and a t-shirt, have you seen how much smart t shirts and shorts cost? Multi millionaires all over the world wear shorts and t shirts in summer months. Clearly you are the old fashioned type.

I was in Chaengwattana last week and while waiting outside in the shopping zone, looked around and saw no men in shorts, several thai men with flip flops though.  I only saw 2 caucasian men inside with shorts, the one near me was wearing bermuda shorts, and a newish Adidas Climacool shirt and very nice tennis shoes.  He was half my age also had no beard, short hair.   Then there were several younger chinese men 20-30 yo with shorts, also. 

Saw many Thai women inside filling out TM30 forms 

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

I disagree. If the high rank officer is an idiot (most military officers are) and you still have to follow orders, it's not about respect, fear would e the right word.

Saluting and coming to attention and piping the admiral aboard are signs of respect.  No way to know if the person is an idiot or not.  

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

I have hardly ever been at my local IO, but when I have, I wear the same as I would wear going to a shoppng mall, long trousers with pockets on them, trainers or sandals with socks, and a top. Just plain casual dress.

Why should I wear anything different when I go to an IO?

Considering where it comes from, I'm not surprised that this isn't about being smart, but about dressing smart. Same as with Thai colleges - as long as a PowerPoint presentation looks neat and a lot of time has been spent on bells and whistles, who cares if there's little substance?

20 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

What exactly are you confused about? I am an expat but I dress smartly, unlike the vast majority. Clear now?

Some peoples opinion about dressing "smartly" differ from others.

15 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I disagree. If the high rank officer is an idiot (most military officers are) and you still have to follow orders, it's not about respect, fear would the the right word.

Gotta let all that fear go man -55

Immigration officers whether deserving or not make decisions about whether you can continue you stay here. You dress up, shave, smile,  and follow the rules once a year at the IO and get your annual extension. 

Then you can come on TV and bitch about it

5 minutes ago, Barry343 said:

I always dress well when going to Immigration shirt with a collar, approprate shotrts   I will keep wearing this, I am sure there will be no complaints. image.jpeg.a96bc845e5c6301dd8392500434b7d10.jpeg

You look like a model there Barry, are you sure the brown shoes go with the light blue shirt 55

Archived