Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

* Prostitutes are legal in Nevada, not in Pattaya.

* You can legally buy alcohol 24/7 in Nevada, not Pattaya.

* If they're going to play golf, why not play on the 185 courses in Phoenix (November - May)?

* California has nice beaches, sunny weather, better food from all around the world and it's *cool*, not unbearably hot.

If people were "smart", then why would they go to Pattaya? ????

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

No argument about showing respect, stylish shorts are seen in many places, including first class lounges

I have no objection to men wearing shorts, but IMO they are certainly not nice to look at, stylish or not.

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Considering that I live close to Sodom & Gomorrah and mix with a variety of different expats with equally different origins, UK, Aus, NZ, Germany, USA, Canada, well nearly the whole of Europe I have yet to find 1 unkempt untidy unwashed expat, so I refute your 80% to 90% as total hogwash, I have been here for close on 8 years and visited for many years prior to retiring here, so please don't lump us into the same basket.

I think you may have been observing short time holiday makers not your typical expat. 

Good post. I fully agree, but the many farangs both on holiday and living here, especially in Pattaya, walking about the streets and shopping malls with no shirts on are disgusting.

1 hour ago, bristolgeoff said:

anywhere else is ok.and accepted

Not that sure, many offices have dress codes, for their staff. 

Of course for a tourist/expat it doesn't apply, and practically no Thai will tell you something. 

However they may think, judge and condemn. 

6 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

* Prostitutes are legal in Nevada, not in Pattaya.

* You can legally buy alcohol 24/7 in Nevada, not Pattaya.

* If they're going to play golf, why not play on the 185 courses in Phoenix (November - May)?

* California has nice beaches, sunny weather, better food from all around the world and it's *cool*, not unbearably hot.

If people were "smart", then why would they go to Pattaya? ????

Everything is cheaper?

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Perhaps he was absent from the color matching course?

Personally I think we are now opening a can of worms 

Brown shoes go with shorts BUT i believe section 2 of Royal Thai Immigration colour matching course will advise on colours of shirt which compliment shorts.

Other wise a stamp will placed passport notifying on aforesaid mismatch and next years visa fee will be increased

In my opinion, tailored shorts, shirt and sandals (with or without socks) looks much smarter in this climate than trousers with proper shoes and socks. Walk a hundred yards in the humidity and trousers look like old rags. Sensible people dress for the climate, only simpletons dress formally and sweat profusely. Of course, what the Thais should realise is that farang, being unused to this climate, sweat more than Thais and allowances should be made. People can look very smart dressed for the climate and I don't see why people should be told to wear "longs" just to visit a seedy government office with insufficient air conditioning.

It's just another aspect of "face" - appearance is everything, substance is nothing. On the other hand the "dress for success" mantra has been prevalent in some circles in the West (I exclude feminists for obvious reasons)

This is fantastic! Thailand really does a great job of maintaining their culture amongst a profitable tourism economy. Indonesia could take notes, particularly Bali. Bali has chosen profit over cultural sovereignty. I wish I could have visited it in the 80's... wait! I take that back. I would have only been 3 years old. haha. 

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

Fifteen years ago I went to the Bangkok Immigration at the old location to apply for my first retirement extension. In the queue ahead of me were two men, a matched pair. bald shaven heads, tattoos on upper limbs each wearing a grubby string vest, striped Speedo swimming shorts and flip flops. They were turned away.

19 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I was sent home to change from Samui DLT when applying for a license 7 years ago. Dress shorts were not allowed and they would not issue the license unless dressed to their standard. I have taken that to be Government Office policy ever since.

But shoes! How many Thais wear shoes (outside of the city/office workers)?

Nothing wrong with trousers socks and dress sandals.

20 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Please read the OP again. Recommendation, and will not be turned away was some key points. All other things are perfectly alright. Most of us would dress in the right way for entering a government office in our home countries, why not show the same respect here too?

No i wouldn't , i would wear whatever i had at the time, anything from clean and tidy to scruffy work clothes

I respect the person, not the clothes

Does me wearing shorts and sandals prevent them from doing their job correctly, if so, maybe they should go work elsewhere

Want me to wear nice clothes just so they can tell me they don't understand the rules, and make up any they see fit ?

I trest them with respect, till i find out otherwise, then i does not matter who or what they do. 

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Dressing well does NOT fix a flawed application. SORRY!

No it want but I am willing to bet a well dressed person who takes the time to look good will also have taken the time to make his application correct. It is just like the military they check you rack to see if it is made properly if it isn't on what else do you cut cornors

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I was in the Army and respect is given to people depending on rank.  Sorry you have limited world experiences.  

Why ?

does a pen pushing army clerk deserve respect more than say a plumber ?

How many actually serve at the front, , 

How many join the forces because they couldn't get a job anywhere else ?

Respect the person, not the clothes 

18 hours ago, madmen said:

No way am I wearing long pants in Pattaya. The only place its to be encouraged is in court on a felony charge so its smart casual for me and I may reconsider when IO's reconsider corruption

I don't think there is much corruption among IOs, a lot of unfairness yes, but little corruption.

The attitude of some posters is hard to comprehend, if an official department request a dress code, then it should be abided by, no questions asked.

People are going to immigration for a reason and usually require something out of the visit and yet some cannot be bothered to reciprocate by dressing appropriately.

Every time I have visited Jomtien IO it never ceases to amaze me how some people turn up there, showing a total lack of self respect or respect for the regulations, luckily for them I am not in charge, coz for sure I'd kick them out and tell them to return when they are properly dressed.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

For me it is all of these mentioned : dressing, talking, acting.

But we are all different. 

For instance being Belgian, it is for the majority of us an abomination to see somebody in shorts with shoes, add to this black socks and it becomes a "monstrosity". 

but would it prevent you from doing your job correctly ?

Their job is to check your papers, issue visa/stamps as necessary why would  someone in clean clothes prevent this and be disrespectful ? Smelly, yes but casual ?

I think most of the people wearing uniforms in this country are a disgrace to the uniforms, but that doesn't mean i would disrespect them, at first 

4 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Why ?

Discipline perhaps............. something you appear to lack or respect.

Or should all members of the armed forces be allowed to wear anything they feel like?

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
If they are super baggie yet your fat gut still hangs over the front I would say yes.

Who wears trousers in Thailand anyway? just old men really

If I had come to Thailand as a young man, I still would have been wearing trousers or denims, definitely not shorts. 

9 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Why ?

The clerk is not an officer and you don't salute him.  A Sergeant is not saluted (they work for a living).   An officer (and gentleman) is saluted.  Not a plumber.  You don't respect the man you respect the rank.  

A serf is supposed to doff his cap to the landed gentry.  Kids in Thailand or those of lower rank squat down when they walk past a man of higher rank so their head is lower than his.  It's the culture.  

cap.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The attitude of some posters is hard to comprehend, if an official department request a dress code, then it should be abided by, no questions asked.

People are going to immigration for a reason and usually require something out of the visit and yet some cannot be bothered to reciprocate by dressing appropriately.

Every time I have visited Jomtien IO it never ceases to amaze me how some people turn up there, showing a total lack of self respect or respect for the regulations, luckily for them I am not in charge, coz for sure I'd kick them out and tell them to return when they are properly dressed.

So you think an aresole in long strides is better than a mild respectful person in shorts ?

So you get dressed up to show power, ?

Yes we require the immigration to obey the rules and follow them, we provide the correct fees, paperwork, they provide the visas/stamps, that is their job, irrespective of whether they like or dislike the person requesting the visa/stamp

They sit on their arse, shuffling mountains of unwanted paperwork, in a basic office area, so dress casual dress code should have no bearing on them doing their job

But yes, No budgie smugglers, sweaty T shirts, and smelly armpits, but that applies to anywhere not just immigration

16 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

No i wouldn't , i would wear whatever i had at the time, anything from clean and tidy to scruffy work clothes

I respect the person, not the clothes

Does me wearing shorts and sandals prevent them from doing their job correctly, if so, maybe they should go work elsewhere

Want me to wear nice clothes just so they can tell me they don't understand the rules, and make up any they see fit ?

I trest them with respect, till i find out otherwise, then i does not matter who or what they do. 

No indeed, me neither. Government employees are paid by my taxes and have no right telling me how to dress as long as I'm not dressed offensively. That includes Thai Immigration, unless they want to waive all fees and give us their visas and certificates and permits for free, then they could tell you how to dress.

And as for the person who said about going to apply for a passport while not dressed up to the nines, get with the programme guy, it's all done online nowadays and it doesn't matter if you're stark staring naked when you make the application.

Please select from the catalogue enclosed an appropriate outfit to ensure you comply with the strict dress code now being enforced for Farangs when entering the Chonburi Immigration Office.  We apologize but the last item in our catalogue listing is out of stock due to its popularity.  The RTP thanks you again for your understanding and of making your life generally a APITA.  

Chonburi Immigration.Dress Code.png

Archived